Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recomend a printer please
smart51

posted on 18/11/11 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Recomend a printer please

My printer / scanner has stopped working and despite dismantling it and looking for broken bits, it is quite dead. So tomorrow I'll go and get another. What do you recommend.

The one I had was an Epsom and I was quite pleased with it. Until it came to pay £40 for a box of ink cartridges. Kodak claim their printers are cheaper on ink but are they any good?

What I need is a fast page-per-minute speed, the ability to print 6x4 photos onto glossy paper and a half decent scanner. Oh, and cheap ink! Any suggestions?

Greenie

posted on 18/11/11 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Kodak every time, 2 kids at Uni and got one for each of them, absolute top product........
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 18/11/11 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
canon are always good, get one with seperate colour inks!
and don't get printer scanner fax all in one effort! no no no!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

DixieTheKid

posted on 18/11/11 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Top tip. The better quality the paper the less ink you will use. Cheap paper sucks up the ink.

COS IT'S Worth IT

JoelP

posted on 18/11/11 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
mine doesnt do photos but i was staggered how fast it prints a page out when i first used it. Paper went through so fast i thought it hadnt printed anything. It was only £40 at sainsburys, and its an HP.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 18/11/11 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for a kodak.

Reliable and cheap to run.

austin man

posted on 18/11/11 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
I have nothing but praise for the Cannon Pixmia I have the P4850 stunning picture quality also prints printable CD's. I also have an Epsom with scanner was doubting the quality of print when printing to Kodak paper the photo quality was acceptable but nothing to write home about. Then I tried epsom paper in it an the quality improved immensly.

TBH I was buying Epsom inks then started buying from the bay of e an appear to be as good as the epsom but probably 20% of the price

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

dave

posted on 18/11/11 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Kodak

snapper

posted on 19/11/11 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
For photos
Epson + Epson paper
Kodak + Kodak paper
Etc
Lyson refillable external resoviour inks
Brilliant papers
But you need ICC profiles and the knowledge to instal them

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

snakebelly

posted on 19/11/11 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Kodak all in ones, great quality and well priced consumables, check out your local currys.comet etc as a new range has just been rleased which means they usually have some manager special end of lines going cheap.
iank

posted on 19/11/11 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a cheap Samsung laser printer for black and white and use photobox for printing photo's

Think this one has replaced it but I've not had a problem buying toner (which lasts ages compared to ink in my experience)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-ML-1660-Printer-capacity-sheets/dp/B003D1TK4A

If printing photo's at home 6 colour printers make a much better job of it, but cost on the ink!

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

tonym

posted on 19/11/11 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
I always choose the ink cartridge first then the printer. This way you avoid expensive ink when you come to refill.

For cheap cartridges try Hornsea Inkjets on the Web

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 19/11/11 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
just replaced our workhorse witha kodak hero 5.1, 90 odd quid from tesco, very pleased and the consumables are very reasonable and I'm more than happy with thing.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

MikeRJ

posted on 19/11/11 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Juts bought a Canon Pixma MG6150 and can't praise it enough. It has a built in scanner so can be used for photo copying etc. the ink tanks are all individually replaceable (and cheap third party ones are easily found) and the print head itself is easily replaceable. It also has Ethernet and Wi-fi built in as well as USB, and a card reader to print direct from memory card. The paper also sits flat in a drawer under the printer, so doesn't get curled up like a top-loader, and it does automatic duplex printing.

Print and scanning performance have so far been beyond reproach. I got it on special offer for about £70 at Pixmania, though it seems to have gone up to £92 now. I'd gladly have paid that for it though.

se7en

posted on 19/11/11 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DixieTheKid
Top tip. The better quality the paper the less ink you will use. Cheap paper sucks up the ink.

You are partially right, Dixie. The same amount of ink is delivered on either paper, it is the absorption rate that makes the print on good paper look better than using the cheap high absorbing paper.

I previously always used Epson printers but now I use a Canon Pixma IP4600. It produces excellent print quality, better than that of any of my old Epsons. I print on Fuji Photo Paper with non OEM replacement inks from 7-day Shop @ £7 for a full set. I also use a cheap laser printer for anything Black & White; the toner is a lot cheaper per copy than the inkjet.

The cost of printing can be reduced by using your printer economically; do test prints using the Fast or Draft print settings and only when ready to produce the quality output switch to the higher quality setting. I also use both sides of the paper when doing test prints. When printing photos, before using the good Photo paper I do test prints on plain paper using the Fast or Draft settings.

HTH

Tom

russbost

posted on 19/11/11 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
I have both Epson stylus & Canon ip 4600, both have been great workhorses, they have done a lot of work!! I would only buy something which you can buy non - original inks for, Epson/Canon price around £12 - £15 a cartridge, Ebay price for compatible inks (which I've had no probs with at all) sometimes less than £1ea!!! Possibly not so good if you're printing photos, but personally if i want pictures printed I woukld always go to a proper photo print place if quality is important.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
smart51

posted on 19/11/11 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone. I bought a Kodak in the end. The ink is half the price of the others. I've only printed in black so far but the quality is brilliant.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.