Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mild 1300 x flow tuning tips
myke pocock

posted on 4/3/12 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Mild 1300 x flow tuning tips

I have a 32 DGAV converted to manual choke and1300 GT head all ready to fit but what else should I do at the same time? Dont want to increase BHP to the limit as I still want a nice easy car to drive so what cam should I fit? Reprofile or new? Do the inlet ports benefit from smoothing out as they look to have a nice big step where they are machined in from the manifold face? I also already have a Valencia distributor fitted.

[Edited on 4/3/12 by myke pocock]

rusty nuts

posted on 4/3/12 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Any reason you can't fit a 1600? More torque and horsepower straightaway
verybudgetzetec

posted on 4/3/12 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
match port the the carb to the intake, intake tothe head

hope that makes sence, also if possible try to match port the exhaust to the head aswell

i have done this on an old mini and gained 11bhp on the rolling road

stick with a dgav rather than twin carbs to keep the engine torquey!!!!! the dgav is good for up to 170+bhp believe it or not, dont bother swapping to a dgas as used on ford v6's they do give a little more pok & respond slighlty better at the cost of MPG though-thye drink fuel!!!!

if you want more poke get the head modified before changing the cam, standard intake valve size but bigger exhaust valves & both the inlet & exhaust ports ported, polishing is'nt needed really!

having the head skimmed to up the compression ratio will help give a bit more umph!

hope this helps a little

D Beddows

posted on 4/3/12 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
1100 pistons, buy a good exhaust (can't go far wrong with a Tony Law one) remove at least one of the choke flaps on the carb (standing at the front of the car looking back the one on the right of the carb can go straight away - the one on the left helps cold starting but if the carbs properly tuned and you only use the car when it's warm that can go too), port match the inlet manifold to the head - probably in that order BUT the biggest thing you can do is take it to a rolling road that understands carbs - a proper setup will transform it.

As for the cam - machining deeper cutouts in the pistons and fitting a Kent 224 cam is the best option (a 244 is too much for a 1300 xflow fun car) otherwise any of the fast road ones but rather than going down the 'fast road' route I'd do the stuff in the first paragraph first then see if you need more cam - if you do get the 224 and do the machining

[Edited on 4/3/12 by D Beddows]

batteredoldsupersport

posted on 4/3/12 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
As others say if you aren't restricted to a 1.3 then a 1.6 will always give better power and torque for less.
myke pocock

posted on 4/3/12 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Cant or dont want to go to 1600 because of the height issue and I cannot skim the head as its a flat head, ie; combustion chambers in the piston.
verybudgetzetec

posted on 4/3/12 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
a nice low pressure turbo setup could work wonders & with a metro turbo or renault 5 turbo carb for fueling!

8psi max would give it serious mambo!

dray13dad

posted on 4/3/12 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Yep know the probs of dropping in a 16 xflow and still keeping the same bonnet line,mine was a mare but just fits. when doing up the 16 xflow had the head portdand polished but also the vavle angles done in three stages to improve gasflow.

Am thinking for next year and going low turbo route

f750sgr

posted on 4/3/12 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
There's one or two mildly tuned 1300s around (Locost race series if you hadn't guessed). Have a look at the 750mc website, permitted engine mods for Locost, that should give you a few ideas.
You can skim the block for compression or as someone else suggested, fit the pistons from an 1100.

Sean

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.