Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine Power - Fuel Capacity / Pressure
carboy0

posted on 1/4/12 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Engine Power - Fuel Capacity / Pressure

Hi

I need some advice on what capacity fuel pump I need for an engine producing about 165 bhp, the system needs 3 bar of pressure.

I am building an in-tank system, is 3.5 bar and 135 litres/hr going to be enough, or am I going to need a replacement pump?

Thanks in advance.

[Edited on 1/4/12 by carboy0]

Chris
www.marinacoupe.co.uk

Dave Bailey

posted on 1/4/12 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure of the pumps capacity but I am running hardlines about 6mm ID and I am using an in tank Impreza pump at 3 Bar and my motor is 170BHP. Fuel pressure is stable @ 3 bar and doesn't ever seem to drop....

I think the pump is capable of 355LPH but the flow is pretty much governed by the bore and length of the fuel lines.... The std pump is good I think for about 250 BHP.... I was worried about running lean at high revs so probably went a bit OTT...

Dave B

carboy0

posted on 1/4/12 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Dave

That settles the fuel pressure question. So is 135 litres/hour enough for 165 bhp?

Chris
www.marinacoupe.co.uk

Chippy

posted on 1/4/12 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
A fairly rough and ready way to get your maximum fuel consumption is to work on the old system that 100 bhp will consume 5 gallons an hour when flat out. So 165 bhp will use 9 gallons per hour flat out, convert that to litres and that is the very worst that you could use. Think thats 40.5 litres, so your pump will be well within limits. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

carboy0

posted on 2/4/12 at 06:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
A fairly rough and ready way to get your maximum fuel consumption is to work on the old system that 100 bhp will consume 5 gallons an hour when flat out. So 165 bhp will use 9 gallons per hour flat out, convert that to litres and that is the very worst that you could use. Think thats 40.5 litres, so your pump will be well within limits. HTH Ray

Thanks Ray, that's just what I needed.

Chris

Chris
www.marinacoupe.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.