Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2004-6 R1 5VY Speed Sensor
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 26/3/12 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
2004-6 R1 5VY Speed Sensor

Can anyone please give me an idea of what and where the speed sensor should be on the original engine?

There's nothing obviously visible, either in the sprocket area, or a sensor coming out of the crankcase. There's a good deal of plumbing and venting tapped into the crankcase, so it's site may have been utilised. I do not have the original primary sprocket cover, so I don't know if the sensor would/should be found there.

What, therefore should I be seeing?

I need a speed signal from something, I'd like to recreate what should be there from Yamaha.

Thanks for any pointers.

kjouk

posted on 26/3/12 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Try lower crankcase, between the upper & lower mounting points on rear of engine. Should be sensor/hole pointing in direction of output shaft.
adithorp

posted on 26/3/12 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
It's down near the out-put shaft and has a traingular plug on the end of the wires from it. Copied this from Rob Collinridges build site...

"19 - Speed Sensor
The speed sensor is fixed to the engine block but this is the only sensor I've found where the wiring colours don't match the diagram. They should be black/blue + white + blue/yellow but they are actually pink + orange/red + black/white. The wiring loom has a white triangular connector, 3 pins, 3 wires, blue + blue/black + white/yellow. Required by ECU from what I can see but other owners say it is only required if you use the R1 clocks."

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Davg

posted on 26/3/12 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Yep as above white triangular conector

------------------------------------------------------------------------

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 27/3/12 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, yep, just under the crankcase join line, to the right of the sprocket is the sensor. It doesn't look like a sensor, it's had it's wires cropped flush with the housing, but the sensor it certainly is.

I clearly need to get hold of one, and the plugs, then involve myself with lots of grief. I guess this is what I need:

yamaha yzf r1 speed sensor oem 04 05 06 RN12 | eBay

The car has an aftermarket dash/loom/everything so it's going to take some working out.

[Edited on 27/3/12 by motorcycle_mayhem]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.