Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra alloy rear carriers
rost

posted on 18/1/12 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Sierra alloy rear carriers

I've been looking at a few options, but I can't really get my head around the differences.

Caterham sell these and these I'm guessing the last one will definately not fit because the CSR hub is significantly different looking. The first one looks like it has the same form as the original ones.
Berrisford do these
And another one from DRD Racing (Bottom of page)

The questions that remain are:
- All of these are drum brake hubs, and thus needing a lug plate to mount calipers. I assume these must be available somewhere, but I can't find them just right now.
- What is the exact difference between the push-in and bolt-on type driveshafts? Do they take the same carrier/bearing?
- Are there any differences in wheel bearing fitment. Burton Power sells two different types. Is this the same difference as for the push-in and bolt-on shafts?
- Did I forget anything here?

Personally I lean towards the Caterham ones, they're a good deal since they include a bearing. Would these fit my striker with 7" push-in diff and Scorpio calipers?

[Edited on 18/1/12 by rost]

Charlie don't surf!

snakebelly

posted on 18/1/12 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
i think youll find the bearing size for push in and lobro shafts may be different so would be best to check.
rdodger

posted on 18/1/12 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
The Berrisford and DRD are both Alloy replacements for Disc brake bearing calipers. They just don't have the ears on for mounting the caliper.When you use them on their grass track cars the caliper mounts are welded to the suspension arms.

I bought some and sent them back as I couldn't get them to fit with the Wilwood Drum replacement handbrake kit.

They take a larger bearing than the drum brake Sierra.

Push in and bolt in type shafts take different bearings.

The Caterham ones look like standard Sierra drum type bearing carriers.

What have you got on the car at the moment?

This thread has quite a bit of info on it.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/3/viewthread.php?tid=162473&page=1

[Edited on 18/1/12 by rdodger]

rost

posted on 19/1/12 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
I've got drum carriers and a lug plate from a company here in Holland. I'll probably be converting to Powerlite HB calipers on the rear, and fitting lighter carriers seems like a nice upgrade too.

Does anyone have experience with the Caterham ones? Does Caterham use push-in or bolt-on shafts on their SV/S3?

[Edited on 19/1/12 by rost]

Charlie don't surf!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.