Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto blowing oil?
vinny1275

posted on 23/11/11 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto blowing oil?

Evening all,

After having fixed the megasquirt and got the ignition advance running properly, I've been trying to sort the coolant temperature sensor settings, which were a bit all over the place. Seems better now, but...

While the engine was running, I was feeling the water pipes to see if the rad was getting hot, and there was a pop, and smoke coming off the exhaust headers. I stopped the engine, and there was hot oil in all the spark plug recesses - it seems to have come out of the spark plug threads once the oil's got hot and pressurised (there were bubbles appearing in the oil in the recesses, which makes me think it was being forced out of the threads). There is an oil cooler fitted, with a thermostatic take-off.

There's a breather vent in the crankcase, and another from the cam cover, which are tee'd into an oil catch tack, which has a vent on it (and I could see vapour coming out of the catch tank vent).

Sooooooo, any ideas why the oil's managing to get out? Too much oil / too thin an oil / oil getting too hot / over pressured? The spark plugs are done up nice and tight..

Ta,

Vince

AndyGT

posted on 23/11/11 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=163402

nothing is impossible
everything is possible

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 23/11/11 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Blocked breathers or....
Do a compression test, worst case rings
Could be valves seating and stem seals
There's lots of reasons start simple

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

mookaloid

posted on 23/11/11 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be suprised if the oil was coming out of the plug holes. more likely to have leaked from the rocker cover gasket. the bubbles will be a little bit of combustion gas getting past the plugs probably.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

mcerd1

posted on 23/11/11 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
the rocker cover gasket is a good bet - are you using the special shaped washers ?

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.