<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wife not happy
jacko

posted on 8/3/12 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Wife not happy

Oder the wife got a letter today saying she cant retire until she is 66 now
dam government that's a jump of 3 years in the last few years

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_pete

posted on 8/3/12 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
In reality there is no such thing now as retirement, you simply resign when the time is right and you can live off your state and company pension.

The fact that the state pension age has been raised is the real pisser, and that the working population cannot afford to keep the non working population any longer, but no government is going to admit that......

Like many I've never had a penny in benefits, but any I was likely to get are being pulled further and further away.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 8/3/12 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

when the time is right and you can live off your state and company pension.

What about the majority that don't have a company pension?

simonwinn

posted on 8/3/12 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
I will reach my state pension age in 32 years 3 months and 28 days!! I will be 67 years 1 month and 1 day old......
Oh well its Friday tomorrow.....

T66

posted on 8/3/12 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
There is a massive offloading of pension liability going on, everyone is effected by this unless your an MP or Euro MP.

Tax whatever they fancy, change legislation to the better of the treasury, and shaft the majority, while the great unwashed sit in the house smoking tabs and applying to be on jeremy Kyle to annoy the working tax payers.

Bulk of taxpayers having their working life extended way beyond what anyone expected, paid less a pension, taxed more , while the fat bastards in pin stripe suits continue living tax free, and wriggling their way out of any other liability.

Retirement between the age of 60 and 65 is perfectly reasonable, just because people are living longer isnt a reason to extend their working life.

Dangle_kt

posted on 8/3/12 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66

Retirement between the age of 60 and 65 is perfectly reasonable, just because people are living longer isnt a reason to extend their working life.

Check out the life expectancy shift in the UK over the last 50 years in the UK, and then do some research on the future analysis of it.

People living longer is the exact reason that I'll be working till the best part of 70.

Not that long ago you'd be lucky to get much more than 10 years beyond end of working life, now its closer to double that.

Combine that with the fact that there is a demographic "bubble" reaching an age when they will use more and more public resources than ever used before (healthcare - expensive drugs,equipment etc, social care, pension)

The maths isn't particularly hard to work out, or particularly well hidden- there isn't enough money.

There is a generation that has done pretty well out of a couple of booms, (some people more than others to be fair) - and their need is being levelled against smaller proportion than normal of working adults. Something has to give. If it wasn't for the fact that more old people than young people vote I imagine things would be a lot harsher on that age group.

Chippy

posted on 8/3/12 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
I was dead lucky with mine, had a final salary pension fund, and then got forcebly retired at 54, so far had 19 years on a full pension. Plus very large golden handshake that payed off our mortgage. Ray

[Edited on 8-3-12 by Chippy]

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Ninehigh

posted on 8/3/12 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
I'll be very surprised if I live long enough to retire

T66

posted on 8/3/12 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
quote:
Originally posted by T66

Check out the life expectancy shift in the UK over the last 50 years in the UK, and then do some research on the future analysis of it.

People living longer is the exact reason that I'll be working till the best part of 70.

Not that long ago you'd be lucky to get much more than 10 years beyond end of working life, now its closer to double that.

Combine that with the fact that there is a demographic "bubble" reaching an age when they will use more and more public resources than ever used before (healthcare - expensive drugs,equipment etc, social care, pension)

The maths isn't particularly hard to work out, or particularly well hidden- there isn't enough money.

There is a generation that has done pretty well out of a couple of booms, (some people more than others to be fair) - and their need is being levelled against smaller proportion than normal of working adults. Something has to give. If it wasn't for the fact that more old people than young people vote I imagine things would be a lot harsher on that age group.

So I guess your happy to work until your 70 then ? I refer you to my earlier point - "Between 60 & 65 is a reasonable age to retire"

The fact there is no money is nothing, absolutely nothing to do with ANYTHING you or I have done, it has nothing to do with folk living longer, the country is bankrupted in many other areas, where waste has been acceptable for too long.

The UK taxpayer supports an enormous amount of non contributing people, not talking short term/long term people in a short/long term rut with health issues , but long term wasters who choose not to work.

NHS - a fantastic service, far far too expensive for the vast majority of us who dont use it. PFI - fail

Civil Service - well then , Border agency-fail, child support agency- fail , benefits enforcement -fail, PFI -fail

Military - RN carriers -fail, Harrier fleet - fail, Heavy lift helicopter fleet-fail, PFI- fail

Legal Aid - Over priced, useless abused system, again much used by the vast non contributing members of society.

Local authorities - Council tax - fail, local services, libraries, road sweeping-fail, bin emptying -fail.....???

Its got bot all to do with living longer, everything is de-regulated, de-nationalised run as a business, and is now costing far far too much.

There are far many more factors in the pie, driving this radical slashing of everything, but I have no doubt it is absolutely nothing to do with your projected age or mine, or that of your parents or mine.

Its called bullshit, sometimes it masks incompetence

James

posted on 8/3/12 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66
in the house smoking tabs and applying to be on jeremy Kyle to annoy the working tax payers.

We don't have TV here but was at Mum's today and had this on in the background there... not really seen it before, I was open mouthed!

I was stuck somewhere in between horror and rubber-necking a road accident!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

T66

posted on 8/3/12 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
Originally posted by T66
in the house smoking tabs and applying to be on jeremy Kyle to annoy the working tax payers.

We don't have TV here but was at Mum's today and had this on in the background there... not really seen it before, I was open mouthed!

I was stuck somewhere in between horror and rubber-necking a road accident!

Its shocking viewing, every nook of the UK has a fine selection available for the show.

morcus

posted on 9/3/12 at 02:35 AM Reply With Quote
I'm with Ninehigh, I doubt I'll make it to retirement, and the way things are looking being retired would kill me off if I did.

I personally do think it's fair to expect people to work longer if they're going to live longer. I don't particularly want to go to work at all before anyone asks, I'll definitly be working at 70 though assuming I'm not dead or a lottory winner.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Bare

posted on 9/3/12 at 02:59 AM Reply With Quote
nonsense.. the people You voted for.. years ago even.. decided to use all those pension deductions as a 'general revenue' source rather than inserting them into a dedicated sinking fund, as a reasonable man would. Now .. they realise that the $ incoming will not equal the $outgoing in benefits.
Ergo cut the benefits or increase the age limits so few can claim them.
Vote for idiots.. perennially, continually demand more handouts from 'big brother' ..and suffer the consequences.
Sow and Reap kids.

[Edited on 9/3/12 by Bare]

Ninehigh

posted on 9/3/12 at 03:07 AM Reply With Quote
Iirc I have never voted Labour, Tory or Lib Dem... Unfortunately it's still my problem.

I wonder if I could argue that I don't recognise this government as they don't represent me otherwise I'd have voted for them

MikeRJ

posted on 9/3/12 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bare
Vote for idiots.. perennially, continually demand more handouts from 'big brother' ..and suffer the consequences.
Sow and Reap kids.

Which particular band of idiots are you certain wouldn't have done this? Do you always know the intentions of a party 10 or 20 years in advance when you vote?

Don't you think calling people "kids" is a bit patronising?

[Edited on 9/3/12 by MikeRJ]

Neville Jones

posted on 9/3/12 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
The damage to this country was done in the Thatcher and Major years. The politicians rubber stamped the decisions, but blame the unelected academic dickhead 'advisors' who told them what to do. Like the brainless idiot who told them to sell off the utilities for less than the profit they made in 5 years. Like the idiot who told them to shut down the railways, because buses would take the public anywhere and everywhere. Well, until diesel runs out anyway.

Then there has to be top prize to the brainless clowns who told them to shut down all the manufacturing and heavy industry, because the UK was going to be a country of 'service' industries. All those youngsters on the dole should be apprentices in some sort of manufacturing industry, so that you can actually export something tangible, and instead of being paid dole, the youngsters would actually be paying tax, or at least not being paid from the public purse. Service industries... what is the Uk going to do? Export McDonalds burgers?

When will common sense ever reign in a government? How can some ponsy 'Eton boy' ever know how real people live?

It should be mandatory for politicians to be time served tradesmen and engineers and nurses and...well, people who actually know life and how it really is.

Meatloaf's new album is about going to hell in a handbasket. Couldn't be more true.

After all that,
Cheers,
Nev.

morcus

posted on 9/3/12 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
I really don't think forcing all MP's to have had jobs in specific sectors would help anything and I believe the two prime ministers you specifically attacked did have propper jobs and neither of them went to eaton. Major is easilly the most 'normal' person to ever become PM and Thatcher was a Chemist, at a level that would make her very simillar to an engineer. Major didn't even attend University and as far as I can tell doesn't even have any A-Levels.

Basically what you said contradicts it's self.

Ninehigh

posted on 9/3/12 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
I read that John Major didn't have a maths O level.. and for a time he was in charge of the country's money...

D Beddows

posted on 9/3/12 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Neville for PM couldn't agree more!

With respect Morcus history does strange things to peoples perception of previous leaders......you are too young to have had to pay poll tax for example - I was 18, tiny income and yet I had to pay as much as people earning 50 times my wage....tell me how the person who thought that up was in touch with reality and the working population!? and then we get to selling everything off and dismantling Britains manufacturing industry so we can all work in call centres etc........that's worked.......she was a grocers daughter yet it's far from impossible to establish a link from her governments policies to the eradication of 90% of the countries independant grocers...... I could go on lol

[Edited on 9/3/12 by D Beddows]

morcus

posted on 9/3/12 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
True, but Nev still seems to be saying two things at once as the two people he singled out best meet his criteria for running the country of everyone who has already done so. You can't have a truely normal person as PM as you'd stop being normal as soon as you took office.

D Beddows

posted on 9/3/12 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
You don't want 'normal' people leading the country, we'd all be in trouble then......oh hang on........lol

I often wonder what would have happened if John Smith had been PM instead of Tony Blair, admitedly he probably wouldn't have won the election Tony did but I do wonder sometimes when I watch the news ...........

T66

posted on 9/3/12 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Neville has hit the nail on the head for me....

However following on from the tory years, you have pretend working people called Labour MPs

Who have bankrupted the UK coffers, dont agree with all the Tory/Clogg cuts, but what alternative is there, we are seriously over spent.

The spending has to end somewhere, but instead of hitting only those who pay tax, I would be far happier seeing the long term dole fraternity being given some work, or told to sling their hooks for benefits. Dont mix me up, I mean the ones taking the urine, not the genuine ones.

gazza285

posted on 9/3/12 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
The damage to this country was done in the Thatcher and Major years. The politicians rubber stamped the decisions, but blame the unelected academic dickhead 'advisors' who told them what to do. Like the brainless idiot who told them to sell off the utilities for less than the profit they made in 5 years. Like the idiot who told them to shut down the railways, because buses would take the public anywhere and everywhere. Well, until diesel runs out anyway.

Then there has to be top prize to the brainless clowns who told them to shut down all the manufacturing and heavy industry, because the UK was going to be a country of 'service' industries. All those youngsters on the dole should be apprentices in some sort of manufacturing industry, so that you can actually export something tangible, and instead of being paid dole, the youngsters would actually be paying tax, or at least not being paid from the public purse. Service industries... what is the Uk going to do? Export McDonalds burgers?

When will common sense ever reign in a government? How can some ponsy 'Eton boy' ever know how real people live?

It should be mandatory for politicians to be time served tradesmen and engineers and nurses and...well, people who actually know life and how it really is.

Meatloaf's new album is about going to hell in a handbasket. Couldn't be more true.

After all that,
Cheers,
Nev.

And before Thatcher we had Wilson and Callaghan, both of whom had Eric Varley in the cabinet, the man who did his best to knife the British car makers in the back. Other industries such as steel and textiles all saw a big decline in the 70s before Thatcher and Major. Going back further the late 60s under Wilson's first tenure as Prime Minister led ultimately to the devaluation of the pound, and also gave rise to a proposed change in industrial relations that was adopted by Thatcher later when she became PM.

The problems faced by industry in this country all have their roots in the 50s and 60s, to blame only Thatcher and Major is wrong.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

D Beddows

posted on 9/3/12 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
When I was much younger I used to work front of house at a Theatre and Conference Centre that held a few Labour and Lib Dem party conferences......... politicians are on the whole very unpleasant people from my experience of them 'off camera' - long before Tony Blair was really important he always had a huge scrum of security around him (and he looked straight through you when he was talking to you.....with those very scary eyes......which are much scarier in person ), same for most of them tbh - John Smith, who was Labour leader at the time, on the other hand obviously had loads of big blokes with him too BUT he spoke to you as though he'd just popped in to buy tickets for a show and came across as a really decent guy. Sadly no one really remembers him now but I suspect his untimely death was probably a huge loss to the country

Down to earth politicians are hard to come by sadly, one of my dads best mates is Tony Greaves (Baron Greaves Of Pendal to give him his full title nowadays), a Lord but still one of the most down to earth men you could ever meet - when I was little he was just a local councillor in Colne but he's spent his life genuinely trying help people. Even now he earns his living selling 2nd hand books (and I believe to this day can still be found manning a book stall in the foyer of conference venues) rather than earning millions as an 'advisor' to some multinational. If only there were more like him.....

Neville Jones

posted on 10/3/12 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
On modern day MP's..

My nephew is aiming to be an MP, same as his workmates at Westminster. A very scary situation.

He got a Masters Degree in History, something to do with Romans and ancient parliament type things. Then he got a job(actually paid, as most of his workmates in similar situation work 'for the experience'.) as a researcher and assistant for a conservative MP.

Next step is to be nominated and stand in an electorate where he has no chance, but gets the 'experience', whilst still keeping up his work in Westminster.

Depending how many arses he licks, he may get a marginal seat to contest after the first. Third try he gets a definite Conservative electorate to get voted into. This is how a great many of the present and future MP's come through the system.

All of this and he ends up an MP. A sort of apprenticeship.

Him, and his woolly headed mates end up running the country, and have never seen anything but a university, its bars, and the inside of Westminster! Then they rely on similar background academics for advice on the stuff they've never experienced. He may have come from an ordinary family background, been educated at a council high school, and may seen to have come from a simple background. But, I wouldn't trust him to go to Sainsbury's to buy bread and ham for lunch, and come back with what he was sent for!

And people wonder why the country is going to hell in a hand basket?

Me, I've got two passports, and will be exercising my right to live elsewhere as soon as my sons have finished uni. Engineers and Physicists, at least they can contribute something practical.

Cheers,
Nev.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.