Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Paddle Clutch
rost

posted on 22/3/12 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Paddle Clutch

I ordered a Helix clutch cover and plate for my 4age to T9 conversion at Fensport. Originally I ordered a regular organic plate, but I accidentally picked one with a Toyota spline instead of the T9 one. So I called them and had it changed, the ford one turned out to be a bit more dearer. The stuff arrived today and I can see why it was more expensive, they changed it to a sprung paddle one.
Now my question is, how drive-able would this combination be on the road? I don't mind the extra money it was, but I don't want to spend more money on an less-than-ideal option.
Most reviews I've found on paddle clutches are with regular cars, I guess it would be easier on a lighter car?

Charlie don't surf!

tomgregory2000

posted on 22/3/12 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
I "had" a rigid centre 6 paddle clutch on my sr20det engine in my viento, i made do with it for a year and then took it out for an organic one, it was a nightmare to use on the road, no give, and you had to rev it to pull away otherwise it would stall, could not pull away smoothly as it was very grabby, they are fine for track work but i would not use on the road as it ruined my car in terms of driveability, once i changed the clutch to the organic it was soooooooooooooo much nicer to drive
hicost

posted on 22/3/12 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Paddle

Quite surprised at the answer so far. I have used them for 10+ years on mine and I do allot of road and mountain driving. They are a little bit more like an on / off switch but very easy to get along with.

I run a hydraulic thrust, not sure if that has a bearing on it. Sorry about the pun

"I cant do that without accidentally grabbing hold of the work of the divine potter"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CNHSS1

posted on 22/3/12 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
a rigid centre paddle and a sprung centre paddle are quite different beasts, rigid centre shows up every clunk, slack and shunt in the drivetrain, the sprung centre goes a way to mask that, as does really good low end mapping (most mappers spend their time and your money mapping the performance end of the rev range, not the trundling end...)

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

rost

posted on 22/3/12 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
It's a sprung 4 paddle one. I think I might give it a try

Charlie don't surf!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.