Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Winter Tyres, That's a Bit Extreme
chris mason

posted on 5/12/11 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Winter Tyres, That's a Bit Extreme

Made the decision last week to get some winter tyres sorted for the work van.

Due to the size 235/45/18 XL, they were proving either expensive, poor quailty/reviews or unavailable within the budget i'm happy to pay considering they're going on a van.

So i decided to buy a new van instead! seems a bit extreme, but good quality winter tyres are less than £70 each in 195/65/15 XL, and i've picked up a spare set of rims with summer tyres for £100

Sure the 18" winter tyres and older van would've worked out cheaper, But the better fuel economy, cheaper running costs and no Mot's/maintenance for 3 years, then there's the offset depreciation against profits, makes the new van worthwhile

Who else is moving over on too winter tyres before they sell out?

jacko

posted on 5/12/11 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
I need new tyres for my vectra but i am not buying winter tyres at the price tyres are
Graham
For winter i will use my free bus pass

[Edited on 5/12/11 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jase380

posted on 5/12/11 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Bought mine back in april on a brand new set of alloy rims , 225/55/16 avon ice touring, 450 quid for a set of four which seemed like a bargain to me. Put them on the car last friday and i'm very impressed with em so far.... not seen any snow but was up in the dales over the weekend and the grip in mud, rain and general shite was a massive improvement over the conti sport 3 i have on my other rims.
Nickp

posted on 5/12/11 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Just ordered a set of Insa Turbo Winter Grips from http://www.tyrewizard.co.uk/ to put on the 15" alloys I got off ebay yesterday. They're to go on our lasses Ibiza FR and cost just £50 per corner. Cheaper than the insurance excess if they prevent a bump I reckon.

PS Anyone need a decent set of 205/60/15s with a good 6mm on 'em all? They came on the ebay alloys.

dhutch

posted on 5/12/11 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Got a pair of Quadtrac3 allweathers got the 306 and although they havent seen snow yet I have been fairly impressed so far with the dry, wet and cold weather grip compaired to the Firestones on the rear.

Daniel

mcerd1

posted on 5/12/11 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
Got a pair of Quadtrac3 allweathers got the 306 and although they havent seen snow yet I have been fairly impressed so far with the dry, wet and cold weather grip compaired to the Firestones on the rear.

a pair of them did me the last 2 winters no problem
got a new pair for this winter (the old ones are now on the back with a little more than half the tread left)
and as a bonus they are the only winter rated tyres that do a V speed rating in my size (that I can find at least)

but I use the sportrac3's when the roads are warmer / cleaner - they don't last quite as long but they have so much grip wet or dry

Winter_Tyres
Winter_Tyres

[Edited on 5/12/2011 by mcerd1]

-

Pete - Kit Car Zone

posted on 5/12/11 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone ever tried using those snow sock's that have been advertised the last couple of years? I never have as I don't know anyone that's used them and it seems daft to spend £40+ on something you might not use for a couple of years only find out it's doesnt work Just wondered, they look pretty handy.

I live in the peaks, so it'd be good to have something for emergencies (to keep in the boot maybe). But I don't fancy forking out for snow tyres.

Kit Car Zone

mad4x4

posted on 5/12/11 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Guy at work uses the snow socks on his BMW and got up the hill no probs. - I have Nankang 600 on the front of the skoda diesel and Nankang All Season on the rear.

was struggling to get it to slide, (on purpose) on white frosty roads.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

mookaloid

posted on 5/12/11 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
getting mine tomorow

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Pete - Kit Car Zone

posted on 5/12/11 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
Guy at work uses the snow socks on his BMW and got up the hill no probs. - I have Nankang 600 on the front of the skoda diesel and Nankang All Season on the rear.

was struggling to get it to slide, (on purpose) on white frosty roads.

Ah they sound ok in that case. I might get a set just encase it gets bad this winter. Perhaps just for the front... It'll definitely slide then (front real drive Seat Leon)

Kit Car Zone

Jasper

posted on 6/12/11 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Had to replace all the tyres on my 530d beamer, so had winter tyres put on - £460 + vat. Only had rain and mud so far, but seem much gripper than the old tyres I had on there.

Got stuck at home for 5 days last year and I run my own business, so definitely worth giving them a go if it means I can get to work.

A mate has used socks in the Pyrenees, they are good on snow but 100 yds on tarmac and they are destroyed.

[Edited on 6/12/11 by Jasper]

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.