Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any of you knowledegable chaps work in a foundry?
tegwin

posted on 12/10/11 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Any of you knowledegable chaps work in a foundry?

I am needing some parts cast from alluminium. I need 5-10 of them to start with as "production prototypes" but I expect, if they go ok, that I will be needing 50-100 within 12 months.

The part is around 130mm diameter and 50mm thick. Weighs about 300grams. Ideally I need to specify the alloy, but for the first run, I dont mind too much. Have the part in solidworks, so can supply any format, or create a patern for sand-casting if needs be.

Anyone here able to help?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Simon

posted on 12/10/11 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
I do - http://www.livingstoneartfounders.com, but we do art bronze (can do ally/brass) via lost wax method, which wouldn't be ideal for you as we have shrinkage (2%) issues (which aren't a prob for the art industry).

If we need sand castings doing, we generally use:

http://www.newpro.co.uk/automotive.html in West London

and have used

http://www.harlingfoundry.co.uk in Hastings

Hope these of help (and tell 'em who sent you please)

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 12/10/11 by Simon]

owelly

posted on 12/10/11 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
When I was looking to get a small batch of bellhousings cast, these guys were the only ones interested without wanting megabucks for setting-up/mould making.
http://www.creasey-castings.co.uk/
I never actually used them as I never got to that stage!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 12/10/11 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply. Do you have any idea roughly how much the part and quantity I described above would cost? Are we talking 10s or 100s of pounds per item? Really no idea.
owelly

posted on 12/10/11 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC, one bellhousing would be £270, but the next ones would be £150 each, plus machining. Dunno if that gives you any clues but a bellhousing is a hefty dollop although it depends on the labour required to make buck/mould.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
The Shootist

posted on 13/10/11 at 01:19 AM Reply With Quote
I'm in...

I'm in the industry, but on the wrong side of big water.

A casting that small, I would check round the local model engineer's society.

You will have a limited choice of alloys, many that are commonly known do not pour well.

Unless you are experienced at pattern making you will want to consult with the founders 1st. Draft and shrinkage allowance are more art than science.

A model foundry will be a small shop with time to take on a small job that they can pour along with their regular work.

Off hand, I would say a casting that small would be tens of pounds rather than hundreds, and the price will get better with quantity.

If you don't mind my asking what sort of object are you looking to have made? Some shapes just don't lend themselves to casting, while others, in sufficient quantity can save a small fortune in costs.

fullpint

posted on 13/10/11 at 05:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
When I was looking to get a small batch of bellhousings cast, these guys were the only ones interested without wanting megabucks for setting-up/mould making.
http://www.creasey-castings.co.uk/
I never actually used them as I never got to that stage!

I can honesty say that Creasey Castings are top notch. They made all our magnesium castings and alloy one. Big or small batch.. Call them up and ask for Russell or Chris. Tell em Steve (Turner) said you would help you out..

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..
www.tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk

fullpint

posted on 13/10/11 at 05:51 AM Reply With Quote
Forgot to mention; If you need a pattern doing try Allwick Patterns, they are near to Creasey Castings and a solid works model is ideal, contact there is John..

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..
www.tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk

FASTdan

posted on 13/10/11 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I can get you a price for sand casting if needed. If you email me the native solid works file, plus either STEP or SAT I should be able to sort it from there. Or if you are bothered about data protection a basic 2D PDF drawing would probably do the trick as long as you can give a reasonably accurate weight.

dan@danstengineering.co.uk.

*edit to say* your 5-10 could be done from a simple pattern (made either by yourself or a pattern maker) as single castings at a 10's of pounds cost each, but your 50-100 would need to be done on a pattern board which is a larger initial outlay of a few hundred but has a payback per unit and would probably break even on those quantities.

Cheers

Dan

[Edited on 13/10/11 by FASTdan]

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
HowardB

posted on 13/10/11 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
there is an aluminium foundry in Leicester that do small castings and the like, Harrisons I think it's called, b ut it's a long way from Plymouth,..

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

tegwin

posted on 13/10/11 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Christ! Posted this question thinking that no-one would be able to help..... Locostbuilders strikes again. Chears guys

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

adrianreeve

posted on 13/10/11 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Another thumbs up for Creasey castings. They cast wheels, hubs etc for most of the F1 teams, so you know the quality is good! I used to work for Medway Galvanising, just around the corner, and owned by Tony and Paul Creasey, nephews of the owner of Creasey castings. Often used to find a reason to take a wander around their yard, and ended up with a couple of F1 wheels that had failed x-ray testing - used them as coffee tables with some glass cut to make a top for them! Sadly, my wife hated them, so they went!

Cheers

Adrian

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.