Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: 1st drive with 13" wheels and R888s
whitestu

posted on 15/1/12 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
1st drive with 13" wheels and R888s

Went out for the first time yesterday following a switch from heavy 15" TSW alloys with Yoko A539s to Team Dynamics pro race 1.2 13" wheels and Toyo R888s.

Not much grip to start with as the tyres were new, but after a few miles they were good, though I wasn't pushing it.

The biggest difference at normal road speeds is how much better the car deals with bumpy B roads given the reduction in unsprung weight, and surprisingly it self centres much better as well.

Looking forward to getting it on a track now!

Stu

eddie99

posted on 15/1/12 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds good, I'm on track next week testing actual track time differences between 15 r888 and 13 a048
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
daniel mason

posted on 15/1/12 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
let us know eddie. i have 205/60/13 a048's on my new mnr. 195/50/15 on my last one
does the larger sidewall of the 13" tyre make a big difference?

coozer

posted on 15/1/12 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Whats the ride like? Any better feed back?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

afj

posted on 15/1/12 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Pictures please

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Proby

posted on 15/1/12 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
This is something Ive been considering. I've got 15" rims on the F27, but used to run 13" with A021R on my Westfield. Tyes are cheaper too on 13's which is a bonus!
dlatch

posted on 15/1/12 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
i have actually gone the other way
my reason being was there is actually a far better range of road tyres for the 15" size (what cars these days use a 13" wheel? ) and as mine will do just the odd trackday also having light 15" wheels offsets the difference and i could still keep my old 13" for track work anyway so best of both worlds i guess.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
whitestu

posted on 15/1/12 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Whats the ride like? Any better feed back?

Ride is definately better, and a bit more feedback but not a massive change in that respect.

Stu

fullpint

posted on 15/1/12 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Stu; What size are the 13's? as in rim width.. I'm also on 15's running 195/50 but would like to down size. I sell a couple of sets in the For Sale section that are 13" x 6", I think mine are 15 x 7 ..
And as said 13" rubber is cheaper. Ok my car is mainly road use but having good rubber is a must..
Sounds like the R888 work for you

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..
www.tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
whitestu

posted on 16/1/12 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Stu; What size are the 13's? as in rim width..

They are 7" wide. I have 185s on the front and 205s on the back, but they should fit on 6" rims.

Stu

RK

posted on 18/1/12 at 12:54 AM Reply With Quote
I too am going to 15 after having 13's. I never got the pressures right I don't think, so handling left a lot to be desired. However, I need the clearance offered by the 15's and the tyres were actually cheaper, as they were ex-Miata/MX5 spec tyres in the States, and they switched to RA1's or something. Brand spanking new R888's. Can't wait!
martynrich67

posted on 27/1/12 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Did you have any problems with clearance over brakes and/or suspension/hub components, etc?

What wheels have you used?

I'd like to go from 15" Pro Race 1.2s to 13" Revolutions, but by all I have read, it looks like I might struggle.

[Edited on 27/1/12 by martynrich67]

rdodger

posted on 27/1/12 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
I have Pro race 1.2 13" wheels over midilite calipers and 260mm discs. There isn't a lot of clearance but there is clearance.
RK

posted on 27/1/12 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
My 13's are over Mk 1 MX5 brakes. Barely fit, but do not rub.
fullpint

posted on 28/1/12 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
I REALLY must get a set of 13's with decent rubber on.. My current 15's with rain master tyres are totally SH1T.. Perhaps I can borrow a set for an hour to see the feel the effect!!

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..
www.tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk

INDY-R ZZR

posted on 28/1/12 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
The pro race 13" wheels look very nice too
Not Anumber

posted on 24/4/12 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
i'm going to bracket a spare on the back of the car, in a cover so it doesn't have to look anything like the wheels on the car. Will a standard 13" Sierra wheel be any use as a spare on an Indy, will it fit over the uprights ?

The road wheels are 15" - not sure if the builder actually needed this size to get over the uprights or just cos they looked nice.

RK

posted on 24/4/12 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure you have enough ground clearance with 13's. I have a destroyed engine and immobile car for quite a long time ahead of me because of hitting the road with my sump.
Not Anumber

posted on 25/4/12 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
With a high profile bog standard 13" tyre i'm confident the ground clearance wouln't be much different and we are only talking about in the event of a puncture. I'm more concerned about whether the inside of the rm has enough clearance against the upright ?
RickRick

posted on 25/4/12 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
I'm in the same boat, about to change rear brake calipers, and thinking of fitting pro race 13" when these tires are done, would someone be able to measure the inner diameter of the 13" pro race wheels in about the position the disk sits in

Thanks

loggyboy

posted on 25/4/12 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Is the MK sierra based, IIRC it is. My sierra donor has 13inch steels, so I would guess they should fit fine, providing you havent uprated the brakes over standard sierra dia.

quote:
The biggest difference at normal road speeds is how much better the car deals with bumpy B roads given the reduction in unsprung weight, and surprisingly it self centres much better as well.

Also just to add to this, the better dealing with bumps will be largely down to the increase rubber height rather than unsprungwight.

Mistral Motorsport

whitestu

posted on 25/4/12 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Also just to add to this, the better dealing with bumps will be largely down to the increase rubber height rather than unsprungwight

That makes sense. I put the 13" wheels against the 15" before I fitted them and the 185/60 13s on the front had the same diameter as old 195/50 15s, and the 205/60 13s on the back were actually a bit bigger.

Stu

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.