Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel line
belgian2b

posted on 12/3/12 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Fuel line

Hello,

i am thinking at the fuel lines on my Tiger cat E1 kit.

I will be running two 8 mm ( inside) diameter rubber fuel hoses ( EFI engine).

I am looking for clips to fix the hoses throught the tunnel.

Another solution would be to put the rubber hoses into rigid plastic pipes ( like for electricity).

What do you think of this solution ?
IVA friendly ?

thanks for advices,

Gerardo

SeaBass

posted on 12/3/12 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Personally I would not use long lengths of rubber hose to run fuel lines - see a production vehicle.

Copper microbore tubing is fairly common if secured properly and protected against fatigue. Plastic coated steel can be used if you have suitable tooling to shape it/work it. Put a bead on the end of each tube to secure rubber hose.

Keep the flexible hoses to a minimum at either end and inspect regularly for perishing.

I don't like braided hose for fuel - no advantage in a standard kit and not easy to inspect.

In My Humble Opinion.

JC

wilkingj

posted on 12/3/12 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
Personally I would not use long lengths of rubber hose to run fuel lines - see a production vehicle.

Copper microbore tubing is fairly common if secured properly and protected against fatigue. Plastic coated steel can be used if you have suitable tooling to shape it/work it. Put a bead on the end of each tube to secure rubber hose.

Keep the flexible hoses to a minimum at either end and inspect regularly for perishing.

I don't like braided hose for fuel - no advantage in a standard kit and not easy to inspect.

In My Humble Opinion.

JC

+1

I used copper heating pipe and plenty of "P" clips to support it. I also painted it with Waxoyl, and encased it in a bit of split convoluted tubing to stop stones etc from denting it.

Keep the fuel pipe as far away from any wiring as is possible. (It was a SVA failure point, and is probably one for the IVA too).
I just soldered brass pipe olives onto the pipe to get the flares. You dont want a hose coming off especially if its carrying 60 PSI of petrol! Its a Major Fire Hazard / instant Flamethrower job in an accident.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
karlak

posted on 12/3/12 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
I know there is a Cost implication, but would the aeroquip type braided hose pipes be OK? I think this is what is used in race cars.

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

Toprivetguns

posted on 12/3/12 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Im about to install my fuel pipe work. As mentioned im using 8mm copper piping with gas bottle fittings on either end similar to this...

http://www.gasandhireltd.com/wade-1/2-male-thread-to-fulham-nozzle/prod_359.html

Cant find the exact site I got them from.

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

blakep82

posted on 12/3/12 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
i was going to use braided hose, but when it actually came to it, I got 8mm and 10mm copper fuel pipe from a boat chandlry shop, £1.30 a metre or something. through the tunnel I put it in a suitable sized plastic water plumbing pipe to protect from any wiring faults, heat from exhaust (which also has to go through the tunnel) stones etc. if it splits, the plastic pipe will stop fuel spraying anywhere.
it was cheap enough, and actually very easy to work with tbh, not so difficult to consider changing my mind to rubber mid way. it was all done and in within about 30 minutes

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

belgian2b

posted on 12/3/12 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for advice.

I think i will go the copper pipe route.

Gerardo

SeaBass

posted on 12/3/12 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by karlak
I know there is a Cost implication, but would the aeroquip type braided hose pipes be OK? I think this is what is used in race cars.

Race vehicles are maintained before and after each event. Fuel lines are regularly replaced and components are dated and "lifed". Also they frequently run where they can easily be seen.

Modern fuels have some very nasty additives that can damage even the best grades of hose - keep them to a minimum.

IMHO

JC

carboy0

posted on 27/4/12 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel Pipe Clips

Does anyone know of any regs for the maximum spacing of fuel pipe clips (P clips). e.g. every 25cm?

Or does anyone have any personal experience of what vehicle inspectors like/don't like to see?

I shall be using 8mm kunifer piping, doubled for the fuel in and return line, run along the side of the chassis rails.

Thanks in advance.

Chris
www.marinacoupe.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.