Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mot fail
richwill

posted on 3/5/12 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
Mot fail

Just got my velocity back from the Mot test. It was the first Mot that the car has had since I built it.
The fail points were headlights both aiming too low. No problem there really as easy to remedy.
The main concern I have was that the tester has failed most of the suspension bushes for having too much play.
These were all built with Luego supplied poly bushes and the car has only done 3000 miles since I built it.
I cant believe that the poly bushes would have worn already. I believe that the play may come from the diameter of the bolts used and the steel tubes in the bushes being incompatable.
Has any one else had this problem?

Ben_Copeland

posted on 3/5/12 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Metric and imperial sizes probably. Try measuring the bush tubes and bolts. Also the holes in the brackets

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Daddylonglegs

posted on 3/5/12 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with Ben, sounds like the issue to me.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Peteff

posted on 3/5/12 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
The bolts should clamp the crush tubes tight in the brackets, where exactly is the play in them ? The bush should also be tight in the wishbone eye or wherever it is and rotate on the tube only so it may be a sloppy fit in the eye.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

richwill

posted on 3/5/12 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the input. I will be looking at it shortly to discover the exact problem.Hopefully it will be a simple fix.
bi22le

posted on 3/5/12 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
I would be supprised if it is down to the metric \ Imperial difference. The crush tubes will prevent any excess movement found during MOT.

Plus about 80% cars on here have the same set up and they pass thier MOT every year.

Go have a look at the car and hunt around. Good luck, I bet your glad the weather is still turning and not already here!!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

will121

posted on 3/5/12 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
The bolts should clamp the crush tubes tight in the brackets, where exactly is the play in them ? The bush should also be tight in the wishbone eye or wherever it is and rotate on the tube only so it may be a sloppy fit in the eye.

As said above the diameter of the bolt inside the bush crush tube should have no effect on play, its primary role of the bolt is to clamp firmly the crush tube within the chassis mount.
make sure bolts tight and firmly clamp the crush tube eg not to short and have a good look to see where play may be from

pewe

posted on 3/5/12 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
I had a similar problem when putting poly bushes onto the rear of the F27.
The nearest stock bush crush tube width didn't quite fill out the mounting bracket.
Overcame that by buying some big repair/penny washers, reaming out the holes to size and shimminig so the crush tubes were tight.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.