Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: welding method
cr325

posted on 26/11/11 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
welding method

Hi there.
I am aboute so start making a chassis for a locost based on a BMW e30, my question is about if I schould tig or mig weld the chassis. If you recommend MIG welding, schould I make 2mm clearrence between the pipes for better result.
Pls. Advise.
Best regards
Cr325

Peteff

posted on 26/11/11 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Mig weld and if you are using thin wall tubing no gap is needed.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

cr325

posted on 26/11/11 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Mig weld and if you are using thin wall tubing no gap is needed.

Think they are 2mm thick.

cr325

posted on 26/11/11 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Do you fiend off.the welding afterwards. Since.MIG.leaves some material after.welding, when welding without a gab
cr325

posted on 26/11/11 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
I meant grind off the welding. :-)
Chippy

posted on 26/11/11 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
I only ground off the welds where I wanted a flat surface, as with fitting the side alloy panels and floor, other than that just left as was. HTH Ray

[Edited on 26-11-11 by Chippy]

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Peteff

posted on 26/11/11 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
I use a 60 grit fibre disc on the angle grinder to take the tops off the weld where any panels are going to sit others are left alone and just painted with the rest of the chassis. The weld penetrates into the metal it doesn't work like glue so if you just level the top off there will be metal still holding it together

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

hillbillyracer

posted on 26/11/11 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't leave any gaps, you'll get plenty penetration when MIG welding 2mm box section once you're practiced at it & it'll be much easier to assemble with the parts cut dead on the right length so they meet right up rather than trying to get the gap right all the time.
will_08

posted on 27/11/11 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
I used 2mm tube, no gaps but I 'v' preped all the joints before welding

[Edited on 27/11/11 by will_08]

stewcluley

posted on 27/11/11 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
in my opinion there is no need to prep that size of box section. butt up tight, then MIG weld, prob around equivelent of 120amps, dependent on machine and wire feed speed.

i may TIG mine, but to be honest think it will take so much longer for no gain. a properly setup MIG using argon/co2 mix will produce very tidy welds in the right hands.

v prepping and leaving a root gap is for much heavier metals than 25x25 box section.

as said above it will also aid fabrication by butting the chassis tight up, cutting each section in turn, etc.

im looking forward to getting started on my build, but the fabrication bit will be the easy bit, as im welding most days at work anyway.

Stew

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.