Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: No load power use?
Fred W B

posted on 25/3/12 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
No load power use?

Some people keep telling me that I must unplug my cellphone charger when it's not in use, as it uses electricity even when its not plugged into a phone.

I don't see how that can be, when their is no load on the charger. Where is this supposed electricity going?

Anyone care to agree/disagree/explain?

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Paul (Notts)

posted on 25/3/12 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
I'd guess throught the input coil on the transformer. even when there is no output load.

does it get warm. Then its using up electricity.

Paul

mark chandler

posted on 25/3/12 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Well made coils are very efficient, 99.99% or better.

No phone plugged in then it will draw very little power, as you load the output it pushes back on the primary windings which then draw more current.

The only place the power will go when the phone is not plugged in is heat, if its not getting hot then only a tiny bit of current is being drawn.

Regards Mark

Ninehigh

posted on 25/3/12 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
True, but isn't it just easier to unplug it?

Slimy38

posted on 25/3/12 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Our cell phone chargers don't seem to get that warm, so I'm happy to leave them be. It's probably 10p a year or something. However, I have a charger for a rechargeable light that almost glows even when there's nothing plugged into it, that gets unplugged as soon as the light is charged.

As Mark says, it must be the quality of the charger. My phone would require a pretty decent 5 volt feed with the ability to cut off, so the electronics must be a bit clever. Whereas the rechargeable light is effectively a nicad battery with no need for proper voltage management, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's little more than a diode bridge and a big capacitor after the transformer!

Interestingly, my phone actually tells me to unplug my charger once it's finished charging. So even Nokia believe it to be true.

SeaBass

posted on 26/3/12 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Modern wall chargers for electronics used switched mode power supply solid state circuits. They don't have the "iron" aka transformer in them anymore. If well designed it should have very low power dissipation even when in use so low power losses.
owelly

posted on 26/3/12 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
I remember a few years ago, a TV programme that showed how inefficient 'normal' filament bulbs were by having two 60watt lamps in a box with a (prepped for cooking!) chicken. The chicken was properly cooked in two hours. Obviously folks were amazed how much energy these lamps wasted. To me, I was thinking what a brilliant secondary benefit. These lamps help heat up the room when you're using it. I wonder how much more output your central heating has to provide to make up for these daft 'energy' lamps that seem to take forever to give a decent light?
So instead of switching off any chargers, just sit a bit closer to them and reap the benefits.
I'm thinking of swapping my gas combi boiler because the silly little window where the burner lives doesn't give off enough light to read by......

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 15/5/13 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly...To me, I was thinking what a brilliant secondary benefit. These lamps help heat up the room when you're using it....

when I first bought my house it had a very bright 150w filiment bulb in the bathroom without a shade - however I'm a bit taller than the little old lady who lived there before.....

so I now know just how hot they get - luckly most of the hair grew back

-

MikeR

posted on 15/5/13 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
a very bright chap at cambridge uni got sick of all the crap science about green energy. He wrote a book. He caused quite a stir and got invited into the government energy working party.

If i remember correctly its something like leave a charger plugged in and it will consume 1w. Its basically such a small return its not worth worrying about. The reason people pick on it is that its a very obvious easy change to get people thinking about being energy efficient - the first easy step.

link to his web site

http://www.withouthotair.com/about.html

britishtrident

posted on 15/5/13 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
The only problem with leaving mobile chargers and like plugged in is the fire risk --- very very low risk but you can quite easily have a dozen+ chargers or other power supplies plugged in in a normal house.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.