Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Track Days
Fieldy

posted on 5/10/11 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Track Days

Hi

Looking to do a track day sometime soon and was wondering if anyone has any idea what db an R1 engine produces though a custom exhaust... do you think ill get away with the 98db limit or is it more likely that its over that?

Cheers
Matt

Nick DV

posted on 5/10/11 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Matt,

You are right to ask about exhausts, and how loud they are, but with bike engines you will find that a lot of the noise issues are because of induction noise. I would certainly make sure you use an airbox set up as this will dramatically reduce induction noise and will also improve the engine performance without messing around with ECUs etc.
You will also find that some tracks are quieter than others, ie Goodwood is really hot on noise, but some places like Rockingham go up to 105db static. Where are you located?

HTH

Cheers, Nick

[Edited on 5/10/11 by Nick DV]

"The force will be with you, always!"

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 5/10/11 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Depends what you mean by 'custom' as well.......

Is it using a standard bike can, or kit car style exhaust? is it packed well? are you using the standard airbox?

Don't forget most standard bikes would pass noise limits easily, so ask yourself what's different to the original bike set up, and what extra noise will this cause.

or buy one of these:

Linky

adithorp

posted on 5/10/11 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Impossible to say as every one is different. Mine came in at 96db at Oulton a couple of weeks ago, but thats for mine. Yours could be completly different.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Fieldy

posted on 5/10/11 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
I’m not 100% sure what the exhaust is but its deffo not a bike can and is considerably louder than my R1 (bike).

The car R1 engine has a pipercross filter on it, with a power commander, and is very loud both induction side and exhaust side

I think ill have to get a db meter and check, just wanted to get an idea how loud other people’s cars are as a guide

Looking at either Donnington or maybe Mallory park due to location, Donny has up to 98 and unlimited and Mallory has 98 and 105.

Cheers
Matt

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 5/10/11 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Also worth mentioning it depends on the equipment the testers use.

I've been rated at 101 all the way to 105

[Edited on 5/10/11 by Norfolkluegojnr]

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 5/10/11 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fieldy
I’m not 100% sure what the exhaust is but its deffo not a bike can and is considerably louder than my R1 (bike).

The car R1 engine has a pipercross filter on it, with a power commander, and is very loud both induction side and exhaust side

I think ill have to get a db meter and check, just wanted to get an idea how loud other people’s cars are as a guide

Looking at either Donnington or maybe Mallory park due to location, Donny has up to 98 and unlimited and Mallory has 98 and 105.

Cheers
Matt

98 is quite low. With no airbox and a fruity exhaust you may struggle.

105 however is effing loud. don't forget the Db scale isn't in equal increments. Also, the pitch of the sound affect its db rating. as the bike engine note is higher (I beleive) it'll rate lower.

chances are for 105db you'll be fine, maybe start there and see what the rating is.

edit: i'm no physicist though. tried to read up on the Db scale, made my brain hurt.

Wadders

posted on 5/10/11 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
I found 98 is quite hard to achieve, you will be looking at a standard bike can or a big custom made silencer, i would also tape up the bonnet scoop if you have one. I got chucked off by the noise police at Donnington for 109db drive-by.
mallory let me on with a static test of 103, although i did cheat with the revs a bit

Al.

Originally posted by Norfolkluegojnr
Also worth mentioning it depends on the equipment the testers use.

I've been rated at 101 all the way to 105

edsco

posted on 5/10/11 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
I think i may need to add some more wadding into the silencer in that case. I had mine tested at Silverstone and came out at 106db!! However that was at 10200rpm. My own fault really. Would 3/4 revs bring it down significantly do you think? i.e. 8100rpm?

Sorry don't mean to hijack, but is something could learnt from also.

adithorp

posted on 5/10/11 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Cheers
Matt

Are you sure about those figures? I thought Donnington was usually 94db and has drive-by meters as well as static testing. It renowned for most BECs not being able to run there, unless you go for one of thier rare and expensive "no limit" days. Don't forget that if you fail the test you don't get a refund. Pick somewhere with a 105 limit (OultonPark, Blyton and Anglesea spring to mind)

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Nick DV

posted on 5/10/11 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Careful with Anglesea, they vary their limit at different times.

Cheers, Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

MK9R

posted on 5/10/11 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Forget donington, you will get kicked off on driveby even if you get through static, its bloody stupid as your car gets drowned out by the aircraft. You should be fine at mallory though, or go somewhere like anglesea. Oh and don't even bother with castle combe!!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fieldy

posted on 5/10/11 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:

Cheers
Matt

Are you sure about those figures? I thought Donnington was usually 94db and has drive-by meters as well as static testing. It renowned for most BECs not being able to run there, unless you go for one of thier rare and expensive "no limit" days. Don't forget that if you fail the test you don't get a refund. Pick somewhere with a 105 limit (OultonPark, Blyton and Anglesea spring to mind)

-----------

yeah i think im right i got it off the website

Sunday 27th November (Quiet Day - 98db limit)

Sunday 4th December (Quiet Day - 98db limit)

Wednesday 28th December (Unsilenced)

Friday 30th December (Unsilenced)

Fieldy

posted on 5/10/11 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
Forget donington, you will get kicked off on driveby even if you get through static, its bloody stupid as your car gets drowned out by the aircraft. You should be fine at mallory though, or go somewhere like anglesea. Oh and don't even bother with castle combe!!!

Yeah thats what i was woundering for really as i guess they can be arses about it... no refund sucks as well

Just ordered a db meter so will check it out, when they test the car (static) how do they go about it? Do they stand in front, behind ect.. and the drive by one i guess i would have to get someone to stand on a road while i boot it past any rough ideas of distance away from the car?

mark chandler

posted on 5/10/11 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
I think general engine/induction is you hardest one to beat, easier to make the exit quiet with a big can, I passed Brands and Donington but got chucked off or Goodwood and came very close at Bedford, they let me run a 6500 rpm on static..

I have now taken my exhaust under the rear arch and turned around through the IRS to exit from the rear so only one source of noise to worry about, and that's with a Turbo muffling induction and exhaust!

On drive by my car was far quieter than most of the other stuff out there, its a BEC thing.

To be safe I am going to construct a detachable can to go across the rear, just need to gut a £10 R1 can off Ebay I picked up a few weeks ago so if I struggle reduce noise without baffles.

Regards Mark

norfolkluego

posted on 5/10/11 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Norfolkluegojnr
quote:

Cheers
Matt

98 is quite low. With no airbox and a fruity exhaust you may struggle.

105 however is effing loud. don't forget the Db scale isn't in equal increments. Also, the pitch of the sound affect its db rating. as the bike engine note is higher (I beleive) it'll rate lower.

chances are for 105db you'll be fine, maybe start there and see what the rating is.

edit: i'm no physicist though. tried to read up on the Db scale, made my brain hurt.

Don't forget 105 is exactly twice as loud as 98 (every 7db = double the 'loudness'

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.