Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SBD Motorsport - lots of nice parts arrived, join me in the orgasmatron
FuryRebuild

posted on 16/4/12 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
SBD Motorsport - lots of nice parts arrived, join me in the orgasmatron

So, I've been away for a week, and asked SBDev to send my stuff last friday for delivery today (rather than it sit with a courier for a week and get lost). That they did, and I now have spread out on my sitting-room floor the following:

• Crank - keyway added
  • new oil-pump drive gear, keyed
  • New lightened front pulley trigger/timing gear - keyed
  • A pair of new stage 1 cams
  • A pair of vernier timing wheels and bolts
  • A set of uprated big-end shells, and new ARP stretch bolts and lube
  • New timing chain
  • New ARP Flywheel bolts
  • New competition head gasket
  • Uprated Manual chain tensioner
  • New valve stem seals

I am mating this to jenvey 45s, some random form of engine management (thinking megasquirt, but more than happy to entertain an engine-management war in this thread), electric water pump with my own controller, and things like a lightened flywheel from RWD.

I wasn't intending to change the cam followers, but if ford do a cheap set, I may change them as a matter of course.

So, join me in saying "ooo, shiney"

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

loggyboy

posted on 16/4/12 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
no 'ooos' without pics!!
rost

posted on 16/4/12 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
no 'ooos' without pics!!

2nd

Charlie don't surf!

neilp1

posted on 16/4/12 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FuryRebuild
. That they did, and I now have spread out on my sitting-room floor the following:

I like it. Where better than the sitting room!!!!

FuryRebuild

posted on 16/4/12 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
I think I will get a set of followers - I remember the main cam surfaces were starting to show slight signs of wear, which means either the follower surface will be wearing as well, or smeared with worn camshaft.

IIRC, I don't think there were any other disposable bolts in there that needed replacing. I may need to order a set of head-bolts (usually a good thing) but will need to check if the camshaft bearing bolts need replacing.

It's a bugger, is all this engine strengthening. This is stage 1, lots of investment to make it strong before I do the next stage next year (add a super-charger and uprated pistons and rods). I am intending to hoon it around a few track-days later this year and with my 4-speed quaife (good for hill-climbing) I can see me being sat at the readline for a while. No issue once and a while, but for repeated running there (with a forcasted 215bhp build), then I need to do the strengthening first.

I could go wilder cams, pocketed pistons and rods, but that is a less tractable route than supercharging.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

AntonUK

posted on 16/4/12 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote

Build Photos Here

FuryRebuild

posted on 17/4/12 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a picture of the new and old pulley side by side.

I've covered off in the Weight-Loss Programme part of the side I have for the rebuild - scroll down a bit and you can see the comparison table showing the weight loss stuff. I'm shattered and have a lot of work to do, so haven't uploaded any pictures here yet.

click me for the picture

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

flak monkey

posted on 18/4/12 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Bolts, replace the main bearing bolts and head bolts with ARP studs if you are doing lots of high revs.

Cam boots are fine as stock

HowardB

posted on 18/4/12 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
three things spring to mind:

One, I am impressed with the shiny stuff!
Two, I am pleased that you haven't posted pictures of your personal weight loss
Three, my personal weight loss has been about 15kg, cheap and I feel much better too,...

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Ivan

posted on 18/4/12 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
That stuff looks great.

Don't know the Duratec but many cars have a rubber layer in the front pulley making them into part of the engine vibration damping system - does the Duratec have this and if so how have you compensated.

[Edited on 18/4/12 by Ivan]

FuryRebuild

posted on 21/4/12 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ivan

Nope - there's no kind of dynamic damping on the duratec. And even then I'd be taking it off.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

FuryRebuild

posted on 21/4/12 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Shiney things - here's the pictures you have all been waiting for

Ok

For your onanistic pleasure, here's the set of pictures from all the new shiny things from SBDev:

Firstly we have my lovely keyed crank - sorted so that a massive torque-shock doesn't spin the timing chain pulley around and cause the top-end of the engine to self-ingest.
Description
Description

Now we have the timing chain pulley - with a keyway cut into it to (obviously) fit over the crank. I am assuming that somewhere in the country, some casualty unit has had to cut this off someone's unit:
Description
Description

Here's a couple of pictures of the new poly-v groove pulley. not only is it 1KG lighter than the other pulley, but the radius of the pulley is lower - this means the alternator, water-pump, air-con and powersteering all spin slower. Now, I don't have air-con in the fury and neither do i need powersteering. bearing in mind I hoiked out the water-pump for an electric one, it's only got to drive the alternator. This means 1KG less rotational mass to sap energy, but also I will need a special-order belt from somewhere.
Description
Description

It also looks great - good that it's on the other side of the front cover. It should be seen.
Description
Description

This is an image of the new lockable tensioner - it looks really a lot like the old one, but I just wanted to point out the comprehensive instructions SBD provide:
Description
Description

Here are the new adjustable timing wheels. Weirdly, the cam's don't need any timing being dialled in but the cams don't come with timing wheels. I'm not sure if the original duratec cams have detachable wheels to transplant. I bought these under advisement from Craig at SBD.
Description
Description

Finally, I had this for breakfast today and it needs glorifying:
Description
Description

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

HowardB

posted on 21/4/12 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
yum,.. fried eggs,..

Interesting,... looking forward to seeing it on the road, I am sure that you'll finish yours before I finish mine!

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.