Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Impact of 'adding lightness'
Slimy38

posted on 13/4/12 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Impact of 'adding lightness'

I have a feeling this is going to have been discussed many times, but here goes. With everything else being the same on a car, if you halve the weight, what happens to the 0-60? My O level physics suggests force = mass x acceleration, so halving the mass and keeping the force (engine power) the same should double the acceleration?

I suspect there will be a certain amount of diminishing returns as other things come into play (tyre grip being an obvious one). And I was considering this from halving the weight of a 2 ton tin top rather than trying to scrape every ounce from a 700 kilo seven.

matt_gsxr

posted on 13/4/12 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
If we define the unit of lightness as per tonne (i.e. 1/mass in tonnes).

Then acceleration is linear in lightness.

This is all from a theoretical physics perspective. So completely true for a rocket in outer space, I doubt it will be quite as simple in your Mondeo likely it will just bugger it up.

cliftyhanger

posted on 13/4/12 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
But the idea is correct. Do not forget to add in the mass of the driver though. That is difficult to change, though not impossible. Likewise aerodynamics and friction which are "constants" (though air resistance increases by a factor of 4 every time you double speed, friction possibly similar)
On light weight cars I reckon the greater impact is agility. After all nobody really cars how fast to 60 a car is, not really exciting stuff unless you are into drag racing.

scudderfish

posted on 13/4/12 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
But the idea is correct. Do not forget to add in the mass of the driver though. That is difficult to change, though not impossible. Likewise aerodynamics and friction which are "constants" (though air resistance increases by a factor of 4 every time you double speed, friction possibly similar)
On light weight cars I reckon the greater impact is agility. After all nobody really cars how fast to 60 a car is, not really exciting stuff unless you are into drag racing.

Reducing driver mass by 10kg is often a lot cheaper than reducing car mass by 10kg. Less pies not more carbon fibre.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 13/4/12 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Eat carbon fibre, double the benefits

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

loggyboy

posted on 13/4/12 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
The main effect of adding lightness when it comes to accelerating is reducing grip, just look at the difference in qtr mile time between a 1tonne RWD card and a 1tonne FWD car with identical power, would be as much as a second in it, which would probly equate to .5 to .75 of sec 0-60 as thats where all the difference is gained or lost. All because the weight its transfered to the driven wheels on a RWD. (touring car starts are a great example of this, just watch the BMWs shoot off compared to the rest of the FWD field)
kjouk

posted on 13/4/12 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
The returns would be fairly linear for a heavy tin-top assuming good tyres and not too much power. A quick calc suggests an reduction in time of about 1.75x, so 0-60 of 4.5s vs 7.8s for 225bhp.

The tradeoff is more slip vs better acceleration, in this case traction is limited ~0-10mph for the heavier car and ~0-20mph for the lighter one. The more power the less benefit you get from lower weight.

In the extreme cases (low weight/high power) you can be traction limited to beyond 60mph, still makes sense to go higher bhp/ton though as you can use bhp to overcome aero drag >75mph and lower weight to get around the corners quicker and carry more speed into the straights.

Peteff

posted on 13/4/12 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Bit of a rant.

Adding lightness is a stupid expression which really annoys me (well a bit anyway) If you stick something on it adds weight, if you remove something it subtracts weight and if you then replace it with something lighter you are adding weight again but not as much. You can't add lightness you can replace heavier components.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

loggyboy

posted on 13/4/12 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Adding lightness is a stupid expression which really annoys me (well a bit anyway) If you stick something on it adds weight, if you remove something it subtracts weight and if you then replace it with something lighter you are adding weight again but not as much. You can't add lightness you can replace heavier components.

I beleive its a phrase pinned to Colion Chapman, whose designs did add lightness, for example, making the gearbox a stressed component of a chassis, meaning you removed chassis weight, and didnt replace it as you would have had a gearbox of similar weight anyway. So its not ALL cases where you have replace something. And also if you look as the weight of the car as a 'whole', then by switching a component with a lighter one is adding lightness to the whole weight.

CNHSS1

posted on 13/4/12 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
i think Chapmans full famous quote was 'simplify and add lightness'.
whilst possibly not grammatically correct, its a mantra all race cars should be built by.
Chapmans obsession with no part on the car only doing one job (such as gearbox/engine stressed member) is why he revolutionised single seaters, albeit sometimes went too far and they were somewhat fragile...

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

bobinspain

posted on 13/4/12 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
I think the formula for total drag is 1/2 x rho x v^2 x s x cd x L.

(It was something like that whan I was a lad anyway). The important thing is that our cars have a very poor cd (coefficient of drag) and the v^2 in the equation means that total drag (on the performance we experience) is dependent on, and increases as a function of the square of the speed.
As was pointed out by an earlier poster, the Total Drag at 40 mph is a function of 40^2= 1600, whilst TD at 80mph is a function of 80^2= 6,400.
It explains why squeezing an extra few mph out of 'Supercars' in the 200mph range takes vastly more horses and 'bleeding edge' aerodynamics.

Slimy38

posted on 13/4/12 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff

I have to admit I do agree with the sentiment, hence the quotes....

RK

posted on 13/4/12 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
You are taking his words far too seriously. He was merely commenting on the impossibility of the task of getting speed under the well established rules of physics.
FASTdan

posted on 13/4/12 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
I always assumed 'adding lightness' was intended as being gramatically incorrect in an ironic sort of a way.....?

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
alistairolsen

posted on 14/4/12 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
From what I know of the man it would have been VERY tongue in cheek!

My Build Thread

zilspeed

posted on 15/4/12 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
The main effect of adding lightness when it comes to accelerating is reducing grip, just look at the difference in qtr mile time between a 1tonne RWD card and a 1tonne FWD car with identical power, would be as much as a second in it, which would probly equate to .5 to .75 of sec 0-60 as thats where all the difference is gained or lost. All because the weight its transfered to the driven wheels on a RWD. (touring car starts are a great example of this, just watch the BMWs shoot off compared to the rest of the FWD field)

Sorry, not buying this at all.

Your point regarding weight transfer (completely valid and I agree with 100%) is entirely different to a static weight difference between two otherwise identical cars.

Let's take it to its logical conclusion.

Car A has 180bhp, front engine, rear wheel drive. It weighs 1200kg.

Car B has 180bhp, front engine, rear wheel drive. It weighs 450kg.

Both car have a front rear weights split of 60/40

Which car will accelerate harder from a standing start ?

The whole concept of light cars not being able to put their power down ignores half of the argument.
Weight that isn't there doesn't need to be accelerated, braked and turned into corners.
Light cars may, in a static situation, have less weight pushing down on the contact patches of the driving wheels.
But they are far less difficult to move and the fact that they have that lessened grip is offset by the car being much more able to be moved with less difficulty than a lardy thing that actually needs all that grip to move it.

loony

posted on 15/4/12 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed

Using old "CARTEST" - with Caterham Super7 at 180bhp I got 0-60 in 7,2s for Car A and 3.9s for Car B (with CarB wheelspin at 1th and 2nd gear)
Maybe it's not professional tool, but you can change lots of parameters.
Link to CARTEST site: http://www.cartestsoftware.com/cartest4.5/

Lucas

MakeEverything

posted on 15/4/12 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loony
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed

Using old "CARTEST" - with Caterham Super7 at 180bhp I got 0-60 in 7,2s for Car A and 3.9s for Car B (with CarB wheelspin at 1th and 2nd gear)
Maybe it's not professional tool, but you can change lots of parameters.
Link to CARTEST site: http://www.cartestsoftware.com/cartest4.5/

Great bit of software - i just bought it!!

Not sure about wheelies in mine though.....

Wheelie!
Wheelie!

ETA: I had the length over all incorrect by 1000mm! Thatll teach me for guess-timating it!

This simulator is excellent. Itll be interesting to see how close the simulation results are to the real thing.

[Edited on 15-4-12 by MakeEverything]

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.