Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Busa
stig mills

posted on 6/2/12 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Busa

Hi, I am going to start a BEC build in the next few days, I was keen on Busaing it. Mevabusa middy perhaps!
It will weigh around 400kgs. So I was wondering what sort of performance figures I could expect.
Any comparisons of similar or higher weight cars with a non turbo busa engine in would be great.
0-60?
Any downsides?
Ratios?
Westgarage chain diff with reverse opinions?
Thank you very much in anticipation, Stuart

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 6/2/12 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
I'd expext 400kg with a busa is going to be sub 4 secs
If it going commercial though why not steer away from the busa to someting more affordable the times on an R1 at 400kg ar not going to be that differnt?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 9/2/12 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
downsides - parts costs - real pricey
carnymouse

posted on 9/2/12 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
BUSA ENGINE IS THE WAY TO GO. WITH A BIT OF SHOPPING AROUND YOU CAN BUY A COMPLEAT BIKE FOR AROUND £1,600 STRIP OFF WHAT YOU DONT NEED AND STICK ON EBAY YOU CAN END UP WITH ENGINE ECU ETC FOR AROUND £800

carnymouse

BobM

posted on 10/2/12 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
Why do you want a Busa Stig? Most of the RGB guys are getting as much power out of 2007/2008 litre superbike engines - cheaper and lighter. Also all running billet wet sump which saves weight and cost over a dry sump.

I switched from a Fury with a Busa engine to a middy BDN with a ZX10 and noticed no loss of drivability. On the rolling road the ZX10 was 79 ft-lbs versus the busa's 90.

Not very Locost but very BEC

Andy North

posted on 12/2/12 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
I am on my third mid engine busa. You will struggle to get below 400kg so yo may well be better off going the one litre route as the engines are much lighter.

I was told the speads with a K8 is 411kg, but it is unlikely.

Siduna

posted on 13/2/12 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
BEC Middy

Hi all!
Newbie here. I'm just about to start building a middy with a Busa engine (the engine is on it's way home as I'm writing this). Being the first build of this type all advice is welcome!

Plan is to design a sprocket gear transmission (instead of chain drive) and build a mechanical reverse gear in the centre line of the "middle" gear (between the gear wheel on the outgoing shaft from the engine and the gear on the Torsen diff (yes, intention is to obtain a Torsen LSD). Similar design has been made before (without reverse gear) :

http://www.ret-monitor.com/articles/1325/more-on-bike-engined-cars/

Two gear wheels will be mounted where the middle gear is in the lower most picture. Two wheels, one into the reverse gear box and one going out. One solid axle inside at "tube axle" (not being English, hence the poor choise of words). This will enable me to place the diff more in the centre of the car. Does anyone understand what I'm writing?

Should anyone understand what I'm writing and have any experience in "gear wheel transmissions" I'll be happy for any advice in this matter!

Regards,

stig mills

posted on 5/3/12 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks for the help. Sorry for the late reply. I have done R1 stuff b4, great engines but fancied a Busa as everyone raves about them.
Possibly not the best value but the parts I sold off from the bike helped enormously. I have completed the fabrication work now so I will show it at Stoneleigh. Looking forward to giving it a blast.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.