Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Age related plate rule change?
GRRR

posted on 27/1/12 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Age related plate rule change?

I may be being dim but was looking at 'registering a kit car' page he re and unless I missed it or its described elsewhere, the page appears to show that you can either register your kit car as a new vehicle, with no more then 1 refurbed item, or if its built from lots of refurbished items then you get a Q plate.

Did the same page not use to say you can also get an age related plate with the donor car V5?

I wonder if the rules have changed, does anyone have any knowledge about this?

[Edited on 27/1/12 by GRRR]

loggyboy

posted on 27/1/12 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Direct.gov site is one of the worst put together sites ever. its throw a six to start links get worse everytime they change them.

[Edited on 27/1/12 by loggyboy]

russbost

posted on 27/1/12 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Well I'm just putting in for an age related now so will let you know in about a month, but I don't believe there has been any change. Just spent about half an hour going round in circles b4 I finally got to speak to a person to order a V55/5 to register, because YOU CAN'T DOWNLOAD IT!!!!!!!
They didn't even know what a v627/1 was, but fortunately you CAN download that!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
stevegough

posted on 27/1/12 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
The link you posted originally is referring to kits built with all-new (one can be reconditioned) parts. Very few of us actually do this. I hunted around their web site for 5 minutes before I found what you were looking for (mainly because I know the DVLA call our kit cars 'Kit Conversions'........and HE RE you go.

Hope this helps, Steve.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

GRRR

posted on 27/1/12 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Ahhh I see, cheers that makes sense.

Couple of questions though, for an age related plate, if you bought a new kit the '2 major components' could that be engine and gearbox? or would it have to be engine, gearbox and steering column to be on the safe side.

To get an age related plate, do you hand the dvla the Certificate of Destruction if you've already scrapped the shell, or do you have to hang on to the V5?

stevegough

posted on 27/1/12 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GRRR
Ahhh I see, cheers that makes sense.

Couple of questions though, for an age related plate, if you bought a new kit the '2 major components' could that be engine and gearbox? or would it have to be engine, gearbox and steering column to be on the safe side.

To get an age related plate, do you hand the dvla the Certificate of Destruction if you've already scrapped the shell, or do you have to hang on to the V5?

The age related plate depends on you proving to the DVLA ( NOT VOSA - who only carry out the IVA ) the origin of all the major parts - that is the Engine, Transmission, Axles, Steering, and Chassis.

To this end, you need to provide reciepts for all the above - I gave them the hand-written reciept for the donor car which also included the chassis as I bought the unstarted kit and donor sierra together from ebay. This covered the gearbox, differential, rear driveshafts, front axles and steering column. As I put a vauxhall redtop in, I also had a photocopy V5 of the Calibra (engine donor) as well as the ebay reciept for the engine.

As far as the V5 for the Donor is concerned, you are best SORN - ing the Donor (you may need to renew the SORN - it only lasts , if you scrap it, don't tell DVLA that until you register the kitcar. Remove the ID plates and the registration plates from the donor and simply weigh in the metal.

Luego Locost C20XE.

Neville Jones

posted on 28/1/12 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
I posted somewhere here on the subject of age related plates recently.

DVLA view is that if the donor car is scrapped and a Certificate of Destruction is issued, the car no longer exists, so it cannot be a donor, even if you have the V5.

To be certain of an age related plate, SORN the donor, and scrap it AFTER the kit is registered.

Cheers,
Nev.

Slimy38

posted on 15/2/12 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Apologies for jumping in mid-conversation, but I was wondering if anyone could clarify a point on this subject. When I am building my car, I am planning on doing the whole SORN thing and only scrapping the car once it's complete, so I can get the age related plate.

I was planning on following stevegough's advice about keeping the plates and weighing in the metal (mainly to keep the missus happy and not have half a car on the drive for the two years or so I plan on taking to build the car), but this article had me worried;

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/ChangesToYourRegistrationCertificate/DG_4022057

It refers to the fact that a car must be scrapped at an authorised treatment facility, and that in return they will give you a certificate of destruction. That will act as proof that it has been scrapped.

However, if you're only taking the vehicle ID plates having weighed in most of the car, surely they won't provide a certificate of destruction as they're not the people who destroyed the car?

Confused but excited.

posted on 15/2/12 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
^ Now that's an interesting question!

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

loggyboy

posted on 15/2/12 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Dont worry, you can just inform the DVLA by sending the V5 to them with a covering letter saying the car was used as donor for a kitcar and therefore unable to be taken to a ATF.
You dont even have to give them that much detail, I scrapped a Nova years ago, a yard collected shell but never asked for the v5, I eventually just told the DVLA with a simple confirmation letter that I'd scrapped the car and left it at that. Got a letter a few weeks later thanking me and confirming I had no more resposibilities.

[Edited on 15/2/12 by loggyboy]

40inches

posted on 15/2/12 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Apologies for jumping in mid-conversation, but I was wondering if anyone could clarify a point on this subject. When I am building my car, I am planning on doing the whole SORN thing and only scrapping the car once it's complete, so I can get the age related plate.

I was planning on following stevegough's advice about keeping the plates and weighing in the metal (mainly to keep the missus happy and not have half a car on the drive for the two years or so I plan on taking to build the car), but this article had me worried;

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/ChangesToYourRegistrationCertificate/DG_4022057

It refers to the fact that a car must be scrapped at an authorised treatment facility, and that in return they will give you a certificate of destruction. That will act as proof that it has been scrapped.

However, if you're only taking the vehicle ID plates having weighed in most of the car, surely they won't provide a certificate of destruction as they're not the people who destroyed the car?

Quote from your link:
"If you have broken up the vehicle yourself, you must either continue to tax it or tell the DVLA that you are keeping it off the public road. You can do this by making a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification). You will need to make a SORN every year until you have taken it to an ATF, or told DVLA that you longer have it.

So, if you take of the plates and scrap it,as long as you keep Sorning the bits you have left, you tell them you no longer have it
when you have don't need it. Right??? OR you keep insuring and taxing a car that no longer exists

stevegough

posted on 15/2/12 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
No, my gut feeling is that if you do as I suggest, SORN the donor, weigh in the scrap metal, get proof that you weighed it in without ID - then explain the situation to the DVLA as you register your kit, you haven't tried to dump the car - you have the reciept for the metal, after all - you will have complied with the system. The link you are referring to is aimed at the thousands of cars which are left at the side of the road, dumped in quarries or ditches etc. - Ours is a special case, and the above is exactly what I did just a year ago - in fact, this is the recieipt I gave to the DVLA (under the Locostbuilders Logo it says "scrap car to kit car) - the scrappers even put the reg on, but as they didn't get the V5 they couldn't scrap it officially.

Hope this is of some help towards answering your question.

[Edited on 15/2/12 by stevegough]

[Edited on 15/2/12 by stevegough]

Luego Locost C20XE.

40inches

posted on 15/2/12 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
No, my gut feeling is that if you do as I suggest, SORN the donor, weigh in the scrap metal, get proof that you weighed it in without ID - then explain the situation to the DVLA as you register your kit, you haven't tried to dump the car - you have the reciept for the metal, after all - you will have complied with the system. The link you are referring to is aimed at the thousands of cars which are left at the side of the road, dumped in quarries or ditches etc. - Ours is a special case, and the above is exactly what I did just a year ago - in fact, this is the recieipt I gave to the DVLA (under the Locostbuilders Logo it says "scrap car to kit car) - the scrappers even put the reg on, but as they didn't get the V5 they couldn't scrap it officially.

Hope this is of some help towards answering your question.

Ah! but do you have to be a Nuclear Scientist to understand it?

Slimy38

posted on 15/2/12 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, it sounds like the DVLA aren't necessarily the bunch of mindless drones that I expected them to be. If they're open to a plain English explanation along with a reasonable level of documentation then it's all good.
Dave Bailey

posted on 15/2/12 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Now here is a good one...

Suppose you have a V5 not scrapped detailing a Sierra Diesel... It had an engine change and the V5 now reflects a 2003 Zetec petrol engine... You then use these parts to build the kitcar....

What emission rules would you have to comply with and would you get an age related plate?

Zetec Engine - Type 9 Gearbox - LSD

Dave B

[Edited on 15/2/12 by Dave Bailey]

skov

posted on 15/2/12 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bailey

Suppose you have a V5 not scrapped detailing a Sierra Diesel... It had an engine change and the V5 now reflects a 2003 Zetec petrol engine... You then use these parts to build the kitcar....

What emission rules would you have to comply with and would you get an age related plate?

IVA emissions are based on engine age, not donor age, so you'd need a CAT test.

Not sure about the age related plate though, I think you'd get away with it.

[Edited on 15/2/12 by skov]

[Edited on 15/2/12 by skov]

stevegough

posted on 16/2/12 at 05:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bailey

Dave B

Age related plate is dependant on you proving origins - as I said earlier in this thread - you should still get a plate based on the Sierra's.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches

No, but it helps, - especially as I have been one THREE times as long as you have been building your kit, 40 inches!

Luego Locost C20XE.

40inches

posted on 16/2/12 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches

No, but it helps, - especially as I have been one THREE times as long as you have been building your kit, 40 inches!

I have been many things over the years, but never a scientist, of any description, for any length of time and if I don't get
the bl**dy kit finished soon I probably won't be able to get in the thing, or more importantly, get out of it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.