Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sheared bolt
theduck

posted on 30/11/11 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Sheared bolt

Managed to shear one of the bolts on the thermostat housing last night what do I need to buy to remove what's left? Or even better, anyone local want to cone do it for me? Tea and biscuits available
luke

posted on 30/11/11 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Is the bolt sheared flush with the housing or is there some thread exposed?

EDIT - this if its flush http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht123-screw-extractor-wrench-set

[Edited on 30/11/11 by luke]

theduck

posted on 30/11/11 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
To be honest I gave up removing it after sheering the first bolt. Does the housing have a threaded hole? I presume not. Will have a go at removing the housing tonight and see if it's flush to the block or not.
Bluemoon

posted on 30/11/11 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Don't use a screw extractor it's going to cause more trouble if it does not work; they have a habit of snapping not surprising if the bolt it self is sheared..
BenB

posted on 30/11/11 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Ditto. Don't use a stud extractor. Work of the devil. They're hard and brittle which means if you give them any beans at all they snap off and then they're a right royal PITA to drill out.

Have you got a welder? Put a nut over whats left of the bolt and weld down through the nut hole. Let it cool then let rip with a big old spanner.

theduck

posted on 30/11/11 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Good idea ben! will give that a go if its not flush!
cliftyhanger

posted on 30/11/11 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
I find lots of tapping with a small hammer helps prevent this happening, recommended on the remaining bolts.
Or an impact wrench is often a good tool.

On the broken stud if welding a nut on isn't viable, file it as flat as possible, centre punch and then drill out going up in small increments. The heat generated always helps. I have found that once the drill size is just about there, you can get the very outside layer of the bolt out, either it unscrews or can be bent and removed that way.
There are some good stud extractors available, but they are not cheap. Irwin do some tasty ones and I have a good friend who happens to be one of their reps. He has a substantial collection of their tools

theduck

posted on 4/12/11 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Got it out today using bens suggestion, worked a treat.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.