Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Wishbones and bushes
Poorscousertommy

posted on 5/1/12 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Wishbones and bushes

Hi all, just pressed in the bushes and crush tubes into first upper wishbone (front), and upon assembly crush tube was interference fit with bracket (had to tap in with rubber mallet to get the bolts through).

Arm is quite stiff to move, and bushes rotate (should the bushes rotate in the wishbone, or the crush tube in the bush??)

Any ideas? Is this normal? If not, how do I get the bushes out or is it FUBARed??

Heeelp!

Off to paint my diff while you venerable lot fix my woes!!

TimC

posted on 5/1/12 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
The crush tube should rotate in the bush which should be static in the housing.

phelpsa

posted on 5/1/12 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
And they should rotate as freely as possibly ideally.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 5/1/12 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Leave the bolts loose, only tighten once that car is fully loaded and on flat ground or you will destroy the bushes very quickly.

Regards Mark

phelpsa

posted on 5/1/12 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Leave the bolts loose, only tighten once that car is fully loaded and on flat ground or you will destroy the bushes very quickly.

Regards Mark

Only valid for bonded rubber bushes, not plastic ones with a free crush tube.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Poorscousertommy

posted on 5/1/12 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks folks - great hints and tips.. So is there something I can do with the existing bushes? Now that theyre pressed, I'm buggered if I can figure out how to get them out without damage.. Also, is there a common cause? Have I done something wrong? Should they be so tight in the bracket etc etc?

I want to crack on with getting suspension assembled tomorrow, but don't want overly stiff, squeaky suspension!

Also, is there a knack to pressing? I am doing outer bush, then crush tube, then inner using a vice and going veeeery slowly!

Cheers

phelpsa

posted on 5/1/12 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Poorscousertommy
Thanks folks - great hints and tips.. So is there something I can do with the existing bushes? Now that theyre pressed, I'm buggered if I can figure out how to get them out without damage.. Also, is there a common cause? Have I done something wrong? Should they be so tight in the bracket etc etc?

I want to crack on with getting suspension assembled tomorrow, but don't want overly stiff, squeaky suspension!

Also, is there a knack to pressing? I am doing outer bush, then crush tube, then inner using a vice and going veeeery slowly!

Cheers

Unfortunately not an easy fix. Its that the bore on the housing is slightly too small causing the bush to be squeezed slightly. I overcame the issue by removing the crush tubes and reaming the bore of the bushes (while in the wishbone) to 3/4". Others have overcome it by turning down the crush tube slightly.

posted on 5/1/12 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
As TimC & Phelpsa say, tight in the w/b but free to move on the crush tube.

My own crush tubes were a tight fit so after fitting them into the w/b tubes
I reamed out the i/d's

To ensure they were aligned I did this on my lathe, turning the chuck by hand
while winding the tail stock in. Turned the w/b around and did the other side.

The pic below shows the set up.

HTH
Paul G

Reaming poly bushes
Reaming poly bushes

Davegtst

posted on 5/1/12 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
I put both bushes in before pushing in the crush tube. I then took it all back apart again as it was way too tight and would hardly move at all. What I did was dremil out the powder coat inside the wishbone and clean up the crush tubes with sandpaper. After this it moves perfectly.
Mad Dave

posted on 5/1/12 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
My crush tubes were a tight fit (persuaded with a mallet) and wishbones were stiff when I first fitted them. After 6 months on the road I took out the wishbones to re-grease the bushes. I expected this to be a pain but the crush tubes just slid straight out (wear and distortion). I would only ream the bushes if the were bronze and the crush tube was machined. Your crush tubes are made from stock 3/4 od seamless tube, it is not perfectly circular. I'd leave it for now and crack on with the build
Bluemoon

posted on 6/1/12 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
As TimC & Phelpsa say, tight in the w/b but free to move on the crush tube.

My own crush tubes were a tight fit so after fitting them into the w/b tubes
I reamed out the i/d's

To ensure they were aligned I did this on my lathe, turning the chuck by hand
while winding the tail stock in. Turned the w/b around and did the other side.

The pic below shows the set up.

HTH
Paul G

Reaming poly bushes
Reaming poly bushes

Thanks 907, may try that approach, sure mine need looking at... I think you method is probably the best I have seen, making sure the bones only have one axis of rotation..

procomp

posted on 6/1/12 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I wouldn't be to concerned with the inner crush / pivot tubes. If they are STD MK supply for the INDY R then you need to make new ones anyhow.
You'll find that the crush tube is 1/2" bore but with 12mm bolts and suspension mounting brackets on the chassis. That results in around 1 deg of camber change and a huge amount of toe change whilst driving down the road at the front end. But it's the same for all the bushes at the rear also. !!!

Cheers Matt

Neville Jones

posted on 6/1/12 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Now now Matt, be nice.

Those who know what is what already know the Mk is not the most well thought out or executed car, but then again, hundreds of mugs who bought them can't be wrong. The MK looks great, just don't try and make sense of the (lack of) intelligent design thought (not) put into them.

Cheers,
Nev.

Where's that bloody flak jacket got to!

TimC

posted on 6/1/12 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
In fairness, my Polyflex units still need fettling - very stiff.

bobinspain

posted on 6/1/12 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
In fairness, my Polyflex units still need fettling - very stiff.

As Dick Emery would've said, "Oooo you are awful---!"

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.