Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Supercharged R1
Furyblade_Lee

posted on 15/5/12 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Supercharged R1

Does anyone know of any kits to supercharge an '03 5PW R1 (injection)?? Only seem to find kits for later models?
adithorp

posted on 15/5/12 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
I've only seen the ones that were for the 5vy and were originaly designed for snomobiles.

Hobbsy was looking at forced induction but I think it was turbo rather than s/charger. Couple of competitions and you're looking for more power already???

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

matt_gsxr

posted on 15/5/12 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
maybe try U2U to crafty I think he has one on his
Furyblade_Lee

posted on 15/5/12 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Ha Adi no, just enquiring..... saw the supercharger conversion for later versions and it just looked reall neat compared to the turbo route, cheaper and linear power. Cant be dealing with turbo rush on lightweight cars, fine for drag racing but don't think it is for me.
CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2751
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex
Member Is Online

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 15/5/12 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Furyblade_Lee
Ha Adi no, just enquiring..... saw the supercharger conversion for later versions and it just looked reall neat compared to the turbo route, cheaper and linear power. Cant be dealing with turbo rush on lightweight cars, fine for drag racing but don't think it is for me.

Coward !!!

Furyblade_Lee

posted on 15/5/12 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
I remember back in 2003 Mac Allardyce had an RS turbo powered Striker... F***ing lethal!
johnny chimpo

posted on 15/5/12 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
I might be interested in this aswell. Was thinking bout going down the turbo route but supercharging would probably suit my car and where it's used better.

If you get anywhere with supercharger kits could you post up a link?

Cheers

johnny chimpo

posted on 15/5/12 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
I might be interested in this aswell. Was thinking bout going down the turbo route but supercharging would probably suit my car and where it's used better.

If you get anywhere with supercharger kits could you post up a link?

Cheers

crafty

posted on 16/5/12 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
Ive got a Rotrex on my 5YV.

Just finished fitting it, ran it for the first time on the weekend.
We are working on the ducting more air to the intercooler along with fresh air to the intake, air temps were too high after one lap.

Stay tuned.... will post video when I get it sorted.

For info on where I bought it see here >>>

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=155390

[Edited on 16/5/12 by crafty]

Ultima GTR - 600hp Magnacharged LS2
MNR Vortx - Supercharged R1
Porsche 356 - midmounted Audi V8

paublo999

posted on 24/5/12 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Can I ask how much boost you ate seeing and how the toothed pulleys are working out?

Looks good. I have belt slip with the traditional 7 ribbed belt and would be interested in knowing more about these pulleys etc.

Thanks
Paul

My videos http://www.youtube.com/user/ninjabogeyracing

crafty

posted on 24/5/12 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
It's geared for 7lbs at max boost. I have a blow off valve for safety to let boost out if the throttle closes quickly.

Geared belts work well, I'm running an idler pulley, tensioned to take slack out of the belt and locked off, not a sprung tensioner like a ribbed belt.

I also have a supercharged Chevy LS2 in my ultima, it's running a manga charger. That runs on a 6 rib belt with no problems, and that blower is much larger and harder to turn than a Bec one.

What blower are you using?
What tensioner are you using?
With a ribbed belt you need at least 180 degrees wrap on the blower and on the crank. How much do you have (any photos?)
make sure you are not getting any flex in your brackets.
The belt it will "grow" in length at revs, if it's too long to start with that may cause problems.
What belts are you using, Try "Gatorback" belts, they stay cooler than a continuous rib.

paublo999

posted on 24/5/12 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Blower is a rotrex c30-94 and I'm getting 10.5 lbs of boost at max rpm but have been advised I should be getting much more. Potentially up to 15psi.

I have some belt dust from the standard rubbed rotrex pulley setup. I am still tryjng to find out about the bekt supplied but i dibt think it is anything special. I have an adjustable tensioner from TTS that is locked off and verified tight.

Car has developed a misfire above 4k but idles perfectly and is not generating the same power. I have checked for boost leaks and changed the plugs with no joy.

I am a bit lost until I get it back on the dyno but would like to improve the belt system. If that was to change pulleys and go for a toothed belt I would do so as it is a competition car and I am missing events.

I am trying to go and see my tuner and see what he can make of it.

[Edited on 24/5/12 by paublo999]

crafty

posted on 6/6/12 at 12:58 AM Reply With Quote
how'd you get on with this? did you get it sorted?

Post some pics.

paublo999

posted on 10/6/12 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Car is running great and have ideas on the hesitation at 4.8k. Once that is sorted it will be great to drive

Unfortunately I put it backwards into the tyres at Golspie but damage not too bad.

hobbsy

posted on 26/6/12 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
I've only seen the ones that were for the 5vy and were originaly designed for snomobiles.

Hobbsy was looking at forced induction but I think it was turbo rather than s/charger. Couple of competitions and you're looking for more power already???

I was initially looking at the turbo route (even bought a brand new Mitsubishi turbo) however if I am now thinking Rotrex supercharger - in essence the same one as Crafty is using however my install will be slightly different as I'm running a 5PW rather than a 5VY.

Crafty - interested to see your video and more photos of the install.

jeffw

posted on 26/6/12 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paublo999
Blower is a rotrex c30-94 and I'm getting 10.5 lbs of boost at max rpm but have been advised I should be getting much more. Potentially up to 15psi.

I have some belt dust from the standard rubbed rotrex pulley setup. I am still tryjng to find out about the bekt supplied but i dibt think it is anything special. I have an adjustable tensioner from TTS that is locked off and verified tight.

Car has developed a misfire above 4k but idles perfectly and is not generating the same power. I have checked for boost leaks and changed the plugs with no joy.

I am a bit lost until I get it back on the dyno but would like to improve the belt system. If that was to change pulleys and go for a toothed belt I would do so as it is a competition car and I am missing events.

I am trying to go and see my tuner and see what he can make of it.

[Edited on 24/5/12 by paublo999]

I have the same Supercharger on my Phoenix. The peak boost at the charger is around 1 bar (14.5 psi) and I have a drop of around 5psi through my. rubbish, intercooler. So if your 10.5 psi is at the plenum it will be about right.

My Omex/TTS kit runs a stretch belt which was supplied by TTS.

paublo999

posted on 26/6/12 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Jeff. Putting the misfire down to plugs. Moved to a cr10ek and the car has settled down. It would be good to calculate the merits of more boost versus cooler intake temps and decide what to tackle next. TTS have a Caterham Busa on Facebook that they have just done that looks rather pretty and has 300bhpat the wheels.

Unfortunately starved the engine of oil at the weekend and it has a nasty rattle so it is on a pallet heading south for a rebuild

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.