Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Viento Front Hubs Bottom ball joint query
Irony

posted on 1/12/11 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Viento Front Hubs Bottom ball joint query

These are images of my bottom ball joints on my Viento. I bought this car part built and this was done by the previous owner. I previously noticed that the bottom ball joint doesn't have a great deal of thread to bolt up to (also the plastic cover was cracked). When I put the cycle wing support on as in one of the pics there certainly isn't enough thread. Should the hub sit further down the bottom ball joint or are my ball joints to short?

I know I need locking nuts on the upper wishbone. Ordered them.

I am also looking for some plated bolts for the corroded caliper bolts. Does anyone know the thread of these?

hector

posted on 1/12/11 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
had the same problem with mine, you would need to get it reamed out slightly larger BUT you must get exactly the correct angle reamer for it else ball joint will not seat correctly!

cheers Colin

richwill

posted on 1/12/11 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
If I remember correctly I had the hole in the uprights reamed out by Luego to allow the ball joint to sit correctly.
HomersDouble

posted on 1/12/11 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Its a sierra hub and these need the bottom taper reamed out to accept the balljoint. The hole should be reamed until all the threaded portion of the ball joint just protrudes. You'll need the 19mm hand reamer from Axminster tools. Takes about 20 mins per hub.
Irony

posted on 1/12/11 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hector
had the same problem with mine, you would need to get it reamed out slightly larger BUT you must get exactly the correct angle reamer for it else ball joint will not seat correctly!

cheers Colin

I thought someone might say that. Damn you former kitcar owner and your lackadaisical attitude to everything!

Is this reaming something that can be done with a reamer in a drill or is it a professional metalshop would have to do?

James

posted on 1/12/11 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
MK did mine for me for very little £ if I remember.

James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

designer

posted on 1/12/11 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, taper needs reaming out.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Irony

posted on 1/12/11 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Okay - so I buy this cheap reamer from Axminster and then ream it out by hand until the maxi ball is a good fit. Is that all? Seems to easy to be true???
Irony

posted on 2/12/11 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-taper-reamers-prod791111/

Like this?

Or this?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-handy-reamer-prod23107/

[Edited on 2/12/11 by Irony]

HomersDouble

posted on 2/12/11 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
The 2nd one - the hand reamer. You'll also need some cutting fluid or light oil ? to help when reaming.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.