Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Focus ST225 (Volvo t5) engine wiring
surrey_100e

posted on 18/3/12 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Focus ST225 (Volvo t5) engine wiring

Hi Guys,

Dont know if im in the right place but just need some advice. Ive got a focus st engine (the volvo t5) which ive fitted to my ford 100e. Ive dry sumped it, custom flywheel, clutch etc, custom intercoolers, radiators, t5 cosworth gearbox, the lot.
Im now at the stage where im looking at wiring it up and sorting the engine management. Ive got the original ecu and engine loom which i want to run it on but i imagine there is some immobiliser built it? How would i get round this?
Im currently trying to source the interior loom to make things easier but am thinking do i really need it?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Martin

tilly819

posted on 18/3/12 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have the original Key and ignition barrel???? if it is like most modern cars they will be matched to the ECU

thats a DAM fine looking machine you have built there by the way

tilly

[Edited on 18/3/12 by tilly819]

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

daniel mason

posted on 18/3/12 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
not totally sure on the answer to your question but you are in the right place, that looks awesome!
personally i would opt for aftermarket ecu but obviously budget is a consideration.

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2751
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 18/3/12 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Can't help with the wiring but like that a lot Martin .It looks superb
Welcome to te forum too

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 18/3/12 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
i think the focus engine ecu will definately have an immobiliser, whereas the older volvo ecus probably won't or it will be easy to work around.
I've have read that the volvo 850 ecu is very flexible

I'm using a t5 engine and had always planned to go with an aftermarket ecu and a custom loom.

If you odn't mind me asking I'd be interested to know more about your custom flywheel clutch and drysump. Is it something you dsigned and had made or did you buy?

Should have said too I love the look of the project

[Edited on 18/3/12 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

surrey_100e

posted on 18/3/12 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
thanks everyone.

Unfortunately i dont have the keys or ignition barrel, just literally the engine loom and ecu.
I was originally going to use vipec v88 management but the cost was too much to warrant at the moment. Maybe in the future but i just wanted to get it running for now.

Heres a few pics of some bits ive made and had made.
The dry sump set up is a pace bg high flow pump and a dry sump pan that a guy made a couple of them a few years ago.

The flywheel was a built by ttv racing to suit volvo s60r clutch plate and im using a ap 6 paddle clutch with hydraulic release mechanism.

big_wasa

posted on 18/3/12 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
If your local I would love a crack at an st engine managment. I love playing with ecu's but I really dont like your chances. Even if you are able to use the immobilizer the ecu will be can-bus and require all sorts of inputs.
Being Volvo bassed I would look to an older volvo ecu and loom.

Whats your bell housing of ?

perksy

posted on 18/3/12 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome

That car of yours is lovely

I'd be surprised if you could get that ECU to work tbh
Might be worth having a look on the Passion ford and Turbo sport forums to see if anybody has been lucky ?

Remember chatting to one of the lads at Westfield when they first brought out the XTR4 with the Audi engine and
They had tried to use the standard ECU, but it was a nightmare as it was always looking for sensors and kept throwing fault codes
They ended up going MBE in the end iirc

Is this something a Megasquirt could help with ?
If it is it would help keep the cost down

surrey_100e

posted on 19/3/12 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
If your local I would love a crack at an st engine managment. I love playing with ecu's but I really dont like your chances. Even if you are able to use the immobilizer the ecu will be can-bus and require all sorts of inputs.
Being Volvo bassed I would look to an older volvo ecu and loom.

Whats your bell housing of ?

im in surrey, looks like its a bit too far

Like i said i have the engine loom, thats connected to everything on the engine and theres nothing left to plug in in that area so i was hoping to utilise that and go from there... to where i do not know just yet.

The bell housing is from a 960 auto box and i made the adaptor plate to mate it to the cosworth box

Being 5 cylinder and having vvt the engine management systems available all seem to be on the pricey side.

big_wasa

posted on 19/3/12 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Yep 5 pots are not easy to sort aftermarket. I run the oem ford ecu in my 7 I can do them upto around year 2000 after this I dont know how the security compares and what other inputs it will need. The ecu's went from eec to black oak and can-bus aswell.

Ive never had the space or money to find out.

It CAN be done but you may need a running donor to reverse engineer it.

First thing to find out is if the ecu is Ford or Volvo bassed. I really would look to the older volvo ecu's

Volvorsport

posted on 19/3/12 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
st ecu will need the immobiliser sorting out ,

earlier volvo ecu will be much easier to sort out ... it may not have the vvt part tho so , you may be stuck .

nice work by the way . nice to see austens work getting used....

did you keep the drawing for the T5 gearbox adapter ? because you can now sell them to all and sundry who want RWD 5 cylinders.

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

surrey_100e

posted on 21/3/12 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
cheers guys.
Well ive had a think and im going to go down the vipec v88 ecu route, will make life much easier and will be worth it in the end, just means a bit more saving, also i can still use the existing loom so all is not lost.

And yes i still have the templates knocking about somewhere for the adaptor

Will keep you all updated
Thanks

daniel mason

posted on 21/3/12 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
how much is the ecu? as im sure there are many others which would do the job.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.