Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Beware: Ben Owen selling parts
eddie99

posted on 29/1/12 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Beware: Ben Owen selling parts

Hi Guys,

Just thought i'd let you know to beware of this person called Ben Owen.

I paid him roughly £600 for a Hans Device and a helmet, to be told 3 weeks later they were no longer for sale. He then went quiet and gave numerous sob stories. I was lucky and got back everything bar £30 about 6 weeks later But others have been less lucky.

This is a plead for help from a number of people.

It has come to our attention that over the past month or so at least one FRBARC team, ourselves, a Sports 2000 team and two privateers have bought parts and equipment off of Ben Owen for amounts ranging from £200 to over £2000. Someone im in contact with has bought over £1200 of wishbones from him. All of the people we have been in contact with sent him the money via online banking/CHAPS/BACKS.

The common theme is that he takes peoples money, becomes hard to get hold of on phone/email, gives a story about being ill, then puts you off to hide. Two people we have managed to get their money back from him to the tone of £400 - the rest have been less lucky.

Please DO NOT EMPLOY or BUY ANYTHING off of him! He is selling non-existent parts and trying to pull some sort of fraud scam.

[Edited on 29/1/12 by eddie99]

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
T66

posted on 29/1/12 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Is he in Wales, with something to do with Caterhams ?

eddie99

posted on 29/1/12 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Skegness is where we believe he is from... And he told me he was going to race a caterham but sponsorship had fell through but others have been told other things.
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Ninehigh

posted on 29/1/12 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Another name I've heard before...

T66

posted on 29/1/12 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Doubting myself now, but that name rings a bell

Infact so does the Caterham sponsorship theme too..

[Edited on 29/1/12 by T66]

franky

posted on 29/1/12 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
He doesn't make gt40 replica's does he, or GTS parts

Only kidding!

[Edited on 30/1/12 by franky]

locogeoff

posted on 30/1/12 at 12:43 AM Reply With Quote
are you sure his name is not Ben Dower!

I'll get my coat...

scootz

posted on 30/1/12 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66
Is he in Wales, with something to do with Caterhams ?

I know who you're thinking of Ivo!

It's Evolution Baby!

Mr C

posted on 30/1/12 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
He doesn't make gt40 replica's does he, or GTS parts

+1 (not kidding), you now know how it feels to be ripped off and I hope appreciate now, how customers of GTS feel, perhaps you may consider this experience when you use your misplaced judgement to stick up for Darren George.

Only kidding!

[Edited on 30/1/12 by franky]

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

designer

posted on 30/1/12 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
My question is - Who is Ben Owen?

How did you find this bloke, and why are people throwing money at him?

Personally, never heard of him.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eddie99

posted on 30/1/12 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
He has had bits for sale on the web and I had a wanted add on pistonheads to which he contacted me about
bowood14

posted on 30/1/12 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Suprised you put this post up after your comments of support for GTS on a previous thread

[Edited on 30/1/12 by bowood14]

eddie99

posted on 30/1/12 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Why??

This guy is selling non existant parts and I'm just trying to stop any of you make the same mistake

I only backed gts up when they are not in the wrong, there are plenty of cases where I have helped people get parts because gts have messed up

In the future I'll know not to let others know and let them fall into the same trap!

mad-butcher

posted on 30/1/12 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Well I'm very sad to have to say this, but I'm in total agreement with Boxwood14 and Mr C's comments

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 30/1/12 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Hey! Hang on guys. Eddie is simply passing on info to stop others from making the same mistake he did, to a community of people who would be likely to buy from this guy.

Re GTS, I'm pretty sure Eddie has been instrumental in either getting people parts they hadn't received from Darren or getting them money back, which he has done off his own back & in his own time for no payment - did any of the people he helped out bung him a drink .........................???

Eddie may have (misguidedly in my opinion!) stuck up for Darren/GTS, but he has also tried to help people out & is only trying to help others here. TTBOMK I don't believe Darren has deliberately committed fraud as this guy appears to be doing, he just doesn't seem to be able to run a business competently which is a very different issue.

A case of don't shoot the messenger!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Strontium Dog

posted on 30/1/12 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
nt issue.

Agreed!

I have had loads of personal issues lately as some of you know leading me to drop the ball and mess a few people around. It happens. Luckily the people on here I have been involved with have shown much patience and understanding. Sounds to me from previous threads that Eddie has only tried to help people when things have gone TU and it's not like he's doing it for personal gain. Or have I missed something?!

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x319/zephyr2000/General%20forum%20uploads/?action=view¤t=3DEngine.mp4

RichardK

posted on 30/1/12 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Hey! Hang on guys. Eddie is simply passing on info to stop others from making the same mistake he did, to a community of people who would be likely to buy from this guy.

Re GTS, I'm pretty sure Eddie has been instrumental in either getting people parts they hadn't received from Darren or getting them money back, which he has done off his own back & in his own time for no payment - did any of the people he helped out bung him a drink .........................???

Eddie may have (misguidedly in my opinion!) stuck up for Darren/GTS, but he has also tried to help people out & is only trying to help others here. TTBOMK I don't believe Darren has deliberately committed fraud as this guy appears to be doing, he just doesn't seem to be able to run a business competently which is a very different issue.

+1

Play nice boys

Love

Rich

xx

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

designer

posted on 30/1/12 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I don't believe Darren has deliberately committed fraud

If you keep money and not deliver goods you have done it, deliberate or not!

jeffw

posted on 30/1/12 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
I pretty sure that Darren has done exactly that on more than one occasion and that is to my personal knowledge. I'm sure Eddie (and Flak) have done the best by people on here getting stuff out of Mr George (and they should be thanked for that) but I don't see much difference between Ben Owen of this thread and Mr George.

Mr C

posted on 30/1/12 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
(Response to U2U from Eddie99)

Eddie, by the very fact that you are getting involved with someone who has no business scruples, you are condoning their approach to fleecing people with poor services and or parts. In other words you accepting of and allowing this behaviour, that is considered morally and legally wrong and offensive to continue.

By sticking up for GTS you are by default approving and sanctioning GTS along with the poor work ethic associated to Darren George and GTS.

I can't tell you what approach you should take with this, that's down to you and the choices you make at the end of the day. I personally would immediately disassociate myself from anything like this and let them be consumed in their own fire and smoke.

Mike

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

eddie99

posted on 30/1/12 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
How am i condoning it?

If because i help people get their parts i am involved, then i will immediately stop helping those people because your unhappy with it?

[Edited on 30/1/12 by eddie99]

russbost

posted on 30/1/12 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
quote:

I don't believe Darren has deliberately committed fraud

If you keep money and not deliver goods you have done it, deliberate or not!

I stand by my statement - I don't BELIEVE he has DELIBERATELY committed fraud - I didn't say he HASN'T committed fraud, he may well have done so for all I know, but since I've never had any personal dealings with him & have no direct knowledge of such, I'm certainly not about to suggest that he has done so on a public forum.

My point was that I believe Eddie has helped others on the forum get their parts, I don't believe Eddie has ever done anything to offer the services of GTS/Darren to anyone & that he is suggesting no one parts with money to this Ben bloke - personally I'd rather know this guy is out there doing his dodgy deals, so thanx to Eddie for letting us know.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

gavin174

posted on 30/1/12 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
bloody hell good timing ED.......

I was just about to order a new tea pot

thanks for the warning!!!!

http://benowenpottery.com/image-galleries/items-for-sale.html

[Edited on 30/1/12 by gavin174]

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

designer

posted on 30/1/12 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
I am not condeming or condoning, but fraud is fraud, even when it happens 'due to circumstaces' and must be put right at the earliest opportunity.
russbost

posted on 30/1/12 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
I am not condeming or condoning, but fraud is fraud, even when it happens 'due to circumstaces' and must be put right at the earliest opportunity.

Ahh! Now that I most certainly wholeheartedly agree with - personally I see fraud simply as theft, it's just another word for the same thing & the perpetrators should be treated accordingly. For a first offence I think several hours in the stocks in the town square on a Saturday with all the locals chucking rotten fruit at them, I doubt they'd be in a hurry to offend, but just in case, after 3 strikes I would suggest progressive removal of body parts!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.