86-91 Mazda RX-7
79-85 Datsun 240z
91-96 Honda Prelude
83-88 Nissan 300zx
91-03 Mazda MX-5

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Poll - First time project choice......
beagley

posted on 28/2/12 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Poll - First time project choice......

Trying to decide on a first car project. Been a petrol head for a while now and have been lurking here and other forums for a few years now and finally feel competent enough to start a project. Ultimately I want to do a locost, but I feel that there are a lot of skills I need to perfect before I try something of that level. With that said I would like to find a "fun" car to work on. Preferably working when I buy it and slowly/methodically upgrade and replace parts to continue my education. Here are my choices.....

• 86-91 Mazda RX-7 - My reasons for this are because it is different. I love rotaries and I know that they are finicky engines, but they were light, cheap, and great little cars. Plus there is a race shop about 2 km from my house to help out as well as www.rx7club.com
  • 79-85 Datsun 240z - Gorgeous car. Should be able to find more people willing to work on it because its not a rotary, but theres the chance that it will be 30 years old.... so.....
  • 91-96 Honda Prelude - Cheap and plentiful, but the only problem I see is finding one that hasn't been riced out a'la Fast and Furious
  • 83-88 Nissan 300zx - More expensive than the others, but still a cool car to work on (I think)
  • 91-03 Mazda MX-5 - Again, plenty of cheap cars to start from, tons of help, tons of parts, previously mentioned mazda race shop down the road and MUCH easier to find

Poll away!!

I'm not scared!!! I'm just marking my territory.

Snuggs

posted on 28/2/12 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
None of the above but voted "79-85 Datsun 240z" so I can see how others are voting.

My choice would be a nice TR6 convertible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/snuggstcb
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
I doubt therefore I may be.
Luposlipophobia : Fear of being chased by wolves around a freshly waxed kitchen floor, while wearing only socks on your feet.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
http://www.venganza.org
http://www.jesusandmo.net/
http://www.snuggs.co.uk

dhutch

posted on 28/2/12 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
I voted for the Datsun, but it really depends on what you want it for. I was going to get an MX5 before I decided tyo go down the 7-type and latterly on buying an old westfeild rather than building something like a mk indy or mnr.

Daniel

mark chandler

posted on 28/2/12 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
MX5, its a very simple well thought out car under the skin, get a MK1, much nicer IMHO
big_wasa

posted on 28/2/12 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Go for the locost, it will teach you loads.
franky

posted on 28/2/12 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Enough said

Apart from the fact a 240z is 69-73 so 40 years old

[Edited on 28/2/12 by franky]

beagley

posted on 28/2/12 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky[Edited on 28/2/12 by franky]

Funny, I saw one of these coming back from lunch today...... think its a sign? If anything it seems there is a strong pull toward the MX-5 and with good reason.

beagley

posted on 28/2/12 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Go for the locost, it will teach you loads.

That might be an option...... if I had the space to do it and the extra $$$ to buy the "rest" of the tools I would need. I have some spare time and money, just nowhere to build. SWMBO's house burned to the ground when she was in high school, literally lost everything, so she is adamant that I have a shop that won't catch the house on fire (read detached). REALLY hard to argue against that.

My fear with the locost is that it is such a large scale, long term project that I may putter out since I've never done something of that magnitude. Welding, electrics, scratch suspension setup...... My thought was to start with something like whats listed in the above poll to essentially get my feet wet before jumping in head first. That way if it turns out that I don't really want to build a car from scratch/kit I can just dump the cheap car and move on.

Am I over-thinking this?

beagley

posted on 28/2/12 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
All you people voting for the Datsun......

This is what I'm contemplating.

franky

posted on 28/2/12 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
so you're looking at a 280z/zx not a 240z?
beagley

posted on 28/2/12 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
so you're looking at a 280z/zx not a 240z?

I guess I did put "240" in the poll...... the Datsun was a late comer as I was thinking about different project cars. Wanted something small and fun to drive.

theduck

posted on 28/2/12 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Buy an unfinished kit like I did that's practically complete parts wise and with fiddly bits done. I picked mine up for a song! You will need to be careful what you buy if you intend to iva but if you buy a kit still being made that won't be an issue.

To give you an idea on costs my car will be purchased and completed for under £2k without an iva. Would need another £500ish spending to get through iva plus test fee.

franky

posted on 28/2/12 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
mx5 will be a popular choice.

A 240z is the same weight with more power, awesome residuals(going up in value) and IMO about 1000000 times better looking. Plenty of scope for tinkering too.

Nickp

posted on 28/2/12 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Just voted for the RX7. Had an FC TurboII. Great car, would still have it now if it wasn't so rotten
steve m

posted on 28/2/12 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
The 280z is nothing like a 240z, and imho the 280z is an ugly americanised monster, the 240, as i voted, is still a beutifull piece of artwork
Fred W B

posted on 28/2/12 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Although you haven't got it in your poll, if you ultimate goal is to scratch build a locost, I would strongly favor buying a complete 7 to tidy up, rebuild or modify.

Why learn on something that is different to what you want to do?. Also, and no disrespect, if your project goes wrong or never gets finished you will have reduced the value of one of the "classics" you mention, while a 7 will always be worth at least the sum of its parts.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Marcus

posted on 28/2/12 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Wot Steve said

But I'd go for the MX5, for the simple reason that you won't need to find a donor when you finally come to build the Locost.
Use the Haynes plans and fit all the MX5 bits in it. In the meantime learn about rear wheel drive with the 5.

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Volvorsport

posted on 28/2/12 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
lots of volvos over there too.....

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

steve m

posted on 28/2/12 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
That need crushing !
ReMan

posted on 28/2/12 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snuggs
None of the above but voted "79-85 Datsun 240z" so I can see how others are voting.

You could always click "View Results"

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Ninehigh

posted on 28/2/12 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
I voted MX5 because it'll be easiest to do logistically, I mean no scouring for parts or the car itself.

However if you're just using it to learn I'd pick up anything at a reasonable price. I still have an eye on a early 70's Morris round the corner from me.

beagley

posted on 28/2/12 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
I voted MX5 because it'll be easiest to do logistically, I mean no scouring for parts or the car itself.

However if you're just using it to learn I'd pick up anything at a reasonable price. I still have an eye on a early 70's Morris round the corner from me.

It appears that the MX-5 makes the most "logical" sense. They aren't too bad cost wise around my area, found a few I'm interested in for around 1300 gbp so thats not too bad. Maybe SWMBO won't object to such a "cute" car either..... now..... to get her interested in driving it fast.

Thanks for the advice all, much appreciated.

Andy

Steve Hignett

posted on 28/2/12 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
I'm about to Vote RX7, because I've always adored them - there's also a race workshop 1 mile away from where I live too!

However, my 2nd choice would be very close to the RX7 and that's to get an MX5 and then turbo it... (search for my recent post )

ETA - PS - I def would NOT do the Datsun, I had to work on one for virtually of the summer of 1992 as an apprentice, and it was a piece of turd, and then we had to look at two other "good examples" to source bits from and they were absolute dog's too!

[Edited on 28/2/12 by Steve Hignett]

beagley

posted on 28/2/12 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
I'm about to Vote RX7, because I've always adored them - there's also a race workshop 1 mile away from where I live too!

However, my 2nd choice would be very close to the RX7 and that's to get an MX5 and then turbo it... (search for my recent post )

ETA - PS - I def would NOT do the Datsun, I had to work on one for virtually of the summer of 1992 as an apprentice, and it was a piece of turd, and then we had to look at two other "good examples" to source bits from and they were absolute dog's too!

There's no question forced induction is in my future. I read Corky Bell's book Supercharged! and have almost re-read it again just looking back through it. Loved that book, very informative. Now I have to read his Turbocharged! book to decide on the best path for me to go.

franky

posted on 28/2/12 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett

You forget that he lives in the states, plenty of dry state/rust free cars there

Just like rusty mx5's here!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.