Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bike or car engine?
pauladamss

posted on 6/10/11 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
bike or car engine?

Well last week i had decided on an indy with a zetec and throttle bodies. After seeing a rolling chassis indy ready for a zx12r engine on ebay and deciding to bid on that (they took it of ebay last night was gutted) anyway now im confussed bike engine or car i want to order the kit in thw next couple of weeks when iv finished building the garage what are the goods and the bads on both???
brookie

posted on 6/10/11 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
u do now u opened a can of worms m8 dont u
for me it bike all the way

mookaloid

posted on 6/10/11 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

fullpint

posted on 6/10/11 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
defo a bike engine mate.. Are you an ex-biker or not? If you are ever near Chippenham (Wilts) then feel free to contact me (if it's dry) and I don't mind taking you for a little spin

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..
www.tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lewis

posted on 6/10/11 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brookie

Any chance of this in English and not in waynetta?

I am a driving god!..........sort of

danny keenan

posted on 6/10/11 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
hi

your more than welcome to come and have a ride in both.but im sure you will go for BEC once iv taken you out

probablyleon

posted on 6/10/11 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
go for the bike engine... unless you want something a bit more practical and civilised... in which case buy a Mondeo
jossey

posted on 6/10/11 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Here we go again......

I think if you don't understand bike engines don't do it. I know very liitle about em n wish i had gone car engine.

But when I get it working I'll be happy with bike....

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pauladamss

posted on 6/10/11 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Im swaying towards a bike it will be used for a sunday blast and track days. but which engine zx9r and blades seem a good price but zx12r gsxr1000 and busa look to be quite alot on ebay.
Whats the best place aquire an engine?
id love to come up to mk i live in newbury so its quite a trek.

danny keenan

posted on 6/10/11 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
its well worh the trip.then you can see the cars been built and choose you chassis options.

depending on your budget id go for a GSXR 1000 OR the hayabusa

thanks danny

pauladamss

posted on 6/10/11 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Iv just checked its not that bad 170miles so i will take you up on that,i will check when im on call and sort out whens best to come up.
phelpsa

posted on 6/10/11 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
It really depends what you want from the car. I love mine on the track but i'm pretty sure i'd never 'just go for a drive' in it if it were road legal... its such a PITA to drive slowly.

franky

posted on 6/10/11 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
It depends on if you want to feel like you're going fast or want to go fast
scootz

posted on 6/10/11 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Car engine... I have a cracking 350Z one that you can have!

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

quote:
Originally posted by franky
It depends on if you want to feel like you're going fast or want to go fast

Good answer!

It's Evolution Baby!

pauladamss

Thats the only thing that worries me i would like to be able to drive on the road aswell.
pauladamss

posted on 6/10/11 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Go fast
focijohn

posted on 6/10/11 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
I got taken out in both. I really can see the appeal to the BEC's but they just seemed a bit shouty (now typing in my hiding place), plus I'm not the worlds biggest bike engine noise fan, and the thought of working with anything motorcycle brings me out in a rash so I went with the good ol' zetec. Loads of info on here and everything is avail off the shelf and for not much money, plus they can be picked up quite cheap. I also live in the Malvern HILLS etc etc. If I could afford to both I would in a heartbeat but as I couldn't.......
End of the day its your car and you will have to live with it, as above get taken out in both and see what you think.
Good Luck

John

[Edited on 6/10/11 by focijohn]

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

Hellfire

posted on 6/10/11 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
If you want the car for a Sunday blast and a few trackdays, then you possibly already have a vehicle for daily use. Why bother having a lightweight chassis and then sticking a heavy car engine in it? It just doesn't make sense to me. If you want to go quick around corners and not just in a straight line, then you need to fit a bike engine.

BEC's are just as driveable on the road but aren't quite as boring as CEC's..... You already have a CEC as your daily driver, so go BEC. BEC's rock!!

Phil

pauladamss

posted on 6/10/11 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
I guess i will have to have a go in both then decide looking forward to it but wont tbe able to do it for a couple of weeks. I do like the idea of flappy paddle gears with the bec.
phelpsa

posted on 6/10/11 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
I see you're in newbury. If you want to call in and pick brains about building a BEC i'm 15 minutes down the road you're quite welcome. Send me a U2U.

daniel mason

posted on 6/10/11 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
I would personally u2u someone like chris Mason on here who has owned various kits and will give you an un biased view. I have had 2 x bec's and loved them. But now am building a Honda s2000 engined car.
I was reading a post on here last week with a guy doing good lap times with a zzr 1400 engined kit. He then looked at the caterham r500 lap times and he was way off the pace.
Caterham use "heavy car engines" and it doesn't seem to slow them down much.franky had an m3 powered car which looked very quick too. My advise, for what it's worth would be a high powered car engine.if budget is a problem then something like a Nissan 200sx engine and box. If you have hayabusa type budget, including reverse box then something like Honda s2000. BMW m3, or supercharged duratec

[Edited on 6/10/11 by daniel mason]

jase380

posted on 7/10/11 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lewis
quote:

Thought the title said " bike or car engine ?" not " what do you think of other peoples grammar "

Anyway, i had a bike engine in my indy, think i would go Nissan or Saab Turbo next time.

brookie

posted on 7/10/11 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jase380
quote:
Originally posted by lewis
quote:

Thought the title said " bike or car engine ?" not " what do you think of other peoples grammar "

Anyway, i had a bike engine in my indy, think i would go Nissan or Saab Turbo next time.

tar for that jase if hen read the post right he would now what it said

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.