Posts 256
Registered 16/4/07
Location West Mids

Photo Archive Go!
Building: a sense of satisfaction now things seem to work ok

posted on 23/1/12 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
coolant plumbing tip please

Hi all,

I am going to block off the heater outlet from my thermostat (heaters are for wimps right?!?!?!). Am I right to think that I can fit a stubby bit of hose to the thermostat outlet and then block off the open end with an appropriate size bolt and jubilee clip?

Thanks

Chris

big_wasa

posted on 23/1/12 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Yep or you can make or buy a nice bung. An alloy one weights bugger all and will have grooves to stop it blowing of.
britishtrident

posted on 23/1/12 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Don't its part of the cooling called the by-pass water circulates in it even when the heater is off.

If you block off the by-pass the thermostat won't open until the coolant in the top end of engine is on the verge of boiling while the bottoms of the cylinders will be over cool.

Older tin-top engines (roughly pre-1965) such as the BMC A & B series had water valve heaters and had the by-pass built into the engine between the water pump inlet and head this kept the water flow circulating even when the thermostat was closed and heater turned off.

More modern cars have air blending heaters that is the heater core has water flow through them even when the heater is off the heater temperature is controlled by blending hot and cold air flow.

To remove the heater all you need to do is link heater hoses, you can restrict the flow a little but leave at least 12 mm bore to allow enough flow.

[Edited on 23/1/12 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.