Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MOT Question
Thinking about it

posted on 13/3/12 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
MOT Question

A mate of mine has an Alfa that is due an MOT soon. The rear window of the soft top has gone opaque to the point where you cant see through it.
Is this an MOT fail due to lack of visibility? The thing is he never uses the car if it needs the hood up. I said take it for MOT with the hood down.

So whats the offical line on this?

loggyboy

posted on 13/3/12 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
I believe you need to have 2 functional mirrors , one drivers, and then one side, and/or one interior. However it does state 2.
An obligatory mirror or indirect vision device:
a.
obscured, damaged or deteriorated so that the view to the rear is seriously impaired
b.
does not provide an adequate view to the rear or is incapable of being adjusted to provide an adequate view.

So if I woudl suggest, simply removing your interior mirror, aslong as the passenger and drivers sides are ok.

[Edited on 13/3/12 by loggyboy]

adithorp

posted on 13/3/12 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Shouldn't matter as long as he has both door mirrors (or wing mirrors if its an old Alfa). Interior mirror in place doesn't matter either; Lots of vans have the interior mirror in place with either blanked rear windows or a bulkhead fitted.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

emidas

posted on 13/3/12 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
This worked a treat on an old SAAB with a similar problem

http://www.renovointernational.com/products/p_wpolish.php

Thinking about it

posted on 13/3/12 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emidas
This worked a treat on an old SAAB with a similar problem

http://www.renovointernational.com/products/p_wpolish.php

I have heard good reports on that stuff too. However his is held together with tape aswell. he could do with a new window as the rest of the car is in good order. But like he said he doesnt use it.

MattStorey

posted on 13/3/12 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
I have a internal mirror and an external drivers side mirror. Is this correct? (In total honesty anything about 30mph and above is blurry..)
jollygreengiant

posted on 13/3/12 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Take the vehicle for test with the hood DOWN. The tester has to test as presented, so even if he see's that the rear window is opaque, he can only advise on it. If It's raining when dropped off ask for the vehicle to be kept inside as the roof mechanism is faulty. then its thier job to look after your pride and joy.

edit bit.
think about what happens with vehicles where there is a centre mirror and the rear view is blanked by panelling. So if you have two side mirrors then forget about the centre. And ignore my above comments.

[Edited on 13/3/12 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.