Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Are sierra 4x4 and 2wd front uprights the same ?
froggy

posted on 20/5/12 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Are sierra 4x4 and 2wd front uprights the same ?

Does anyone know if the non cosworth 4x4 front uprights have the same geometry as the standard 2wd unit ? I have some 4x4 units and other than having a cv instead of a plug to secure the bearing they look pretty similar but I don't have 2wd unit to compare it with .

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

Chippy

posted on 20/5/12 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
From memory the dimensions are the same, the only difference being the UJ's. Not sure if they will accept the 2WD axles and blanking plugs though, may have different size bearings. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Minicooper

posted on 20/5/12 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know if it makes any difference to you but I know the top and bottom mountings are different

Cheers
David

[Edited on 20/5/12 by Minicooper]

Liam

posted on 20/5/12 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure if the geometry is the same or not. Apart from the obvious big hole instead of a stub axle which, as you say, you can get round by having a butchered CV joint to hold everything together, the top and bottom mounts are different. Top mount has a bigger hole (thicker strut) so if you are fitting those mushroom adaptors for fitting a balljoint you need to have custom bigger ones made, and the bottom joint has a straight-sided pinch bolt arrangement instead of the 2WD's tapered hole arrangement as the driveshaft on the 4x4 means there isn't space for the tapered joint.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.