Poll: one all rounder or a boring car and a toy? [View Results]
One all rounder.
two (Or more) cars, with more specific jobs.

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: one all rounder or a boring car and a toy?
morcus

posted on 24/2/12 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
one all rounder or a boring car and a toy?

Which would you rather have and why?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

big_wasa

posted on 24/2/12 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
If I had the space I would have them lined up
HowardB

posted on 24/2/12 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
used to have an all-rounder WRX wagon, quick, fun, great tow car - 4WD, and unstoppable in the snow.

Now I have a passat wagon,TDi, But it does do 40+mpg, and is huge inside,... and the Fury oh yes

so at least there is a choice,...

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

shindha

posted on 24/2/12 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Is this like a fantasy choice if so the boring car would be a BMW 330D coupe it's economical and a good drive, as the toy it would have to be a Nissan GTR an every day super car.
cliftyhanger

posted on 24/2/12 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
two cars. That way any old boring but reliable car for the chores, and when you want fun, swap and enjoy.
If you have one car, it takes the fun away. Having been in a huge variety of quick and "fun" machinery, none would keep the fun factor long. Some I tired of quickly, compared to a small light proper sports car, they are heavy and nowhere near as involving. GTR being one case (superb car, but soooo heavy and it fiddles with itself when you are driving.)

daniel mason

posted on 24/2/12 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
you wouldnt think a gtr was boring if you'd been in or driven one. i almost crapped myself when i went out in one of the new 500+ bhp ones. id have one, if funds permitted

Stott

posted on 24/2/12 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
The biggest problem is performance and practicality don't mix, no matter what anyone says.

To get a truly sharp drive you need something that becomes impractical for everyday use.

You NEED 2 cars! Lol

It's great having a quick car that does 5mpg flat out and costs £700 for a set of tyres, it's not great however, having to fuel it up every day to take it to work.

I very nearly bought a focus rs 2 in Oct, then the thought of the insurance (dearer than my 2 cars combined), the £400+ tax, £600 for 4 tyres, 25mpg every single day etc etc etc, I thought sod that, so I bought the car in my avatar and kept the diesel fabia for day to day, and saved money!

Ninehigh

posted on 24/2/12 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
I take it this is "money not an issue"?

Because really it's budget dependant, and circumstances.. If I had no family I'd have an MX5 or MR2 or similar as my daily hack.. But since I need to fit 5 in at times... I guess an Evo would be a good one to have

Stott

posted on 24/2/12 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
you wouldnt think a gtr was boring if you'd been in or driven one. i almost crapped myself when i went out in one of the new 500+ bhp ones. id have one, if funds permitted

Your car must be as quick as a gtr!

At castle Combe 2 up in my car we passed Imran Chowdhurys 650+bhp White gtr going up the straight, it's a lot of power but it also weighs nearly 2 tonne!

TAZZMAXX

posted on 24/2/12 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shindha as the toy it would have to be a Nissan GTR an every day super car.

This is exactly what is in my garage as my weekend bonkers motor. In the week and when it's crappy weather I have a Peugeot 307 SW diesel. One extreme to the other but the GTR is mental.

cliftyhanger

posted on 24/2/12 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

The one I went out in was about a year old. Fast, yes, handled very well too, as expected. Exciting? Didn't float my boat...
It isn't about power or ultimate speed, more about the feel. I guess it is like comparing a veyron with an F1 car. Veyron faster etc, but nowhere near the experience (no, not driven either, but the F1 would be my choice out of the two )

daniel mason

posted on 24/2/12 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
the gtr was rthe second fastes car top gear ever tested.it was way faster than an r500 so my car wouldnt come close. i have honestly never been in a car anything like as fast and although some people have quick kit cars,(myself included) they dont go,grip,brake or corner like a gtr. its a true masterpiece of engineering and shows what can be acheived!
not quite sure how you managed to pass the gtr on track?

ReMan

posted on 24/2/12 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
I'm voting more than 1.
As much as i begrudge my contribution to th goverments coffers for it, we've now got a low budget mixz of 4 between the two of us
Sportyish little Yaris hatch for the mrs commute a local runs
Speedy enough Saab turbo for my commute plus longer trips
The MK blade for all out rapid fun
The 7 seater Terrano for weekend country fun, and luxury dog transport

About £10k the lot!

Sorry but GTRs are way out of my league

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

daniel mason

posted on 24/2/12 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
a gtr exhaust is way out of my league! lol

mark chandler

posted on 24/2/12 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Cheap diesel runabout estate with tow bar capable of pulling 1000kg trailer

Something nice to own that will not devalue and you will enjoy, make sure it qualifies for classic insurance, pre emission road tax.

Keep little car for the track on top of a trailer

Job done

[Edited on 25/2/12 by mark chandler]

Stott

posted on 24/2/12 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
the gtr was rthe second fastes car top gear ever tested.it was way faster than an r500 so my car wouldnt come close. i have honestly never been in a car anything like as fast and although some people have quick kit cars,(myself included) they dont go,grip,brake or corner like a gtr. its a true masterpiece of engineering and shows what can be acheived!
not quite sure how you managed to pass the gtr on track?

A few things passed it, 160 bhp in 448kg = 357 bhp/tonne

gtr 650 bhp in 1800 kg = 361bhp/tonne

Your car must be kicking on for 350 a tonne with an s2000 in it surely?

Plus theres no flatshifter in a gtr and despite the clever electronics and wide tyres it can't corner as fast as a lot of our cars, you can't rewrite the laws of physics, it's still a big boat.

Top gear tested it and it was quick around their track, but they also got away from it in a focus rs on a mountain pass so it's all relative.

The GTR that fella brought to the stroke day was really fast, but there were faster things therre that cost a quarter of the price, on cheaper tyres and half the fuel. That's my point here, that to have an everyday car like that is not feasible for the masses.

Stott

D Beddows

posted on 24/2/12 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Boringish car for going to work, shopping, family days out and a fun car for when there's only you (or maybe two......possibly....) There realy isn't a car in existance that can be as good at the two jobs as two seperate cars designed for each job.

Your opinion on this will however depend on age and family commitments I personaly don't think a GTR would make a good family car but I'm starting to get on a bit!

daniel mason

posted on 24/2/12 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
i know the gtr i not an everyday car for the masses but come on. you cant tell me the mev laps quicker than a 500bhp/ton caterham r500? and the gtr is way faster than that. you cant just say 'its got more bhp/ton so its faster'. i think the same as you. a boring car and a toy. but the gtr will be on a par with a v8 atom with twice the bhp/ton. look how fast it can lap the ring.its on another level to a kit. but comes at a cost
and stick 2x80kg drivers into a 450kg car and your up at 610kgs with 160 h/p, probably 130 at the wheels.
i think you were obviously a much better driver than the guy in the gtr.

[Edited on 24/2/12 by daniel mason]

TAZZMAXX

posted on 24/2/12 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stott

Plus theres no flatshifter in a gtr and despite the clever electronics and wide tyres it can't corner as fast as a lot of our cars, you can't rewrite the laws of physics, it's still a big boat.

In manual mode, the BW GR6 transmission that is in the GTR can shift in 200 milliseconds which I would say is fairly quick. If you start throwing the car through corners really hard, your neck will start to hurt after a while. Hey, I'm not here to argue but it's a car that does things it shouldn't.

[Edited on 24/2/12 by TAZZMAXX]

Stott

posted on 24/2/12 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
I wasn't driving to be fair, it was the builder who admittedly is none too shabby behind the wheel, but the guy who brought the gtr was balls out fair play. He must have had deep pockets, all credit to him, he wasn't scared to use it.

It's ok saying that the r500 laps the ring in xxx and the gtr in xxx but that's where the big boys with more power and in the gtrs case, aero, come into their own. Where they can strech their legs and make use of the speeds they can achieve because on a long straight the fact they are doing 40mph more at the end of it makes a massive difference to the times.

It's an incredible car, I love them, I even, sadly enough, own the dvd of the development of the skyline gtr so I'm no hater, but bring one to a typical British track and you will find a lot of the kit boys are as quick and even quicker than it.

The r500 is immense, it killed the gtr around the top gear track, it's a league up again. However the atom also beat the gtr around there and we can outdrag a supercharged atom, just, due to the gearchange, so my point holds true.

Oh and it's not a MEV!

ATB
Stott

Stott

posted on 24/2/12 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TAZZMAXX
quote:
Originally posted by Stott

In manual mode, the BW GR6 transmission that is in the GTR can shift in 200 milliseconds which I would say is fairly quick. If you start throwing the car through corners really hard, your neck will start to hurt after a while. Hey, I'm not here to argue but it's a car that does things it shouldn't.

[Edited on 24/2/12 by TAZZMAXX]

True ^^^^ It's AMAZING!!! See my post above, I love em, I'm just saying that's all!!!

I've come home with a sore neck on a few occasions especially off slicks

200ms? pah I bet a flatshift is quicker, the kill time is only 60ms!, how fast can you yank a stick? lol

TAZZMAXX

posted on 24/2/12 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
Stott, even on the gtr forum we have lots of falling out as the new breed of gtr owners are a lot of ex Audi and BMW owning arses who believe the R35 is the be all and end all but it stands to sense that it can't beat everything. I like it for what it is but am still pushing forward with a Pinto engined go-kart, just for the fun of it. I have another car planned for when the Haynes car is complete and will hopefully be a stupid big engine in a small car. I love the GTR as it is so extreme and I know my talent will always be way exceeded by the GTR's capabilities. Having said that I enjoy driving my 307 as you can really push it to the limits and not be too far out of what is legal. I'm certainly no fanboy and would like to think that I'm going to get to drive in as many different cars as possible before I go in the box.
Stott

posted on 24/2/12 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
True ^^^

I like that your an owner who still has perspective, as you no doubt appreciate, a lot of owners don't.

Fair play to you, it's a total beast of a motor, and I'd love a go in one. I wasn't hating on the gtr in any way as I'm sure you'll appreciate by my previous posts, just as they say "every dog has it's day", and in certain circumstances a lot of kits are quicker, at the ring, or silverstone for that matter, it would be a total trouncing by the nissan.

If you ever see me at an event driving my 'box of exhaust bends' then I'll take you out in it in return for a pass ride in your gtr, deal?

TAZZMAXX

posted on 24/2/12 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StottIf you ever see me at an event driving my 'box of exhaust bends' then I'll take you out in it in return for a pass ride in your gtr, deal?

It's a deal mate.

gazza285

posted on 24/2/12 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
Two cars at the minute, V70 T5 for our lass, and my 14 year old Berlingo. I had a sore neck after a drive once, someone ran into the back of the van (but didn't smash my back doors in, thank you).

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.