Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Battery Acid Burn
computid

posted on 24/12/11 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Battery Acid Burn

Hi all,
Last night I was filling up my new bike battery and I got some of the acid on my finger. I cleaned it off and thought nothing of it. Now however there what appears to be a burn on my finger and the first couple dermal layers are missing/damaged. With it being christmas and all I dont really want to have to seek medical attention so does anyone know if theres anything I should be doing with it? Its a tad painful when touched like any other burn but nothing serious.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!





Bikes: GSXR 400 GK73a, GSXR 400 GK73a (Track, in bits now!)

Cars: Single carb 1.5 alfasud boxer Minari Roadsport MK2, another Twin carb 1.5 alfasud boxer Minari Roadsport MK2 and a Minari RSR (Road Sport Racing) 1.7 16V Fuel Injected racer.

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 24/12/11 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
I thought that loads of water was enough to neutralise battery acid!

Also, have heard that vinegar does it too.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fullpint

posted on 24/12/11 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon a quick visit to A&E mate.. Calcium gluconate gel should to the trick but only if applied after you have washed the acid off with water for a good 10mins....
I use hydrofloric acid which is nasty stuff. In some cases it has been known to turn your skin black (like frost bite) and in the worse case you are then left with out a limb or two..
Get it checked out mate ASAP....





I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..
www.tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 24/12/11 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely not vinegar (it is an acid)
The normal treatment is washing off with plenty of water. The thing about sulphuric acid is it sucks water out of what it comes into contact with, that is sometimes worse than the acid burn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqi50sjJVc0

I suspect all the damage is now done, next time wash well.

As to HF, that really is nasty. I was under the impression the normal treatment was amputation.....

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 24/12/11 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Had acid on my skin several times in the last 45 years, flush well with water ASAP
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
spdpug98

posted on 24/12/11 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like me this morning, I did exactly the same thing as well as a small splash in my eye - rinsed it immediately and all seems OK at the moment, will see how it is in the morning

At least I have a new battery and the car is ready for the Boxing Day run-out





My Blog: http://spdpug98.wordpress.com/

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cadebytiger

posted on 24/12/11 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
i would wash well and stick some antiseptic on it to prevent any infection due to damaged skin.

Keep an eye on it but should be fine.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
SteveWallace

posted on 24/12/11 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
I used to work with HF as well. For those of you not familiar with it, just watch any one of the 'Alien' films and you will get a fairly good idea of what its like. You cannot even store it in glass bottles, because it dissolves that as well!

One of the glass blowers that I used to work with got some on his thumb. His thumb was only saved because his colleague ripped his thumb nail off with a pair of pliers so that the remaining bit could be irrigated quickly enough to limit the damage.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
MakeEverything

posted on 24/12/11 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Milk is a good neutraliser of most household acids. I wouldn't use a chemical to neutralise a chemical, as there is often a raction.





Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

BLOG: http://21toc.com/blog.php?1742-MakeEverything

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
avagolen

posted on 24/12/11 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
I recall being told to rinse battery acid with Bicarb of soda which neutralises the acid.

Mind you my memory is jumbling things these days

Len.





The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dusty

posted on 24/12/11 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
Bicarbonate of soda every time. It's completely harmless to skin, and can be ingested for indigestion. (Reacts with battery acid to leave CO2, water and sodium sulphate. All harmless on the skin.) Running water as soon as possible and for as long as it takes to find the bicarb. Then sprinkle on the powder if the acid is still wet or damp. Dissolve in water and soak if the acid has dried and you think it is still active. Any stomach antacid will do as well. Milk of magnesia, gaviscon etc. All obviously safe!
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 25/12/11 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
And to add, if in an eye, irrigate with water for as long as you can bear it, I would give it at least 10 mins. Same applies for sodium hydroxide. Eyes shoudl also be checked out properly, you don't want to risk them.

Once had a kid at skool take googles off during an expt, got sulphuric acid in eye (not as conc as battery acid, think it was 2M stuff) she wasn't happy when I held her head under a tap for so long, made a real fuss. Parent was a paramedic, and actually wrote a letter to thank me. It does happen sometimes.................

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply


go to top






Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content 2001-12 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.