Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Supercharged Zetec.
jeffw

posted on 27/1/12 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Supercharged Zetec.

As some of you will know I am in the process of having my Zetec supercharged. The supercharger will be a kit from Omex, who are also supplying the rods and pistons, Bosch 044 pump, 690cc injectors and the map sensor/cabling. Flak Monkey of these parts is making me a backplate and spacer to take the GTiR Nissan plenum.

Currently the engine is out of the car and at ATSpeed for the rods and pistons to be fitted. The gearbox is with BGH to be refurbed while the car is at Fury Sportscars for other work (and the have the engine taken out and back in).

Once the engine is back in I will fit the supercharger, sort out the intercooler etc and then the car will be back to ATSpeed to be mapped.

This is the rolling road results for Omex's development engine which was running high compression than mine while but doesn't have the cams & head mine does (CNC Heads head/cam combination)

Not very Locost but I thought I would share anyway.

loggyboy

posted on 27/1/12 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
This is the spec of engine that Raw were displaying at Autosport and is shortly going in their Demo Phoenix IIRC.
Looks beastful.
http://www.totalkitcar.com/tkc_article_2143.php

[Edited on 27/1/12 by loggyboy]

jeffw

posted on 27/1/12 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Richard at Omex has just shipped RAW's engine to them so my kit is next. So there will be two supercharged Zetec Phoenix lol.

[Edited on 27/1/12 by jeffw]

Dopdog

posted on 27/1/12 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
in the link to Raws engine is that the same inlet you will be getting fitted to your car?
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 27/1/12 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
thats a mental power curve not sure my brain can react that quick......

Could i be cheeky and ask what the ball park cost will be?

Dopdog

posted on 27/1/12 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
just the supercharger kit from Raw is £2500 then all the rest of the bits to go with it
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 27/1/12 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
holy poop.

Sounds awesome though, on board video when available please!

loggyboy

posted on 27/1/12 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dopdog
just the supercharger kit from Raw is £2500 then all the rest of the bits to go with it

anything that adds circa 200hp is not gonna come cheap!

jeffw

posted on 27/1/12 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using the GTiR plenum which Flak has done for me.

The Jenvey one in the pictures of the RAW engine wouldn't fit in my car (they have had to use very short TBs to get it in) and it costs another £650. Total cost for the conversion is going to be in the region of £5.5K (supercharger kit, rods & pistons, intercooler, injectors, pump, building engine and mapping).

dlatch

posted on 27/1/12 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
now this is what i call winter upgrades
will be awesome when done bet you can't wait

the gtir plenum is popular with the turbo zetec boys as well and seems to work very well

[Edited on 27/1/12 by dlatch]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jeffw

posted on 27/1/12 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
The GTiR plenum is a good piece of kit and only £45 from a breakers.

mabbs

posted on 28/1/12 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to Hi-jack slightly but I am too building a supercharged Zetec engine. I have been building a MEV Rocket for about 15 months and after much research decided to use the Rotrex C30-94 with forged internals. At the time I started with the engine build Omex did not offer forged pistons and Rods so again with lots of research I got mine made by JE Pistons and PEC rods. Also their was no bracket for transverse application as it needed to incorporate the engine mount. TTS agreed to design the bracket for this application. I will be running a Jenvey plenum and a single 70mm throttle body and hope to make simular figures to yourself with slight head work. Have also invested in a Quaife straight cut close ratio gearbox with their ATB LSD, so taking RPM to 8000, should be good for 55mph in 1st and 160mph top end - but I very much doubt I will see that top end !!

As I work in the industry, the car is full carbon fibre panels, seats etc:

Seats have recently been changed to this picture for pre-preg carbon seats

Car is a little further on than the pics above and is currently being wired with an Omex 600. Should be mapped and dyno'd end of February with a bit of luck.

Will be watching your thread to see how your engine performs,

Jon

jeffw

posted on 28/1/12 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Some lovely work there...I'm pleased you changed the seats as the red ones didn't really suit the look.

The Omex kit uses the 30-94 as well running at 1.2 bar so it will be interesting to see what the figures look like .

me!

posted on 28/1/12 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Bloody hell- how big is it? It makes that other car in the garage look tiny!
jeffw

posted on 28/1/12 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
lol

mabbs

posted on 28/1/12 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Just found this pic of it at the Autosport show a couple of weeks ago with the pre-preg seats fitted:

Sorry - hijack over

jeffw

posted on 28/1/12 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
A great deal of work has gone into that...Mine will be dirty in comparison.

franky

posted on 28/1/12 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
A great deal of work has gone into that...Mine will be dirty in comparison.

And all the better for it, could you imagine trying to clean that once its got dirty

if you get circa 330bhp it'll be a quick car, my old one was heavier than yours and would still do a genuine 0-100 in 7sec's with road legal rubber on a stoney airfield. Should help you hit that 150mph at goodwood

jeffw

posted on 28/1/12 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hope so I was 6 secs off the FTD time set by a Nissan GTR last time out at Goodwood..extra top will help close the gap.

scotty g

posted on 28/1/12 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hi jeff,
was chatting to the guys from Fury sportscars last night and got to talking about your super charge upgrade, one of the other chaps in the pub also has a supercharged zetec in his GBS (robin hood) Zero and says his power curve tops out at about 230-240 bhp!!! so whats he done wrong?

jeffw

posted on 28/1/12 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
small supercharger? or low boost. Omex do a low boost kit with runs 0.6 bar with standard internals and injection system which makes 220 HP on a stock Zetec. Mine is a Rotrex 30-94 running 1.2Bar on Jenvey TBs and it has low comp forged pistons (10:1) and H section rods. With the large valve head and the high lift cams this should push the car into the 340-350 range.

BaileyPerformance

posted on 28/1/12 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
small supercharger? or low boost. Omex do a low boost kit with runs 0.6 bar with standard internals and injection system which makes 220 HP on a stock Zetec. Mine is a Rotrex 30-94 running 1.2Bar on Jenvey TBs and it has low comp forged pistons (10:1) and H section rods. With the large valve head and the high lift cams this should push the car into the 340-350 range.

Hi, you said 10/1 CR, this is high for a supercharged engine, we run 9.5/1 absolute max with 20PSI

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jeffw

posted on 29/1/12 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
Yes 10:1 on 1.2 bar so 17.4 PSI. Which is pretty much the same as 9.5:1 on 20PSI (or 1.37bar)

BaileyPerformance

posted on 30/1/12 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Yes 10:1 on 1.2 bar so 17.4 PSI. Which is pretty much the same as 9.5:1 on 20PSI (or 1.37bar)

You've lost me now! i was thinking of the static CR of the engine, a stock 2.0L zetec is 9.5/1. Normally a supercharged engine uses a lower static CR. For example Cosworth YB is 8.3/1 CR.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
jeffw

posted on 30/1/12 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Effectively when you boost an engine you increase the compression ratio by the amount of boost. So while the 10:1 ratio is higher the boost it is running is lower hence there isn't an issue.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.