Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Testing / Repairing a Hard Drive - Advice Please
John P

posted on 16/11/11 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Testing / Repairing a Hard Drive - Advice Please

I've been having problems with my fairly old Compaq desktop for some while and I had a feeling it was caused by a hard drive problem so I downloaded SeaTools for Windows (by Segate) and ran the basic SMART test which it failed!!!

Accoring to the test report this is likely to be caused by "possibly caused by problem sectors which are difficult to read" and they suggest running SeaTools for DOS as this may be able to fix the problems.

It looks rather daunting to run as it seems to involve downloading the software and then buring an image to a CD and booting from this. (I'm OK with computers but certainly no expert).

Is ther an alternative which may be easier to use?

I ran chkdsk but it doesn't give any sort of report so I don't know if there were any faults found. I also notice you can't run with a /f parameter as you used to to get it to fix faults.

Any help would be appreciated.

John.

britishtrident

posted on 16/11/11 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
When a hard drive starts showing errors bin it unless you need to recover data from it.

Hard drives have a finite life not just in terms of hours running or read/writes but age.

russbost

posted on 16/11/11 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
I would strongly agree with the above comment, once they start to go wrong & get bad sectors etc. a total fail is usually just around the corner.

My advice would be to back up any data you want from it & replace.

If it's an old machine, you might be better to replace with a new tower, they are so cheap now, & run the old hard drive as a slave in the new system so you can access any data you need from it

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
jossey

posted on 16/11/11 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for above. You can check the sectors but sometimes they test ok then you h.d packs up and you lose it all. Bin it. It costs less than £50 for 1tb that's cheaper than discs........

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
John P

posted on 16/11/11 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Right, so if I buy a new drive and configure the existing drive as a slave I should be able to copy my files onto the new drive before the old one fails (hopefully).

Only real concern is that the computer came from Compaq with Windows XP pre-installed and with no disks.

I presume the operating system would have to be on the new (naster) drive so could I move it and if so how?

John.

PhilCross66

posted on 16/11/11 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
It could be worth waiting or getting a 2nd hand drive, the price of new drives has gone through the roof since the floods in Thailand took out some of the places manufacturing them
stevebubs

posted on 16/11/11 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
You can get the Media easily enough...so long as you have a Windows key printed on the machine....
jossey

posted on 16/11/11 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hard drives are still cheap en after the issue I'm thailand.

Try cclonline.com

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PhilCross66

posted on 16/11/11 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Well I dont call £100 for 1TB and £160 for 2TB cheap. The stuff CCL have relatively cheap is old and small
rgrs

posted on 16/11/11 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
You may be able to use seagate drive tools to isolate any bad areas on the drive

It may be a nasty shock when you try to get a drive at the moment, there is a world shortage due to two of the main manufacturers factories are underwater.

Both western digital and seagate are not expecting to be back in full production until march 2012

Roger

HowardB

posted on 16/11/11 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
for hardware, I use ebuyer,...ebuyer

seem good, and can be very cost effective

hth

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Ninehigh

posted on 17/11/11 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PhilCross66
Well I dont call £100 for 1TB and £160 for 2TB cheap. The stuff CCL have relatively cheap is old and small

Less than a decade ago £160 got me two 80gb drives. Yeah that's cheap!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.