Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Prop catcher
loggyboy

posted on 22/1/12 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
Prop catcher

After seeing a few minor horror stories of props letting go, thought id make one up for mine. Infact, i decided to make 2, 1 for each end. This meant I didnt have vertical members to mount on so came up with this template:

Was fairly happy with that so set out making it.

The steel I used is quite thin (1.5mm ish) but due to having the circular ring I felt that its really only ever going to guide the prop, and due to being fairly well contained forces would be minimal, and should certainy allow me to come to a stop before it destroyed itself.

One side of my steel sheet was very rusty (untread peices on left), so some 'green gel' helped out, followed by a good rub down.

And just some lightening holes to make me feel better about adding weight!

Whatta ya think?

Just gotta add some rivnuts to the chassis to mount it on, then powder coat, and make the 2nd one for the front, but that will have to wait till the gearbox is in so i know where it needs to be located.

[Edited on 22/1/12 by loggyboy]

A1

posted on 23/1/12 at 02:15 AM Reply With Quote
off topic, but see that drill youve got... ever had a problem with them? ive had two now where they go onto overload mode and stop having any speed variability. bit of a pain.

i like the prop catcher though! puts your mind at ease a bit

designer

posted on 23/1/12 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
That's a good job.

Personally, I'd only put one on the front, despite what is said on here, because if the UJ's are well maintained the one that will let's go is the front as it is the one taking mist stress.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 23/1/12 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
That's a good job.

Personally, I'd only put one on the front, despite what is said on here, because if the UJ's are well maintained the one that will let's go is the front as it is the one taking mist stress.

Why does the front one take more stress than the rear? Both take the same amount of torque, and any articulation should be very similar.

Irony

posted on 23/1/12 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Personally I'll be making 2 but I think if I was making just the one I'd put it on the front. I have visions of it coming off a jabbing into the ground at speed and punching the rear of the car upwards........

Thinking about it.... what is the problem with making just one and putting it in the middle. The chances of both ends of the shaft coming off are remote.

loggyboy

posted on 23/1/12 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
Thinking about it.... what is the problem with making just one and putting it in the middle. The chances of both ends of the shaft coming off are remote.

I did think about that, but due to the clearance left (Mainly down to my poor manufacturing tolerances!), I felt that the angles left if there was only a central one, the prop could still move a fair amount. As the tunnel is quite narrow the loom, brake and fuel lines could still get caught, where has having 2 the movement is limited to the amount of gap ive left only.

designer

posted on 23/1/12 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
The front UJ takes all the initial 'shock' force so, if both are in the same condition, it breaks first.

Putting a prop catcher in the middle will let the prop flail more and trash any steelwork, pipes, wires, etc.

[Edited on 23-1-12 by designer]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 23/1/12 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
I have one fitted, simple but effective.

Prop Catcher
Prop Catcher

loggyboy

posted on 23/1/12 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
simple but effective.

Has it been tested then? or are you just hoping so?

(not saying that it isnt/wont be - just wondered!)

loggyboy

posted on 23/1/12 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A1
off topic, but see that drill youve got... ever had a problem with them? ive had two now where they go onto overload mode and stop having any speed variability. bit of a pain.

Been fine for me. Got it last Christmas for about £80 (maybe 60? i forget) from B&Q, came with 2 batterys and it seems to be working well, done plenty with it too.

adithorp

posted on 23/1/12 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Personally I'll be making 2 but I think if I was making just the one I'd put it on the front. I have visions of it coming off a jabbing into the ground at speed and punching the rear of the car upwards........

The main danger with a broken prop is it flailing around not sticking in the ground. That tends to take out the rear loom and fuel lines and in a few cases, the tunnel panel and even chassis tubes... and then your ankles/arse! The prop catchers job is to restrain the prop as close to in line as possible. As long as it's inline then it just spins and doesn't need the catcher to be very strong. Putting it in the middle increases the angle that a broken shaft can move out of line and the amount of flailing.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

MikeRJ

posted on 23/1/12 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
The front UJ takes all the initial 'shock' force so, if both are in the same condition, it breaks first.

Think about this: if the rear UJ was disconnected how much torque would be put through the front UJ? Only the amount required to actually accelerate the mass of the prop itself which is tiny in comparison to the loads required to move the car.

scudderfish

posted on 23/1/12 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The chances of both ends of the shaft coming off are remote.

If both ends come off, you don't have to worry about the prop flailing into your thigh as it is 50m up the road behind you

roadrunner

posted on 23/1/12 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
I think this is an easy job worth doing.
I will do mine this winter while the engine swap is ongoing , it will be easier to do.
Nice job by the way.
And if all thought about bad things happening while we are driving, we would never get off the drive.
Brad.

matt_gsxr

posted on 23/1/12 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
How are you going to attach the prop catcher to the chassis?
If you weld it then will you ever get the prop out again?

loggyboy

posted on 23/1/12 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

Just gotta add some rivnuts to the chassis to mount it on

Rivnuts, 2x m5 on the 25mm bottom rails, and however big ones I can fit on the smaller 19mm rails on top.

foskid

posted on 23/1/12 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Prop Catcher
Prop Catcher

I like that one, Afraid I'm going have to plagiarize that I hope you don't mind.

He knows nothing and thinks he knows everything. That points clearly to a political career.
George Bernard Shaw

40inches

posted on 23/1/12 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by foskid
quote:

Prop Catcher
Prop Catcher

I like that one, Afraid I'm going have to plagiarize that I hope you don't mind.

That will be 2 of us then .Can't remember where I saw it originally, one at the front would be nice, but a bit difficult on a bike engine
Edited to add that I say them first here: http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=155223&page=1
but wanted to panel the tunnel in and couldn't wait, so I made my own. I think FASTdan was selling them for £20 for 2 sets

[Edited on 23-1-12 by 40inches]

40inches

posted on 23/1/12 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
simple but effective.

Has it been tested then? or are you just hoping so?

(not saying that it isnt/wont be - just wondered!)

Don't see why it would not work, not keen to find out though
It would be plenty strong enough, 8mm cap heads through the chassis member with nyloc flange nuts.
Wouldn't use rivnuts though, although they may hold it long enough before breaking free.

loggyboy

posted on 23/1/12 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Don't see why it would not work, not keen to find out though
It would be plenty strong enough, 8mm cap heads through the chassis member with nyloc flange nuts.
Wouldn't use rivnuts though, although they may hold it long enough before breaking free.

Im not to concerned as the forces on the rivnuts and assoc bolts would be lessened by the fact the plates are bent over, so the shape of the catcher itself would be taking any force from a loose prop. The bolts are really their to just stop the catcher from falling over.

big-vee-twin

posted on 23/1/12 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Think fast dan sells them for a reasonable cost, not worth messing about - just get one from him.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

loggyboy

posted on 23/1/12 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
Think fast dan sells them for a reasonable cost, not worth messing about - just get one from him.

His are mounted to vertical members, which is fine if you just want one central one, as in the strikers case the vertical members are not located in the positions I wanted the catchers in!

mcerd1

posted on 24/1/12 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin

His are mounted to vertical members, which is fine if you just want one central one, as in the strikers case the vertical members are not located in the positions I wanted the catchers in!

same problem with my dax - but I've got even less tubes to attach too

-

svante

posted on 25/1/12 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
I didnt have one....

But the propshaft didnt separate, it just got a little off center.

It was all caused by a broken weld in the gear extension.

I broke the gearbox in half

loggyboy

posted on 15/6/13 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
just thought id add the pics of them both finished and powder coated to this thread.

Mistral Motorsport

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.