Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT but it is an engine
quinnj3

posted on 12/5/12 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
OT but it is an engine

Hi Guys,

Off topic but I got a problem with my mower and thought someone on here might help.
The crank was bent by my dad so I took it out to get it straightened. I've now rebuilt the engine, reground the valves etc but I've got a new problem. I don't have a spark. I've taken the magneto / coil and the spark plug off and put it on another engine which proved the coil and plug are good, but I can't get it to spark on my own engine. The engine is a Honda GCV160 5.5hp. There is definately magnetism in the built in magnets on the flywheel and I've made sure the gap is about the thickness of a business card, the flywheel is close to the magneto but never touches it. Any suggestions?

thanks

Jonny

my aim is to build my own locost wether it takes me a week or 10 years to get started, i'm sure i will sometime

tasmod

posted on 12/5/12 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Shorted kill switch. i.e. always off ?

I had one that had frayed the wire where it entered cooling shroud.

Rob

quinnj3

posted on 12/5/12 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
It was not the kill switch as I had that disconnected for testing the spark. I have since got the mower running. There was a lot of oil and grease on the flywheel and armature so I used panel wipe to clean them and got a good spark straight away. The mower is very hard to start but when it does run it runs very smoothly for a short while. I now need to strip the carb again as there were gaskets made up very roughly and they seem to be disrupting the supply of fuel as the mower seems to run fast and then slow with a lot of splutter. I also had it overfilled with oil, maybe hydraulic locking is making it run rough? I also need to set up the governer. I thought getting the mower running would be hard but it seems setting it up to run well may be alot harder. I've no idea how to setup the carb or diagnose wether it is over-fueling, under-fueling or bad air supply. Can anybody share some engine knoledge to help me?

thanks

Jonny

my aim is to build my own locost wether it takes me a week or 10 years to get started, i'm sure i will sometime

stevegough

posted on 12/5/12 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Put a bike engine in it - that's all they're good for, anyway......

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

quinnj3

posted on 12/5/12 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
I got the mower running ok now. Starts first pull no problem. The gaskets that were cut out of gasket paper were not cut out right disrupting the flow of air and fuel through the carb. into the intake. All I need to do now is adjust the governer and throttle settings and its good to go.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.