Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Are These Any Good ?
Daddylonglegs

posted on 22/10/11 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Are These Any Good ?

As the title really, are eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace any good for popping into the tail-end of a standard exhaust can? I want to try and 'shush' my exhaust a bit more, reckon it's gonna hack of Mr IVA as it is.

I got a sound level meter off the bay but not sure if I'm using it right or if it's out of calibration. It shows around 120dB on the 'Flat' setting and around 110dB on the 'A' setting. So if it's OK then I need to lose some sound somewhere

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

mad-butcher

posted on 22/10/11 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Rubbish on a registered car, should really be called power killer, not sure what sort of effect the possible increase in back pressure in the exhaust might have on any sensors for the iva, fortunately all my vehicles are cat exempt.

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kevmcdo

posted on 22/10/11 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
I had one similar for my viper race can and it did do a good job of making it quite a bit quieter.

The down side is that you could also feel the effect of it taking the edge of the performance of the engine.

1 minute job to remove it after IVA though for the drive home

Trev Borg

posted on 22/10/11 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
They do work if all you want to do it make it less loud for a limited amount of time.

Like everyone else has said, the effect on the engine is a bit restrictive.

The race can on my bike did not have the normal 'not for road use' stamped on. Not sure how it managed to fall off, but went through the MOT with a db killer in the end no problem.

[Edited on 22/10/2011 by Trev Borg]

[Edited on 22/10/2011 by Trev Borg]

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes.

By that time, who cares.

You're a mile away, and you've got his shoes

Daddylonglegs

posted on 22/10/11 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
I tried my Blueflame twin-port earlier off my VFR and it did sound rather yummy . I took it off the bike as it's not in the best of conditions and also it has lost one of the bungs so if I did use it I would need to get another one for it as it's rather loud!

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

MikeRJ

posted on 22/10/11 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Don't the power killers prevent the tester inserting the exhaust probe to check emissions levels?
snapper

posted on 23/10/11 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
Goes between manifold collector end and the exhaust system works a treat for IVA.
Can increase emissions by restricting engine power due to back pressure thus more unburned fuel is produced.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

ginger ninja

posted on 23/10/11 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
you say its a standard can, check that there is enough clear depth within the can to insert the db killer before laying out any dosh, sometimes blocked by the can internals.

The IVA manual is the first thing to check regarding noise level, and how it is measured. The distance from the exhaust and angle are important.
Once you know how to test it, the A scale is what is required. Where you test can also alter the reading a bit. Testing in a confined space may make the reading higher.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.