Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake ideas for my Scooter
ChrisW

posted on 9/5/12 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Brake ideas for my Scooter

Sorry everyone, more scooter related questions!

For those that don't know the story so far it's a mobility scooter chassis with 110cc pit bike engine running a rear axle from a kart.

I'm trying to work out what to do about brakes. A kart brake caliper would be the obvious solution, but they're designed to work off a pedal whereas I want motorbike-style handlebar brakes. Now I guess I could use a motorbike hydraulic lever, but I can't find any information on master cylinder sizes and have no idea whether this would produce a sensible amount of braking effort.

So then I looked at motorbike calipers, but it seems bike discs are thinner than the 12mm that I have on the kart axle, so I'd have to adapt a motorbike disc to fit the kart carrier. Sounds like a nightmare.

Does anyone have any pointers or bright ideas?

Thanks, Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nige

posted on 9/5/12 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
what about pit bike or small 50cc scooter brakes
are they too big ?

when you start this journey
you think it will be done in " no " time but then " no " turns into a " bloody " long time

ChrisW

posted on 9/5/12 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
They won't take the 12mm thick disc, so I'd have to try to fit a thinner disc to the kart axle carrier.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
v8kid

posted on 9/5/12 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
It's quite cheap to get discs turned down I got a pair reduced to 10mm, drilled and the pcd altered for £30. Apparantly most time is spent setting them up on the lathe and thats where the cost is.

Cheers

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

designer

posted on 9/5/12 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Don't some mountain bikes have hand operated disc brakes?
ChrisW

posted on 9/5/12 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
It's quite cheap to get discs turned down I got a pair reduced to 10mm, drilled and the pcd altered for £30. Apparantly most time is spent setting them up on the lathe and thats where the cost is.

The problem with doing that is that it's a vented disc, so if you turned it down to 6-7mm you'd be left with the space in the middle!

As for mountain bike brakes, I suspect the same problem. That's if they were even man enough for the job which I doubt!

Chris

My gaff my rules

maccmike

posted on 9/5/12 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
I use a front brake caliper off a pit bike. Disc is a gsxr1100. Cool thing is as its a mechanical cable operated caliper, Iv spaced it and used longer bolts to accommodate thicker disc. Cost me about 12quid off ebay.
ChrisW

posted on 9/5/12 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maccmike
I use a front brake caliper off a pit bike. Disc is a gsxr1100. Cool thing is as its a mechanical cable operated caliper, Iv spaced it and used longer bolts to accommodate thicker disc. Cost me about 12quid off ebay.

Sounds interesting! Any chance of a photo?

Chris

My gaff my rules

JAG

posted on 9/5/12 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
How heavy will the whole thing be with you onboard?

How many discs will be on the vehicle?

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

JAG

posted on 9/5/12 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
ooops double post

[Edited on 9/5/12 by JAG]

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Chippy

posted on 9/5/12 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Aren't all callipers made in two parts, and if so can't you just make up a spacer plate to make the calliper fit the disc, seems like a plan, :-) Cheers Ray

Must type faster. Ho Hum!

[Edited on 9-5-12 by Chippy]

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Fred W B

posted on 9/5/12 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Older karts used cable operated brake calipers

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

nick205

posted on 9/5/12 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Just rub your shoe on the wheel to slow down - that's what the kids round here do after they've removed the brakes from their BMX bikes

ChrisW

posted on 9/5/12 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
I'd guess it's going to be the best part of 150kg with my fat arse on board. There's a single disc on the rear axle.

Chris

My gaff my rules

Dangle_kt

posted on 9/5/12 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Mini Moto caliper, cheap, cable operated, same lever as a push bike too
ChrisW

posted on 9/5/12 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
Mini Moto caliper, cheap, cable operated, same lever as a push bike too

Can they be spaced out to fit the kart disc?

Chris

My gaff my rules

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.