Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: changing locks on a tintop
nib1980

posted on 24/4/12 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
changing locks on a tintop

Hi All,

I have a t reg vaxhaul corsa B

I noticed the other day the 1 key i have looks to be getting a crack, and i can see it breaking!

i tried to get 2 more cut but the key cutter tried and says its too worn to copy (tried twice)

so i'm thinking about changing the locks.

what do i need? i know about the transponder ring on the column (is it needed?)

do i also need the car ecu?

advice will help please!

nEIL

Ninehigh

posted on 24/4/12 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
You could change the lock and leave the old key on the same ring, I'm sure it would be close enough to where it needs to be to work

britishtrident

posted on 24/4/12 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
The transponder ring round the ignition lock is simply an aerial for the ecu all it needs is the transponder chip from the original key (some manufacturers have the transponder in the fob) somewhere in close proximity.
As long as you have the original matched transponder all you need is the mechanical lock parts and keys from a scrapper ie ignition lock barrel, front door exterior handles, hatch lock plus keys.

If you only have one original key set you can get the original transponder cloned to give you two working keys or simply taped the original chip next to the transponder aerial ring --- which of course means you have in effect neutered the imobilliser which your insurance company won't like on the other hand a T reg Corsa B is probably worth in the insurance companies eyes about the same as whatever excess you are carrying.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

paulf

posted on 24/4/12 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
The chip inside the key is usually removable so you could just swap it to the new key fob, the inductive ring on the ignition switch does not need to be changed .
Paul

gremlin1234

posted on 24/4/12 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
you may also be able to make a new key with the right blank and a file, avoiding copying the wear / bends cracks etc.

saves changing 4 locks

dray13dad

posted on 24/4/12 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
drop the cowling cover off around lock,zip tie old key to transponder, refit covers and of you go.nobody will know the diffferance.
nib1980

posted on 24/4/12 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
like the sounds of this old key to transponder, what the risk of the transponder being confused by two signals? i.e. the one in the new key
Ninehigh

posted on 24/4/12 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
The new key wouldn't have the transponder, or if it does it's got the old one in

nib1980

posted on 24/4/12 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
so the two signals wont confuse the ecu?
Ninehigh

posted on 24/4/12 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
No there won't be two signals.. You'll either have the old transponder on the old key and keep it with the new key, or you have the old transponder IN the new key

SteveWalker

posted on 24/4/12 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Vauxhall may still have the key number available and that means you can get a new key cut without copying the original. Even if you have to get Vauxhall to do it. it shouldn't be that pricey as you won't need a new transponder.
bigbravedave

posted on 24/4/12 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
I have heard stories of people who take out key insurance (the ones that come with the keyrings that can go in the postbox) and then "lose" their key. They have been known to get a full car re locked at a main deler for £15
britishtrident

posted on 25/4/12 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
The security system can cope with more than one transponder signal, otherwise it would run into problems if more one key is in the car.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.