Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 9 5 speed and diff oil change
Autosri

posted on 19/11/11 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Type 9 5 speed and diff oil change

Gear changes are pretty clunky so was thinking of changing out the gear oil and diff oil

What's needed and how much of each will i need the diff is a non LSD

I know this will sound stupid but are there fill and drain plugs for both

Thanks

lewis

posted on 19/11/11 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Just done a oil change on my type 9 and it took 1.25l of oil the fill plug is on the l/h side of the box(a allen key bolt)after you have emptied the box just fill it till oil starts coming out the fill plug hole diff has a plug on the back plate,prob eaiser to remove the back plate to drain the oil & good time to have a butchers inside too,same as the gearbox fill till it comes out the fill plug hole. Hope this helps,Lewis.

I am a driving god!..........sort of

dave r

posted on 19/11/11 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
no drain for the type 9
ford intended no oil changes

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

Paul Turner

posted on 19/11/11 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Oil in the gearbox and diff is filled for life, no need to change it even in a Sierra which had been to the moon and back, there are no drain plugs on either because of this. In a kit car it should never need changing providing they are filled with fresh oil when fitted of the correct type. Type 9 boxes are very particular about grade, has to be 75-90 or 80-90 semi synthetic GL4 grade, anything better and the syncros won't work properly. Same oil should be fine in diffa s well.
rusty nuts

posted on 19/11/11 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Incorrect oil in a type 9 will cause problems with the gear change and as said there is no drain plug . Probably the best way to drain the oil with the box in place would be to take off the tunnel top cover to get at the gearbox top cover then use a suction oil drainer to get the oil out. It may be possible to syphon it out using something like screen washer tubing fed through the oil filler into the bottom of the box, I've done it that way on a Sierra but it took ages to drain
Autosri

posted on 19/11/11 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Cool I think I have some 75 90 in the garage will check to see if that hase the correct letters on it if not il pick some up

I hate this sealed for life stuff the gearbox is out of an 88 sierra so pretty old the car was built by Westfield in 2003 so you would expect a decent standard of work and for the gear oils to be swapped but the more I do on the car the more cut corners I find so wouldn't be supprised if it hadn't been changed

Thanks for the help guys another job to sort out while it's off the road lol

mazie

posted on 19/11/11 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
I have used a 160ml saringe and a length of rubber tube to suck out and then fill both. Yes it takes a while to empty but works a treat in awkward positions.
Just an idea

madteg

posted on 19/11/11 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is filled up with ATF not shaw why but its lasted 5 years with 300 BHP going though it.
britishtrident

posted on 19/11/11 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Main thing about the gearbox is not to use a GL5 gear oil nb. 75/90 can be GL4 or GL5
GL5 is what is needed for the diff.

Ford recommended EP80 G4 for the gearbox but ATF or multigrade engine oils (usually 10w/40) generally will work fine in most RWD boxes

[Edited on 19/11/11 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

beaver34

posted on 20/11/11 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by madteg
Mine is filled up with ATF not shaw why but its lasted 5 years with 300 BHP going though it.

What box is that? Stock type 9

madteg

posted on 20/11/11 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Its out of a late 1.6 sierra, i put it in when i first built the car. I have a close ratio box at the ready when it goes wrong if it does.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.