Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT - Career Advice Needed
beagley

posted on 20/3/12 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
OT - Career Advice Needed

Alright fellow locosters...... I need some of your expertise. I am a software developer by trade and have an upcoming interview.

I currently have a good job. Have been here 5 years, am very happy, like the people I work with. The pay is on the low end of the spectrum, but SWMBO and I are good with our money so we're not hurting. of course I would like to make more, but not a huge deal at this point of our lives. My problem is that my current employer uses a software development environment that is fairly old and I am concerned about my future. At the ripe old age of 30 I have AT LEAST 35 to 40 years left of employment. My fear is that if I stay where I am I will put myself out of the available pool because I will fall technologically behind.

I recently applied for a .NET Developer position somewhere and they have called me in for an interview. PURELY speculation at this point, but if that goes well and I am offered a position I will most likely be taking it because I feel it protects our futures a bit more than where I am. With that said, here is my question.

How do I gracefully exit my current position without burning any bridges or creating any unnecessary turmoil?

I know not to throw anybody under the bus or speak negatively about my current employer. I definitely won't be doing that as I currently enjoy my job and like it here. I would think my boss would understand my reasons for leaving, probably won't like that I'm contemplating leaving, but at least understand it.

Any advice.....???

I'm not scared!!! I'm just marking my territory.

daviep

posted on 20/3/12 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
I think you answered your own question, just be honest.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

Ninehigh

posted on 20/3/12 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Exactly, just give your notice and say that you've enjoyed your time here but you feel you have to move on.

Slimy38

posted on 20/3/12 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
As above, just be honest. In fact, it might be worth quoting that you're purely going to learn new technologies, and no other reason. No-one in IT can afford to be left behind, to be honest you're already a fair few year late if you're just coming into .net. And if your current employer doesn't use up to date IT, then they can't expect you to stick around. As you say, it's far too early in your career to get yourself stuck in a rut.

Just word your notice properly, make sure that you say that you've enjoyed your time and appreciated all the help you've had during your employment, and you should be fine.

big-vee-twin

posted on 20/3/12 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like you've got it sorted out already. I would ask yourself one question though, so you are prepared -

What if they offer you more money/promotion to stay put?

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

DavidW

posted on 20/3/12 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Good advice above.

I currently have 2 guys working their notice periods for me. One of them is continuing to carry out is duties in an honest a professional manner and could easily come back one day if he needed.

The other is being a pain and about to be put on gardening leave. This might be nice a for a couple of months but his bridges are well and truly burnt along with his reputation and it's a 'small world' out there.

Good luck!

Dangle_kt

posted on 20/3/12 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
I dont really see a question in any of that.

My personal experience is a few years ago I left an employer for similar reasons (v.low wage), I moved to a crap company, but got a bigger wage - learned from it (more what NOT to do, but learned all the same), moved again within a year to a better company, enjoy my job in the main and have learned a lot. A few weeks ago I got a call from my original employer - I'm starting back there next week, doing a similar role to my old one, on double the salary I left on 4 years ago.

The lesson for me was, work hard, keep it amicable, learn from all your experiences and you never know you might end up.

Alan B

posted on 21/3/12 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Andy,

Funny you should post this...I interviewed again at the place I'd interviewed before...you know the one with cast members....... Would be a better and permanent position, but I'm still uncertain.

Alan

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.