Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Striker Gearbox / tunnel Clearance
loggyboy

posted on 6/4/12 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Striker Gearbox / tunnel Clearance

Been trail fitting my gearbox, but seem to be having an issue with getting it far back enough to fit prop fully and line with mount holes without clashing with the back of the engine bay.
Anyone got any pics of there install? or point out something i may be missing out.
Its a standard 5 speed type 9, from a 1.8 cvh with demountable bellhousing.

Dopdog

posted on 6/4/12 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
I do not think you need to be that far onto the prop? I do not think mine is that far on. Its only a couple of screws I will have a pic for you in the morn.
clanger

posted on 7/4/12 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
striker tunnels are pretty tight but do-able. as stated as long as there's plenty of prop into the gearbox there should not be any problems. is the gearbox mount pre-drilled? if not just re-postion to give a bit more clearance in the tight bits, alternatively a little bit of grinding on the bell-housing here and there won't harm it. the starter area on the bell housing will be very close to the passenger foot well when its in, but as long as its not touching 3-5mm should be ample clearance.....
just make sure the gearbox casing at the selector end has a bit of room around the tunnel members as this can move a fair bit side to side on the rubber mount when its up and running...

also on a side note, make sure you anchor the pedal pivot bar rather than split pin through...............the previous builder of my car did just that on mine. Result was the bar rotated in the pedal box causing elongation and wear of the shaft....

carboy0

posted on 7/4/12 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
If you are sure that the front of the bellhousing is at the right height, mount the rear gearbox onto its crossmember and see what happens when the weight of the gearbox settles on its rubber bush. This will drop the rear end a little which may help with clearance (or it may make it worse) either way it's a truer picture of where the gearbox will end up. Different bellhousings have different (wider/narrower) bellys on them, so a different (narrower) bellhousing could help.

Chris
www.marinacoupe.co.uk

loggyboy

posted on 7/4/12 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clanger
is the gearbox mount pre-drilled?

Yes it is predrilled and im about 10-15mm short. Even if I redrill with a decent amount of clearance for some movement around the bellhousing im going to be very close if not on the angle of the mounting plates.

quote:
Originally posted by clanger
also on a side note, make sure you anchor the pedal pivot bar rather than split pin through...............the previous builder of my car did just that on mine. Result was the bar rotated in the pedal box causing elongation and wear of the shaft....

Thanks, the other end of the bar has a small flat plate to bolt it to the side of the pedal box

quote:
If you are sure that the front of the bellhousing is at the right height, mount the rear gearbox onto its crossmember and see what happens when the weight of the gearbox settles on its rubber bush. This will drop the rear end a little which may help with clearance (or it may make it worse) either way it's a truer picture of where the gearbox will end up. Different bellhousings have different (wider/narrower) bellys on them, so a different (narrower) bellhousing could help.

As above, I cant bolt the mount up as its short of the predrilled holes. I have guessedamated the angle of the box based on getting the bellhousing end vertical, and even if I was to move it up or down a few degrees, it would still touch the tunnel opening.

Cheers for the pointers both here and by U2U. - Might direct the query to Raw on Tuesday.

[Edited on 7/4/12 by loggyboy]

loggyboy

posted on 12/4/12 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Well this is Raws suggestion:

Trim the bellhousing..

Anyone else got this on their Striker?

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 12/4/12 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a type 9 in my striker, will have a look when I get home.

I don't recall anything having been chopped off - is it not just a slightly to short prop shaft?

loggyboy

posted on 12/4/12 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Norfolkluegojnr

I don't recall anything having been chopped off - is it not just a slightly to short prop shaft?

Ive been told its fine for the prop to be 20mm or so out, but its the pre drilled gaerbox mount dont line up, so the gearbox needs to be pretty much where it is, I can of course elongate them, but that still means the tunnel would be close, so by doing this it does look like I would have 5mm or so clearance on both sides.

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 12/4/12 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:

Ive been told its fine for the prop to be 20mm or so out, but its the pre drilled gaerbox mount dont line up, so the gearbox needs to be pretty much where it is, I can of course elongate them, but that still means the tunnel would be close, so by doing this it does look like I would have 5mm or so clearance on both sides.

SO its cut the bellhousing as the only option? Could you not move the mount slightly?

loggyboy

posted on 12/4/12 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
SO its cut the bellhousing as the only option? Could you not move the mount slightly?

I could redrill holes but would only give a few mm, and dont fancy rewelding the bracket as its all powder coated.
The position the box is in the pictures, its touching the chassis, so Id need to move it out another 10mm to get about 5mm clearance on the pedalbox side (due to the angle the pedal box is at). This would mean 10mm less prop in the hole too.

I guess Raw must have done this before hence the picture theyve sent, but I would want to plate over the hole really as i dont want water and stones etc getting to the clutch mech. Just wondered if it was something that happened on all, or more recent strikers, or if its just one of those things that happens with design tollerances etc.

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 12/4/12 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Will have a look and let you know later.
Dopdog

posted on 12/4/12 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
I still think you need to have the engine and box complete in the hole, you cannot guess where you think it will go. on the older sylva strikers you did have to cut the bellhousing to fit them in. I have a type 9 on a 4age and will get some pictures for you as I will be in the garage tonight.
loggyboy

posted on 12/4/12 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dopdog
I still think you need to have the engine and box complete in the hole, you cannot guess where you think it will go. on the older sylva strikers you did have to cut the bellhousing to fit them in. I have a type 9 on a 4age and will get some pictures for you as I will be in the garage tonight.

Maybe, but as i dont have engine mounts made up yet, the exact location of the engine is going to be guess work to a certain extent. The gearbox would have to be abotu 100mm lower than it is at the mo to make any difference to where it catches (ie so the starter motor bulge, and clutch arm, would sit under the bottom edge of the chassis!)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.