Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Filling up my Indy!!
fullpint

posted on 1/10/11 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Filling up my Indy!!

Is there an art in filling one up First try I ended up with a load of fuel coming out the filler neck, I then had the fuel pump trigger half on only feul to come out from underneath!! May be the over flow pipe!!! Managed to get 3/4 of a tank full

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..
www.tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 1/10/11 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
I'm guessing that the filler is on the rear panel? Filler tubes on the rear panel are notoriously difficult to fill up, although I'm sure you'll get the knack after a bit of practice........

Phil

fullpint

posted on 1/10/11 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Phil, Yep filler is at the rear panel.. GBuess i will have to leave the dash switch on then and watch the fuel gauge move up...

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Marlon

posted on 1/10/11 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
If your filler is on the back panel then yes it is a pain to fill up. What I tend to do with mine is to squat down at the back of the car so I can see down the filler neck, only put around half the nozzle in and press lightly on the trigger so you can see the fuel flow at the elbow, then adjust angle and trigger until it flows at a sensible speed (still well below your tin top filling speed!) you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly.
hope this helps.
john

forgot to say that you at no point put the fuel nozzle all the way in, it either clicks off or spills out in some way.

jb

[Edited on 1/10/11 by Marlon]

Band Anyone?

Linky to SWMBO 's band
Linky to Brother in laws band
MKoc 1081

tompat3463

posted on 1/10/11 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve. There sure is a knack. U need to put the nozzle all the way in. As far as u can physically get it in but keeping the bend of the fuel nozzle facing down. The previous owner of that Indy used two pieces of tube and an alloy elbow. It could be set up better mate with some propper fuel filler hose.

All the best. Hope your enjoying her !!

fullpint

posted on 1/10/11 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Al. I will fill her up again tomorrow... Will take the wife out for a spin in her..
I still have a big on my face mate

Moorron

posted on 1/10/11 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
oh yes the amount of times i filled my right shoe up with petrol on my Indy, i got so fed up of it i removed the alloy cap and welded in a 15mm lip so its has to over come this before it shoots out.

It still stop it but makes it easier, my routine is to keep the ignition on (never been stopped yet) and fill it up slowly about a litre every 5 seconds and keep watching the fuel guage, filler location and the rate i am putting it in. Takes a while but with practice it can be done.

Only problem are those really annoying pumps that dont start and when you pull the trigger it delivers the petrol at full speed and as it takes a while to fill it up my back start to hurt from leaning over.

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

fullpint

posted on 1/10/11 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
good to see others have the same problem, thought it was just me

atm92484

posted on 1/10/11 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
I had to make a mental list of local stations with Locost friendly pumps. Some work better than others.

-Andrew
Build Log

bi22le

posted on 1/10/11 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Very glad my fuel cap is on the top of my rear tub. i have no issues.

even easy with a jerry can at track days. i can imagen you needing two pairs of hands to fill from a jerry can.

good luck and enjoy.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

coozer

posted on 1/10/11 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
You need a bleed tube from the tank to the top of the filler. That will help.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

welderman

posted on 2/10/11 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
I got a Halfords orange funnel it's hose is about a foot long and helps bypass the bend in your fuel filler hose. Just meant that I had to take it in the car. But helped me out loads

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

fullpint

posted on 2/10/11 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
That souns like a good plan Joe. Halfords here I come.. Dame that means I have to take the Mk Indy out again haha..

fullpint

posted on 28/9/12 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Well it took me nearly a year to sort this out. The problem was the hose joints!! Far to main clips so I purchased 9" of Dax flexi fuel hose (51mm)
Got rid of this lot;
Description
Description

Replaced it with a one piece job and have just filled her up with OUT any issues. Well happy now..
Description
Description

tompat3463

posted on 28/9/12 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
that'll do it

still enjoying her ??

had any major issues ??

[Edited on 28/9/12 by tompat3463]

fullpint

posted on 28/9/12 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
u2u sent.. I'm starnge seeing your photo of your car which is mine

wilkingj

posted on 2/10/12 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Very glad my fuel cap is on the top of my rear tub. i have no issues.

even easy with a jerry can at track days. i can imagen you needing two pairs of hands to fill from a jerry can.

good luck and enjoy.

You want something like this... Very useful it is.

LINKY

Available from various other emporiums.

As for the Filler being on the rear face of the tub. Why not move it to the top of the tub. Cover the hole with a Large Badge or reflector or something.

You know it makes sense

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.