Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2004 MK Indy Busa Project
yellowcab

posted on 2/3/12 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
2004 MK Indy Busa Project

Hi guys,

Not really a 'build' thread as such, as it's already built - but I'll certainly been changing a few bits & bobs on the car as time goes on, in between being on track, which is 99% of the reason I've bought it.

Throwing money at it isn't something I'm interested in, my mindset is very much - get it on track, like NOW. Avid track day & sprint goer, I'm interested in nothing that doesn't make me go quicker, smoother etc.

My YouTube channel is (cringes at the username) www.youtube.com/trackdaynova

For now, here is the first photo of her at home, but being a photographer - they'll be plenty more.

Yes the heavy 15s will go along with the Kuhmo Ecstas, but got some reading up to do on whether to drop to 13s or not, as the FD is already at 3.14, so wouldn't want to limit my top speed much more...

Thanks for reading

Olz

danny keenan

posted on 2/3/12 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
hi olz

please join our MK Owners page on facebook.i update this all the time with our new products and there are some real nice cars on there.

check out our new rear diffuser on there

any help you need with your car just ask me.

thanks danny mk sportscars

yellowcab

posted on 2/3/12 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hiya Danny,

Thanks for the warm welcome - I'll nip over to Facebook now to click Like have a read...

Got so many questions to ask, but would sooner search and read forums, rather than doing the annoying newbie thing of asking questions that have been covered over and over again )

Take care

Olz

afj

posted on 2/3/12 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
dropping to 13s wont decrease your top speed as long as your on 205/60 at the rear

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

yellowcab

posted on 2/3/12 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Awesome, Thanks... so the rolling radius on my current 205/50/15's is the exact same as a 205/60/13... in which case... what to buy...

I'm unfamiliar with even the PCD of my current wheels, I can only presume they are Ford fitment which I believe is 4x108... so I guess the R500 wheels won't fit as I believe they're 4x100...

What offset am I after, and also are they 6J fronts, 8J rears?

afj

posted on 2/3/12 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
the radius is about the same as 195/50/15 so may drop a couple mph my compomotive cxrs are 6 inch front 185/60 and 7 rear 205/60 and the off sets are about et27 rear and 23 front and seem to sit about right on my old 15s had 6.5 wide and et36. the only problem with 13s is the rear brake caliper clearance if using sierra calipers i and other here had to remove the coil return spring some on here have sourced a custom small spring, i just fitted a compression spring on the hand brake cable, wheel choise is limted to compomotive cxrs team dynamics pro race 1.2 and some expensive split rims oh think daniel mason on here has cateringvan wheels look very

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

daniel mason

posted on 2/3/12 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
I have r500's on my Mnr. 4x 108

Proby

posted on 2/3/12 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Great pic Olz....
Andy B

posted on 2/3/12 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
We dropped from 7 x 15's shod with 205 50 15's to 7 x 13's on 205 60 13, the difference in diameter is negligible but we took 12kgs out overall. We are using pro race 1.2 wheels which are available in all the usual et offsets and ford fitment. Noticeable improvement in handling as well.
Regards
Andy

yellowcab

posted on 2/3/12 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
afj - thanks for the gen on the radius' and wheel/tyre options, will certainly be looking into them!

Daniel - nice one, always imagined r500 wheels were 4x100, nice to know they'll go on Ford hubs!

Proby - just a quick snap using the iPhone, not cracked out my proper gear & rig on it yet lol

Andy - looking forward to unsprung weigh advantage and handing too )

big_l

posted on 2/3/12 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
your car looks nice mate congrats

where you based ???

Check out my blog mnrvortxhayabusa@blogspot.com

yellowcab

posted on 3/3/12 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
Just in between Leicester & Coventry on the M69 :-)

yellowcab

posted on 3/3/12 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
lol broke it already, a spirited drive down the country roads going through the gears leaves me with a snapped gear linkage rod just where it enters the engine bay... luckily it snapped whilst in 3rd gear, so pulled over, switched off, had a look, and then drove it home...

Can only presume its a relatively common procedure just due to the nature of the wear & tear such a joint... lol

Hey ho, great excuse to have a tinker

daniel mason

posted on 3/3/12 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
i assume its a stick shift,so have you thought about a paddle shif setup? think andy bates does a nice one if my memory is correct!

yellowcab

posted on 3/3/12 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
I kinda liked the idea of a stick shift, up until this afternoon lol

Just felt with paddle shift it'd take some of the 'driving' out of things, but maybe not...

What kinda money are they? any links to any pic setups?

danny keenan

posted on 3/3/12 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
if its and old linkage its madde from rpush rods.we now make them with a push pull cable.they work alot better and never break.
its the same cable we use on our paddle shift system which works really good.

thanks danny

yellowcab

posted on 3/3/12 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Danny, would you recommend that I replace with cables either way then, rather than what I currently have?

Regardless of sticking with stick shift or going paddle?

danny keenan

posted on 3/3/12 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
its alot smoother gear change with a cable instead of rods.i would change it for what it costs.
you have my mobile numer if you need any help or advice.

thanks danny

yellowcab

posted on 3/3/12 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
I'll give you a tinkle tomorrow is that's OK? Or would you rather me wait until Monday?

danny keenan

posted on 3/3/12 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
tomorrow is fine mate any time you want.

thanks daany

yellowcab

posted on 5/3/12 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Managed to see what's actually broke on my shifter, and it's the DynoJet Quickshifter itself, it has '07 1 PULL' written on it, and the threaded bar has sheared off... Surely these should be high tensile no?

yellowcab

posted on 13/3/12 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Just a small update, sent the unit back to Dynojet UK who confirmed that the fault was not a manufacturing defect which I kinda knew, they told me to look out for a slight twist in my gear throw... As a gesture of goodwill, they have offered me 25% discount on a replacement unit which is good of them, so doing that.

For now, I went down to B&Q, got 30" of steel tubing (£4.18), 1mm wall thickness x 16mm diameter, rounded the shoulders off two m8 nuts, popped them in the ends and seam welded them, smoothed them off, popped the rose joints back on, and job jobbed... Car fixed... Just means for now I have to use the clutch to change gear, ad no full throttle up changes!

Here is a small video I made because I was bored from before I broke it last week sometime )

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=mhee&v=MZekIs2zkv4

yellowcab

posted on 17/3/12 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
broke it again, luckily I was with a group of mates in a well kitted out garage at the time - so removed said broken part, looked at why it broke, and improved it - win win!!!

The supporting bracket that was operating/ holding the clutch arm into the gearbox stripped the threads out of the gearbox upon a hard 'rev up' (it was in gear at the time, but clutch was depressed)

Rolled the car forward thinking it was proper broke to find an M8 nut (not snapped) with the last three threads being full of alloy... offered up the bracket to put the bolt back in, and it was only held in by those three turns of the bolt...

So we got a longer bolt, and screwed it in the correct amount, whilst cutting a new thread into said gearbox hole.

Clutch pedal feels more solid than before now, not as much 'loose play' as it were... however it could be tighter with some of the sloppy joints being replaced, in the near future )

yellowcab

posted on 20/3/12 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Some old pics that I took that I forgot to upload...
Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Bought a mini-mic so I could record on my iPhone with zero wind noise, so the mic is placed behind the dash

Description
Description

Gear shift indicator cheap eBay bobbie came today

Description
Description

The fix on the broken gear linkage

Description
Description

Description
Description

yellowcab

posted on 20/3/12 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Decided to measure up and design my own MK Indy rear diffuser, so we got making a ply-wood template so its a constant continuation of the flat floor, which will prevent the rear clam acting as a parachute slowing the car down under hard acceleration

Underside showing the continuation, large fins on the outside, slightly shallower fins on the inners to channel the air correctly
Description
Description

Larger out fins
Description
Description

Being made out of 1.2mm alloy sheeting, with folded outer fins, and TIG welded inner fins
Description
Description

Edge will be rolled and rounded to keep Mr.MOT tester happy, and to keep within guidelines, protrudes the rear of the car by 25mm
Description
Description

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.