Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Quaife diff
madteg

posted on 10/12/11 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Quaife diff

Thinking of fitting a new diff, has anybody fitted a quaife unit to a 7" sierra diff housing. What sort of job is if and is there anything i should know. Like what sort of diff is best plate or the other sort that i cannot spell
Rob Allison

posted on 11/12/11 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
There not to hard to do if your just swaping centres. Undo side bearings, remove crown wheel from centre, fit to new one. Refit side bearings. setup backlash and load up bearings.

plated are best, £750 for one.
ATB are fit and forget. Nothing to wear out. £550
Viscus are the standard one. From either XR4x4 or a cosworth 4x4 . There ok and about £100 for a complete diff.

TimC

posted on 11/12/11 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
The ramp angles etc should be correctly set on a plate-type diff (Tran-x, Gripper etc) and the clutches do wear. I'd suggest that you get someone who really knows what they are doing to set-up a plate-type diff. Matt/Ivan at Procomp or Andy at Arrow Auto Engineering would be the forum-dwelling folk I'd ask.

The Quaife is a less involved job but I'm still getting Matt to fit mine to my English diff (fit the recommenced solid spacer, inspect/replace bearings etc.) That way, I know that it really will be fit'n'forget.

westy turbo

posted on 13/12/11 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Ill guess the plated diff will last less but i guess has to do with torque and how often the next overhaul will be.
hobbsy

posted on 13/12/11 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Only other downside of the Quaife ATB is that if one contact loses contact with the ground altogether then it acts like an open diff. Not normally a problem unless you really ride the kerbs on track.

I went for a Quaife and got Phil at Road and Race transmissions to fit it as it was a pain to remove my diff and didn't fancy doing it again if I messed up the fitting of the LSD.

Stott

posted on 13/12/11 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy
Only other downside of the Quaife ATB is that if one contact loses contact with the ground altogether then it acts like an open diff. Not normally a problem unless you really ride the kerbs on track.

I went for a Quaife and got Phil at Road and Race transmissions to fit it as it was a pain to remove my diff and didn't fancy doing it again if I messed up the fitting of the LSD.

Isn't the point of the atb to get the torque to the gripping wheel, so if you hop a wheel in the air than all the torque should go to the other wheel, it should never act like an open diff

hobbsy

posted on 13/12/11 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
No for it to work it needs to have *some* resistance on the other wheel, even if it's a very small amount, see here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential

"In the case of slip, the wheel in contact can receive up to X times the torque applied to the wheel which is slipping, where X is the torque multiplication value for the differential. In this sense, torque sensitive differentials are not strictly limited slip - once an output shaft becomes free (e.g., one driven wheel lifts off the ground; or a summer tire comes over ice while another is on dry tarmac when the car goes uphill), no torque is transmitted to the second shaft and the torque-sensitive differential behaves like an open differential."

To be honest I've never found it an issue.

Stott

posted on 13/12/11 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Every day's a school day!

Anyway, I'm gonna try it next time I'm out the garage, standby for either "quaife diffs do act like open diffs!" thread or "wanted - garage door" thread

snapper

posted on 13/12/11 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
I had a thought...........
You can get a valve that retains a little pressure to the calipers to stop the pads retracting when racing,
Just a few pounds pressure but should be enough to stop the ATB spinning free.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.