Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Not kit / Airbag light
jacko

posted on 16/12/11 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Not kit / Airbag light

Hi All
As many may know the air bag light is part of next years MOT .
My light is on all the time [ has been for about 2 years ]
What i want to know is is there a way of turning the dam thing off before the next MOT
I know what is putting the light on its the swob in the steering wheel

My car is a Vectra dti sri 150
Thanks
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Russell

posted on 16/12/11 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
The MOT check will be to see that the light comes on then extinguishes. Just turning it off will still be a fail so it looks like you will need a proper repair

I'm a bilingual illiterate. I can't read in two languages.

matt_gsxr

posted on 16/12/11 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Or a more 'sympathetic' MOT station.

You could rewire the oil pressure light to the airbag light I guess, then it would cycle in the required fashion. Once you go to this kind of effort, it might be easier to fix the fault.

froggy

posted on 16/12/11 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
The new parts are advisory only for the first three months as a test period so maybe get it done early this year .

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

dray13dad

posted on 16/12/11 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
comes into mot Jan 2012, but not as a fail item till start of april.get mot last few days before april then run car for a bit an flog it!!
jacko

posted on 16/12/11 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
The new parts and fitting are over £200 + VAT what a rip off it should be MY choice if i want air bags or not- not the MOT

[Edited on 16/12/11 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wylliezx9r

posted on 16/12/11 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
Or a more 'sympathetic' MOT station.

You could rewire the oil pressure light to the airbag light I guess, then it would cycle in the required fashion. Once you go to this kind of effort, it might be easier to fix the fault.

It's not usualy as easy as rewiring bulbs these days, most dash boards are run by can bus i.e computer controlled. I've done some fiddling about with it and it can be a right pain in the arse. Companys are charging hundreds of pounds just to turn lights off nevermind reconfiguring them.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

loggyboy

posted on 16/12/11 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Its worth checking all the connections around the seats and airbags. Although its not a vectra, my clio had the same problem, and its fairly common with clios. I just wiggled all the wires under the seats until it flashed on and off, i think it was the cable to the seatbelt pretensioners that were causing it, not even the airbags!
MikeR

posted on 16/12/11 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
The new parts and fitting are over £200 + VAT what a rip off it should be MY choice if i want air bags or not- not the MOT

I guess the rest of us then get the choice to decide if you get treated on the NHS for the injurys you sustain in a crash as my taxes will be paying for your care when you didn't bother to get your car fixed.

The airbag is there for a reason & I suspect they didn't modify the test just to wee you off but to increase safety.

As Loggyboy said check connections in seats etc, its a common problem in 3 door cars with the seats moving so much the the electrics break. I appreciate the vectra isn't a 3 door but its still worth looking at. A fault code reader may also say what the error is instead of just "its failed".

l0rd

posted on 16/12/11 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
re-MOT it before new year?
PhilCross66

posted on 17/12/11 at 12:48 AM Reply With Quote
So i assume MikeR will be fitting an airbag to his kit since they are fitted for a reason
snowy2

posted on 17/12/11 at 05:38 AM Reply With Quote
air bags are a "safety feature" and it is now a requirement for them to work, much like your brakes. If you have ABS it also has to work when fitted, if you want to choose to not have an air bag then buy a car with out them fitted. Likewise with ABS,traction control etc if you don't want them choose a car without.
As an ex-MOT tester i have wondered when these regulations were coming in, and what's next....it in some ways explains why i drive kit cars (i have 3) if i think i want it on my car i fit it. I have much the same view about Cats if you really need to have a "new reg" plate then you have to have a cat, it's the rules. if your not so precious about a "61" plate then you don't have the problem.

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

snapper

posted on 17/12/11 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
A lot of the jump ties round here dont use seatbelts, drives me up the wall, my partner who in transplant medicine just says "transplant fodder, more organs for the needey" also a Darwin award candidate, less defective genes in the gene pool.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Danozeman

posted on 17/12/11 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Get a squib from a breakers and fit it yourself. Theyr easy to do and common as hell on vauxhalls. Might just need a light reset then but if you cycle the ignition enough times the light will go out anyway. If its a vectra C it will be can bus so no chance of fiddling it as the dash is a control unit.

[Edited on 17/12/11 by Danozeman]

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

britishtrident

posted on 17/12/11 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
As already said it its usually the connectors under the seat, apparently the foam in the seats slowly releases a corrosive vapour that corrodes the connectors..

Disconnect the battery and allow 20 minutes for the capacitors to to discharge before fiddling the connections, clean the plugs & socket connection with a good quality contact cleaner and lubricate with silicone contact grease.

Part of the test will also be check that the drivers seat can be adjusted and lock properly in at least 3 positions so check the SRS light remains off when the seat is moved.

In my experience the problem is usually the connector for the seat occupancy sensor, so it is important not to dive in and start changing parts at random. If cleaning the connectors dosen't clear the fault then get the codes read before swapping parts.

[Edited on 17/12/11 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

iank

posted on 17/12/11 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PhilCross66
So i assume MikeR will be fitting an airbag to his kit since they are fitted for a reason

Not if he's got harness's fitted instead of diagonal belts as they perform the same function as airbags.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

snippy

posted on 17/12/11 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
The airbag light is a very common fault on all older mondeos too, it`s happened on mine. As others have said it was the connectors under the drivers seat that link to the seat belt pre tensioners. Pull them apart and spray some electrical spray on the connectors. Did the trick for me every time. Might be similar on the vectra?
jacko

posted on 17/12/11 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
quote:
Originally posted by jacko

I guess the rest of us then get the choice to decide if you get treated on the NHS for the injurys you sustain in a crash as my taxes will be paying for your care when you didn't bother to get your car fixed.

The airbag is there for a reason & I suspect they didn't modify the test just to wee you off but to increase safety.

As Loggyboy said check connections in seats etc, its a common problem in 3 door cars with the seats moving so much the the electrics break. I appreciate the vectra isn't a 3 door but its still worth looking at. A fault code reader may also say what the error is instead of just "its failed".

Yes you are right i will get it fixed but it would be nice to do it when i decide not goverment [ vosa ]
jacko

dray13dad

posted on 17/12/11 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Its not Vosa or the goverment that has decided on all theses changes but europe!!!

Like we will have to test to make sure that the ignition lock works...

How the hell that comes in to road safety i don't know..

jacko

posted on 17/12/11 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dray13dad
Its not Vosa or the goverment that has decided on all theses changes but europe!!!

Like we will have to test to make sure that the ignition lock works...

How the hell that comes in to road safety i don't know..

It sounds like you are a mot man so hypothetical question if i have 4 strap [ full harnesses ] dose the airbag have to work ?
Jacko

MikeR

posted on 17/12/11 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
the general rule is if its fitted it has to work - wait for an official answer but i wouldn't hold you hopes up.
MikeR

posted on 17/12/11 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PhilCross66
the mistake here is assuming i'll actually finish the car :-) 5 point harness is the plan with moulded seat and head restraint. Reality is air bags are complicated thinks to design and build and as an amateur i could never be certain it would be safe / less dangerous than not having one. Nb a friend used to design airbags for a living so this is based on conversations in the pub a couple of years ago, i guess things may have moved on.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.