Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I've finally got a garage, idea on what to do in it.
morcus

posted on 18/1/12 at 03:55 AM Reply With Quote
I've finally got a garage, idea on what to do in it.

After years of living in Flats I've finally got a house and a garage and will in the next couple of months have soe money to spend on my first propper project. I don't think I'm ready for a propper kit build yet (Financially or space wise) but I'm looking at getting something to muck about with and want suggestions of what to look out for. I'm strongly considering a mini to do up and hopefully go out on track with but want to explore more options.

My budget isn't exactly set but I'd be willing to go to £1200 for something like a mini, as they seem to go for fairly decent money in conditions I wouldn't attempt so if it all goes tits up I'll get some of it back. for more normal fair it's more like £800, thats just purchase price, total budget is irrelevant as it will be an as and when sort of thing. What ever it is has to be an automatic.

Other than Mini's I've been looking at 205's, Renault 5's and Austin Maestros on classifieds. Ideally I want something it's easy to get bits for.

I'm not entirely sure what I'll do with the car, I want to go on some track days and maybe have a go at trials or sprints if possible, but the general plan is to have something to fix up and make it drive well, but I'd like suggestions on that front aswell as what sort of cars to look out for.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Ninehigh

posted on 18/1/12 at 06:19 AM Reply With Quote
If you want something to drive on the road the only limiting factor really is your personal taste.

orton1966

posted on 18/1/12 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
I'd go 205

quote:
Originally posted by morcus
Other than Mini's I've been looking at 205's, Renault 5's and Austin Maestros on classifieds. Ideally I want something it's easy to get bits for.

I'm not entirely sure what I'll do with the car, I want to go on some track days and maybe have a go at trials or sprints if possible, but the general plan is to have something to fix up and make it drive well, but I'd like suggestions on that front aswell as what sort of cars to look out for.

Everyone’s different but of the cars you mention and ideas for using it, you have, I’d go for the 205.

Basically, in my view, it is the only one of those that can “cut it” with modern cars without spending a lot on upgrades. A 205 Gti, stripped out, on modern rubber and with only basic suspension upgrades (harder bushes, better shocks and springs) will live with most things on track. Something that can’t be said for the others, with the possible exception of a good Renault 5 turbo but I think you’d need to spend more for the same thrills there.

Obviously mini’s do have a huge following but personally I’ve never seen the attraction, I owned one and hated the way it drove!

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 18/1/12 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
My 205 gti project is still for sale, http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=155594

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

T66

posted on 18/1/12 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
205 or MX5 - Loads of parts cheap, and both good cars.

FuryRebuild

posted on 18/1/12 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
airtools

Hi Morcus

One of the things I most regretted not doing up front when i set up my garage and built my fury was not investing in air-tools.

I managed to get a cheap compressor for £200 and one airline which has worked faultlessly.

My first tools was a nut-spinner (think socket wrench but quicker) which was great for speedily putting nuts on and off of all sizes and it was designed to deliberately not over-torque the nuts.

Once you get moving you'll find that the air-tools you need are way cheaper than the equivalent power tools and there is a bewildering array of tools to do more or less every job you could want.

It's saved me huge amounts of time either in speeding jobs up or having the right tool for the job.

Good Luck
Mark

off-road-ham

posted on 18/1/12 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
What ever it is has to be an automatic.

To me the problem with the cars you mention is the automatic bit. As far as I know thay did not do performance versions in auto form, which means slow only without a lot of work. You don't want to do a trackday in a slow car.(I did one in an audi quattro and was lapped in about 5 minuites, not fun).

Unless you want front wheel drive I would advise looking at 3 series bmw or similar. Fairly easy to put bigger engine/box from bigger car. Or perhaps if you can find a sierra and a big v8 auto, think XR8 auto.
Plenty of knolage on those for suspension and tuning.

just my opinion, tony

Benzine

posted on 18/1/12 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
small and auto - daf 66, volvo 66
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tul214

posted on 18/1/12 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Something like this?

Rip out all of the weight and fit a set of coil-overs....200bhp, v6

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

TimEllershaw

posted on 18/1/12 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tul214
Something like this?

Rip out all of the weight and fit a set of coil-overs....200bhp, v6

Loads of those for less than a £grand.
- Why so cheap ? expected them to go for more.

http://www.teenagecancertrust.org/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
b14wrc

posted on 18/1/12 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
R5 GTT are mental, my friend has ran them for many years and are so simple to work on. Stripped out and 180bhp, they are flying machines.

Problem is, they are now 'collectors' cars... you wont find a good cheap one. And they wernt auto.... But i would still have one today if a mint standard grey one came up and i had the space.

Rob

20vt powered rear engined locost

nick205

posted on 18/1/12 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
The auto box requirement will limit choice, but you should still be able to find something suitable. The 205 Gentry was essentially a 1.9GTI motor (XU9 variant) mated to a 4 speed auto box. They weren't a huge seller so may take a while to find, but on the up side there's endless parts and options for the 205 to up the performance and handling.

stevebubs

posted on 18/1/12 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Is the auto limitation a physical or license limitation?

e.g. could you have a manual car with a kliktronic or similar system installed?

morcus

posted on 18/1/12 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
unfortunatly the limitation is a lisence one based on a physical limitation, I could drive a clutchless car or one with a hand clutch but not legally on the road.

Thanks for the sugestions so far, I'd had a look at FTO's and it's something I'd consider (Especially since they all seem to have auto boxes with manual over ride) but they not that high on my list as I thought they'd be difficult to work on and though cheap they are at the top end of what I'm looking to spend. On the other hand I could use something like that as my normal car aswell. I'd like an MX5 as well but again they tend to be towards the top of my budget, and I don't think I could own an MX5 and not use it for everything so I'd end up not doing anything to it. I'd love a Jag but it won't fit in my garage.

BMW is something I'm going to look into again. Is it worth looking at Mercs or will they be too complicated and not particularly good for a sporty project?

FWD isn't something I'm particularly after, it's just my original ideas were all that kind of car. I was mostly looking at small and old cars for insurance reasons and towing as I want to this propperly rather than try and work on my only car, but I suppose I could get round that by having a small car as my normal car (I'm getting read of my current car to fund this and by a bigger car).

From what been said so far, mini and 205 are still towards the top. My regular 205 1.6 auto I used to have that needed alot doing to it was quicker than the sporty saxos and fiestas my mates had so I reckon a stripped out one with uprated suspension would be brilliant and it's one of the few cars that there are hot versions with auto boxes with the gentry and the GTi auto (Destined for Japan but they never went and were sold here). I've still got the haynes manual for the 205 and still no my way around the engine bay of a carbed model so that would probably the sensible choice.

Thanks for the advise on air tools, I'm going to have a look into that.

Are there any books you guys can recommend so I can start reading up while I'm waiting for everything to go through? Is it worth trying to test drive examples of the stuff I'm looking for to try and narrow it down or will most of it be irrelevent once everythings been fettled?

AndyGT

posted on 18/1/12 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Did they make Fiat Coupe in Auto format?

nothing is impossible
everything is possible

morcus

posted on 18/1/12 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think they did.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.