Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sudden power cut-off!!!
fullpint

posted on 6/5/12 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Sudden power cut-off!!!

Happened twice on Weds and twice today? Any ideas as to were I should start looking.
Ok it only happens at low speed or on idle.. Today is happened out-side my home with the car on idle and then also in Weston along the beach road.
I lose ALL electrical power. The dash goes out and then you re-start (took to goes today) push the start buttoen and then off you go. What I don't want is for this to happen whilst on a striaght doing 70mph on a single lane with traffic behind.

My car is a Mk Indy Blade 919 lump.

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..
www.tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 6/5/12 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Ignition circuit power feed is the first place to look, before and after switch or key power on.
Why it works when you push the button I have no idea but could be a relay tripping out

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

wylliezx9r

posted on 6/5/12 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Loose battery terminal?

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

steve m

posted on 6/5/12 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
On an old motorbike of mine, it was a wire loose in the crimp, attached to the ignition barrel

Took hours to find it, and sometimes just driving over a crack in the road would trigger it to "lose all current"

fullpint

posted on 7/5/12 at 06:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
On an old motorbike of mine, it was a wire loose in the crimp, attached to the ignition barrel

Took hours to find it, and sometimes just driving over a crack in the road would trigger it to "lose all current"

I will check that ne out. Mind you no barrel on my car just a flick switch but either way those crimps could be the cause.
Battery terminals are good.. Will let you know what I find..

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fullpint

posted on 8/5/12 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Well wires all seem fine!!!! Will have to wait for the dry weather to return to see if it's cured it's self...

RoadkillUK

posted on 8/5/12 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
We had this problem with our Zetec, we traced it back to the ignition barrel, bad contacts inside. I suggest you take a look at more terminals

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

tompat3463

posted on 24/5/12 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a bad earth to me.

Hope car is going ok.

I do miss it

fullpint

posted on 19/6/12 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
It's happened again..... This time I was on a bigish (Bowerhill) round-a-bout.. A fellow 7 owner pulled up to help me push my car off the main road. Offered to tow me but neither of us had a rope..
Anyway after about 15mins I got it going away only for it to happen a further 2 miles down the road. Got back to my unit and its now fine!!! Drove home with out any problems.. Gonna pop out in a mo for a 20 mile run..If it is a bad earth it could take a while to find it

ShaunB

posted on 20/6/12 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
You don't need to drive it to find the problem, simply start it and systematically work over all the major power wiring pulling to see if you have a dodgy connection. If you find nothing tap the ignition barrel.

Shaun.

fullpint

posted on 21/6/12 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShaunB
You don't need to drive it to find the problem, simply start it and systematically work over all the major power wiring pulling to see if you have a dodgy connection. If you find nothing tap the ignition barrel.

Shaun.

Done that a few times now. Taping and banging but nothing

Hellfire

posted on 21/6/12 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Systematically disconnect your earths, clean the contact faces with sandpaper and re-connect?

Phil

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 21/6/12 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar thing with a dodgy main earth cable onto the chassis. Cleaned up all the main lead connections and it sorted it.
fullpint

posted on 22/6/12 at 05:26 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers guy's, guess with this crappy weather its the ideal time to do it.. Will let you know how it goes...

fullpint

posted on 24/6/12 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
Hopefully ive found the problem!!! It looks like it was the main fuse connection thingy.. There's a plug type thing and the terminals were dirty and you could easlier pull it part. All cleaned and secured with a zip-tie. Test run yesterday was good and will rack up a few miles today (I hope). I do hope this problem can be put to bed now and will wait for the next challange

NeilP

posted on 24/6/12 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Ah the joys of kit car ownership - little problems to solve and solutions to invent - still couldn't tell you to this day if I enjoy tinkering or driving more...

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.