Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which induction for power?
Moorron

posted on 24/4/12 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Which induction for power?

Hi guys ive got little work to do on the car so i thought i better come up with something to keep me out of trouble inside the house.

I currently have a ZX12 power Mk Indy using a ITG filter that drops right ontop of the trumpets, its a tight fit and the bonet sits on top of it. It gets its air from the standard MK Indy bonnet vent. Will it be any better if i go about making a Large alloy airbox for the top of the engine and run an inline filter from a pipe running from just above the radiator? So the air will enter the nose cone and anything that doesnt go into the rad goes up into this duct.

Will this be worth it or might it make the engine run hotter with the cold feed stealing air from the rad?

If not then im off to see if my hand can be nailed to the side of my head.

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

yellowcab

posted on 24/4/12 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there,

I'm in the process of making an alloy airbox for my Busa powered MK Indy, but that's purely to reduce the induction noise for when on the track...

Any airbox will reduce the amount of warm air intake slightly due to the ducting that you speak of only having cold air enter it, but I think the power increase (if any) would be negligible...

Providing your car isn't an Indy R, and you have exposed side bits either side of the nose cone, then the ducting could sit down there...

If it earns you brownie points and pocket money from the wife, for spending time 'indoors' then do it anyway lol

Take care, Olz

[Edited on 24/4/12 by yellowcab]

twybrow

posted on 24/4/12 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
I have a mould to suit my zx12 lump... It makes a 2 part box, that fits under my bonnet....
kjouk

posted on 24/4/12 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
A while back some dyno testing indicated airbox is the way to go for more power vs an open filter on westy. No reasoning on why but my understanding is that it's likely as much about air velocity as it is temperature.
matt_gsxr

posted on 25/4/12 at 03:54 AM Reply With Quote
forced
HowardB

posted on 25/4/12 at 05:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
forced

+1

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

jeffw

posted on 25/4/12 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
The major bike manufactures spend a fortune designing airboxes to maximise the power from their engines. You would be wise to adapt the stock box if you can.

Steve Hignett

posted on 25/4/12 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
Hi there,

I'm working through my garage at the moment, sorting out stuff that I can sell to raise money for a car.
I found two things which could perhaps be of interest.

The first is a 2 part airbox mould, the same mould was used to make the airbox in this video; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiqZE3-LDIg

The second is a good sized Pipercross Filter, unused and a (Blank) carbon Fibre backing plate...

Both will be for sale very shortly and for a good price, and I can get photo's of both if you wish.
Or if anyone else is interested, then please get in touch via U2U..

Cheers,
Steve

BobM

posted on 25/4/12 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
The major bike manufactures spend a fortune designing airboxes to maximise the power from their engines.

With respect, no they don't. They spend a fortune compromising their airbox so it'll fit under/within a standard motorcycle tank losing as little performance as possible in the meantime.

Not very Locost but very BEC

Nick DV

posted on 25/4/12 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The major bike manufactures spend a fortune designing airboxes to maximise the power from their engines. You would be wise to adapt the stock box if you can.

+1

Cheers, Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

Nick DV

posted on 25/4/12 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BobM
quote:
The major bike manufactures spend a fortune designing airboxes to maximise the power from their engines.

With respect, no they don't. They spend a fortune compromising their airbox so it'll fit under/within a standard motorcycle tank losing as little performance as possible in the meantime.

That is also true, but the bike box, if it can be adapted to fit, is pretty close to what you need.

Cheers, Nick

theduck

posted on 25/4/12 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Cut a hole in the side of the bonnet and add another scoop directly online with the filter?
BobM

posted on 25/4/12 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nick DV
That is also true, but the bike box, if it can be adapted to fit, is pretty close to what you need.

Agreed, and certainly better that an open sausage filter, especially if you can duct cool air to it.

Nick DV

posted on 25/4/12 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Agreed, and certainly better that an open sausage filter, especially if you can duct cool air to it.

True again, and of course the massive reduction of induction noise.

Cheers, Nick

yellowcab

posted on 25/4/12 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
I'm leaving one end of my airbox open, as it sits directly behind the bonnet vent :-)

jeffw

posted on 25/4/12 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

I'm sure you are correct and that it would be possible to build a better airbox than the stock bike one but I certainly wouldn't have the technical know how and R&D budget to do better than the factory, compromised or not. I seriously doubt anyone in our little cottage industry could do better either but I'm prepared to be proved wrong.

Nick DV

posted on 25/4/12 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab
I'm leaving one end of my airbox open, as it sits directly behind the bonnet vent :-)

Get a filter in there before the airbox or you will still have too much induction noise for trackdays etc.

Cheers, Nick

yellowcab

posted on 25/4/12 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Good shout!

My intention was to put some air filter foam on the back of my bonnet scoop enterence, so only filtered air could pass through into the box...

BobM

posted on 25/4/12 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffwI'm sure you are correct and that it would be possible to build a better airbox than the stock bike one but I certainly wouldn't have the technical know how and R&D budget to do better than the factory, compromised or not. I seriously doubt anyone in our little cottage industry could do better either but I'm prepared to be proved wrong.

My understanding is that ideally you want:
1. A large volume - GSXR1000 airbox is 8.5 litres
2. A shape that encourages the air flow to slow down and smooth out as it approaches the trumpets
3. Nice smooth inner surfaces
4. Positive pressure (i.e. ram air)

There are then other issues like pressure wave pulses that are obviously way beyond us mere mortals.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.